Mstudt's 94 LC Adventures and Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mstudt

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I'm starting this thread to document my first 80 Series build, and some of the adventures that I'm hoping to see in this rig.

How it all started. Over the last couple of years I've attended the Panhandle Overland Rally in Sandpoint Idaho, and since have been looking for a good 80. With new connections in the area I decided to pull the trigger on a low mile 80 this past September. The rig has some minor issues that I'll be addressing right away; ABS light is on, locker switch is blinking, CV's are clicking, front seats, and new tires. I'm sure there's more that I'm not seeing or hearing yet, but it's a solid rig with a 163k on it.

Current state of the 80.

tCa8Vl.jpg

Here are some additional pictures of the outside.

l4UU53.jpg

Lo5jbE.jpg

RqFvpF.jpg

SzAv6H.jpg

Looks clean from way back here! Some of those maintenance items you mentioned are pricey, but you already know that.

Any intentions for mods?

Looks clean from way back here! Some of those maintenance items you mentioned are pricey, but you already know that.

Any intentions for mods?
It's already pricey and it isn't even in the driveway yet!

I do plan on building this out as a camping/exploring rig, and I already have a good amount of parts ready to go on it. Some of those include new Scheel-Mann front seats, Overland Sector Venture wheels, Falken Wildpeak RT 315/70/17 tires, Sherpa roof rack, and front axle rebuild parts. I'm still researching lifts, but I'm leaning towards Icon since I've had good luck with their products so far.

I'll have plenty of updates on this, and will be sure to post them.

Mike

It's already pricey and it isn't even in the driveway yet!

I do plan on building this out as a camping/exploring rig, and I already have a good amount of parts ready to go on it. Some of those include new Scheel-Mann front seats, Overland Sector Venture wheels, Falken Wildpeak RT 315/70/17 tires, Sherpa roof rack, and front axle rebuild parts. I'm still researching lifts, but I'm leaning towards Icon since I've had good luck with their products so far.

I'll have plenty of updates on this, and will be sure to post them.

Mike
No doubt, but that’s the cost of doing business with LCs isn’t it?

You have expensive taste, too, so there’s that! Believe me, none of us here are judging. I like your plans, and looking forward to the progress.

No doubt, but that’s the cost of doing business with LCs isn’t it?

You have expensive taste, too, so there’s that! Believe me, none of us here are judging. I like your plans, and looking forward to the progress.
You must be referencing Scheel-Mann and Falken.

It seems like I've been waiting forever for this thing to arrive. There were a couple of setbacks, but the 80 is finally home.

I had to switch to a different wheel due to an oversight from the original supplier. That oversight lead me to the Black Rhino Chamber wheels paired with the Falken Wildpeak R/T 315/70/17 tire, and I couldn't be happier with that combination. The new Scheel-Mann's are also in, and those were paired with some OEM seat warmer switches.

cdR2D0.jpg

2UDYsA.jpg

gIN5qR.jpg

rngaYT.jpg

QKB0gB.jpg

FYIOY9.jpg

XOq4Aa.jpg

vJh1Ym.jpg

Off to a good start the seats look good in the in it.

DOOOOOD. The seats look fantastic in it.

The seats are great!

Next up is removing the wood trim, and getting all the trim cleaned up. Just need to get some of the maintenance stuff done so I can start on the fun stuff.

Mike

I've made a little progress on the removal of the woodgrain trim, but it's been slow. I've also run into some issues along the way that needed to be addressed while I was working on the door trim. The rear driver side ashtray was busted up, and has now been replaced. I had to replace both front door handle trim bezels since they were cracked in half. Lastly was fixing the front driver side armrest bast, and master switch. The original armrest base was broken, and the master switch was epoxied to a broken trim bezel. All of which have now been replace.

Below are some pictures with woodgrain trim, and some without.

FYIOY9.jpg

XOq4Aa.jpg

eceljd.jpg

ww5yKg.jpg

W9tymm.jpg

rihEmS.jpg

PJ0No8.jpg

FdA28E.jpg

2cJOFU.jpg

The woodgrain delete is finally complete, and that took longer than I thought it would. I also tested a new prototype tailgate handle that I might put into production, and installed the center diff lock switch.

Gw61vF.jpg

kRAGrw.jpg

0tpaiG.jpg

UIdsir.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Nice Rig, and best year !!
The handles have been made before ;)

Last edited:
Nice Rig, and best year !!
The handles have been made be for ;)
Thanks

Correct, they were made before, and haven't been for a few years now. Either way, mine are in production and I'll have a regular and barndoor style available.

Mike

Last edited:
Not a lot going on with the Cruiser so far, but still making some progress on both old and new issues/repairs.

In early January I found out that both the windshield and rear hatch window were leaking. The rear hatch not so much, but the front was leaking pretty bad. The front windshield had been replaced by the previous owner(s), and there was zero sealant around the glass or body. Both windows have been fixed with new gaskets and sealant.

This past weekend I was able to replace both the gas struts on the rear hatch, and both weatherstrips for the rear. I also managed to get the new Sherpa rook rack mounted, new tailgate handle, and light housing for the license plate.

Part Numbers:
56121-60110 (Weatherstrip, Windshield)
68291-60050 (Weatherstrip , Back Door Glass)
81270-60110 (Lamp Assembly)
67881-60060 (Weatherstip, Back Door)
612987 (Lift Support, Rear)
613377 (Lift Support, Hood Left)
613381 (Lift Support, Hood Right)
OCD Tailgate Handle

20240217_095854.jpg

20240216_154542.jpg

20240216_154601.jpg

20240217_103621.jpg

Last edited:
The next issue to address is shiftlock related. While pulling dash panels for the oak removal I noticed the shifter would move freely. This was happening without the key in the ignition or without having my foot on the pedal. After a little research I decided to pull the cover off the shiftlock, and found a carpenters pencil in the opening. I was able to rule out fuses, and brake lights as the culprit. Then I crawled under the vehicle to inspect the trailer harness, and found this. Looks like I'll be diving into the rear wire harness this weekend.

Mike

20240220_173005.jpg

20240220_172832.jpg

20240220_172929.jpg

Welp, the harness is cleaned up, but the shift lock issue is still an issue. The harness is not in very good shape, and I'm on the hunt for a good replacement. Many of the wires that were exposed have a good amount of corrosion on them, and one wire is missing all together, That wire happens to be one that tie into the rear diff, and might the reason why the rear locker isn't engaging.

Mike

20240222_134145.jpg

20240222_172130.jpg

Good weather means time to work on the Cruiser. I've been designing some new items from my Cruiser for the rear cargo area. First of which is tailgate panel that I designed from 12mm Baltic Birch that I have for drawer units. The panel is mounted with to rivnuts that I set in the tailgate. I machined out a couple recesses for drinks, and all exposed wood is treated with Odie's Oil.

Mike

20240224_101117.jpg

20240224_101125(0).jpg

20240224_102605.jpg

20240224_124700.jpg

20240224_124653.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom