More questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Actually drove it this morning. Ran ok sorta. Doesn’t want to idle. Doors and windows rattle so much it was hard to hear it running. Needs all new weatherstrip and window channel. Clutch was ok, brakes need some tlc.
Anyway, carb is in the hot bath, rebuild tomorrow. Got a kit from mikes. Any pitfalls to be aware of? Rebuilt lots of carbs but not an aisan. Tips would be helpful. Old hot rodder pal will help me too. We are both more experienced with lots of hp and giant gas squirters.
Also, getting ready to order a lift. Have heard HFS shocks aren’t all that spiffy. Any experience? Still wiggling between emu, hfs and maybe skyjacker. Enlighten me.
One more question. Want to get 33x10.50-15 BFG at’s. How will they work on the skinny stock rims? Tire guy said he thought I’d be ok if I don’t do a lot really rough stuff. Which I don’t plan on.
Waiting with bait breath for reply’s.

Actually drove it this morning. Ran ok sorta. Doesn’t want to idle. Doors and windows rattle so much it was hard to hear it running. Needs all new weatherstrip and window channel. Clutch was ok, brakes need some tlc.
Anyway, carb is in the hot bath, rebuild tomorrow. Got a kit from mikes. Any pitfalls to be aware of? Rebuilt lots of carbs but not an aisan. Tips would be helpful. Old hot rodder pal will help me too. We are both more experienced with lots of hp and giant gas squirters.
Also, getting ready to order a lift. Have heard HFS shocks aren’t all that spiffy. Any experience? Still wiggling between emu, hfs and maybe skyjacker. Enlighten me.
One more question. Want to get 33x10.50-15 BFG at’s. How will they work on the skinny stock rims? Tire guy said he thought I’d be ok if I don’t do a lot really rough stuff. Which I don’t plan on.
Yes they will work

Thanks pv. I’m going to try the stock rims.
Another carb question. This carb has 2 wires running to what I guess are sensors. The wire is broke on the one on the front lower part of the carb. What are these for/called? So I can new ones.

I have the 4” HFS kit. Everything is good quality but the shocks. They were completely shot after 2000 miles of mainly city street driving. I replaced them with bilsteins and am happy with the set up.

One more question. Want to get 33x10.50-15 BFG at’s. How will they work on the skinny stock rims?

Tons of people here running those tires on stock steel rims; they work fine, on or off road. I'm running the MT version:

small SB photo.jpg

Also doing my research, I have concluded the best lift from my research is OME for 2.5 inch lift, and Skyjacker with bilstein in shocks for 4 inch, although HFS isn’t too bad either. You want shims and extended shackles for the lift.

I heard 2.5 inches is good if you do some light off roading and mostly road use, 4 inch is good if you are doing stuff that requires big flex or bigger tires. Both fit 33s nicely, but with 4 inch lift you could go up to 35s, although 35s rub sometimes

Another carb question. This carb has 2 wires running to what I guess are sensors. The wire is broke on the one on the front lower part of the carb. What are these for/called? So I can new ones.
I'm a visual kinda guy. Post a couple pics of your carb and those wires and I can probably help.

You need to look at Pinhead's 7 series video on rebuilding an Aisan carb---

Watch the entire series at least ten times-take notes-when you start taking the carb apart, you wlll know exactly what to expect, and exactly how to proceed--I cannot recommend this series enough---the best 'kit' is from SMP

Last edited:

the two wires is unique to the 1978 CA carb... one (upper) is the fuel cut solenoid (like all have) but the lower is a sensor for smog system

look up 9/77-1/79 CA unit on the SOR carb identifier page at Land Cruiser Carburetor Identifier - https://www.sor.com/cat042d.sor

Mine has been desmogged. Can I just not hook up the wire?
I’ll watch the video on the carb rebuild. Any experience with higher altitude? Live at 6400’. Lots of country around here in the 9-10000’ range. Thanks.
I think I’ll stick with the 33” Bfg’s. Is there a good suspension vendor a guy can call? I’d like to get everything I need at one time. Shims, correct shackles, shocks, etc.. install it without having to worry about handling or u joint problems.
took the old ac out today. Found another giant rat nest on top of the heater. Looked like I hit the jackpot on a slot machine only it was mesquite beans. Filled the shop vac. Thanks for the comments.

For reference here’s a look at my rig with 33x10.5 BFG ATs on stock steel rims. I’m on an old lift that’s too high in the front and sagging in the rear. My guess is it used to be about 4” total. Lots of people run a 2.5” lift with 33s. I plan to talk to Curt at Cruiser outfitters about my suspension needs. He’s a member here and is very helpful.

BBA6B3E1-375B-4D65-BF35-332A90995522.jpeg

9404F7EE-A25C-4620-A983-9542541FA486.jpeg

A stance like that is what I’d like. I’ll have to contact curt as well. Is there a number for the guy?

Thanks for the info. I’ll call him tomorrow.
Installed the rebuilt carb today. Fired up and runs smooth but doesn’t want to idle without about half choke. Adjusted idle needles, didn’t seem to matter. Watched several videos but never figured it out. Having to choke it tells me it’s idling too lean. There are 2 electric whatchamacallits on the carb. One low on the front. One high on the back. From what I can figure out, the low front one says some kind of heater. Wire to it is broken. One on the back top they say an idle mixture valve of some kind. Anyone have a definitive answer on the names of these things so I can get new ones? Ciuld the idle mixture one be the cause of not wanting to idle? Purrs other than at idle. Screwdriver is pointing at the parts in question. Thanks.

0E67CD7E-0D19-4C0B-9661-B665660F6948.jpeg

FD75E104-963C-4C03-9BF1-491E9A58CB60.jpeg

upper electronic thing is the fuel cut solenoid - unless it has 12v it won't idle... you shoud be able to hear it click when 12v is applied

the lower thing is a sensor for the smog system - since you're desmogged just ignore it, won't have any impact

Groovy, thanks. Looked hi and low for one on the net. Can’t seem to find the right one. Will call mikes in the morning.

Cruiser outfitters is great.

Also Georg @orangefj45 is a mud vendor and owns Valley Hybrids in Stockton. He sells and installs tons of suspension stuff. Busy guy but very helpful over the phone. He sells Bilstein shocks, steel shims, ect. Pretty sure you could get a full suspension package from Georg.

The best accelerator pump plunger is the leather one (the type Toyota used), most rebuild kits come with a rubber one. A used leather one can be used after soaking it in oil to soften it up. I forget which kits come with the leather plunger.

I live at 7,240 feet, so I re-jetted my carburetor. You can get a variety of sizes from Mikuni - for motorcycles, but they work great in Land Cruisers. Check this out:

For idle I would also check for vacuum leaks just to check that off the list. If you have a vacuum leak no adjust to carburetor is going to fit the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom