Builds My 78' Barn find FJ45 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have finally felt well enough to spend some dedication time in the garage working on the 45. I had a local shop finish the AC installation for me. He had the tools to custom bend the hard lines under the dash. I'm pleased with the end product. I need to get rid of the white tie wraps and tidy up the wiring. But with the unit blowing 39 degrees F. I have no room to complain. I may have put a little effort into the top tank of the radiator while I was knocking around in the garage as well. I still need to plumb the snorkel to the intake plenum. With the AC completed I can start laying that out.

IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG

I was able to get the fuel gauge functioning. I had gone around and around with the wiring and finally called the DDD tech line. After a short discussion it was determined that my relatively new sending unit was the issue. So I ordered a new one from Toyota and installed it today. It didn't work, just like the first one. So I dug through Marks notes on my rebuilt harness and they reminded me that the sending unit runs on a sub harness from the main harness. I slipped under the truck to inspect the connection and my problem was staring me in the face. The two connectors were wired backwards from each other. So I swapped the pins in one connector and everything was right with the world again. To be fair to Mark he did not have my rear main harness in hand when he made the fuel sub harness. I should have noticed it when I installed the sub harness. Oh well live and learn! I'm just glad that all of my new gauges are functioning. Here's a picture of the new OEM sending unit and part number in case anyone has trouble ordering one.

IMG_1742.JPG

With the AC working and the fuel gauge on line and functioning I was finally ready to install the passenger seat.

IMG_1748.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG

Now I just need to get the final cut and buff done on the paint and have the headliner installed. I'm scheduled to take it in next Thursday for that. After that I can hang the bumpers and start driving it!

That truck is looking amazing!!!

This rig makes me happy in all the right places!

Thanks! You need to come down and see it in person. It should be back from the body shop by the end of the week.

Now I just need to get the final cut and buff done on the paint and have the headliner installed. I'm scheduled to take it in next Thursday for that. After that I can hang the bumpers and start driving it!

As someone who is finally driving mine again after a 2 year break, I can vouch that the smile on my face may be permanent, as I'm sure yours will be. Nice truck brother.

Thanks @73fj ! For the few miles I have driven it already the grin was from ear to ear!!

Sampson is getting closer to complete. I retrieved him from the body shop last Thursday. Saturday I installed the front bumper/winch. Sunday afternoon I installed the rear bumper with some help from fellow club member Scott and his son G. Today I drove him to work for the first time!! That was fun!!

IMG_1762.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1763.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom