More evidence why the LX is quieter than the Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you get a chance, do you mind posting part #s and $ for each piece? Thanks.

FRONT DOORS:
Part No.: 67863-60020
WEATHERSTRIP, FR DOOR - $23.27

Part No.: 67864-60020
WEATHERSTRIP, FR DOOR - $23.27

REAR DOORS:
Part No.: 67888-60010
WEATHERSTRIP, RR DOOR - $23.27

Part No.: 67887-60010
WEATHERSTRIP, RR DOOR - $23.27

*All prices are according to www.lexuspartsnow.com, prices may vary depending on the supplier and the fact that data was recorded on 2/17/17

Last edited:
Well after about 300miles with these new weatherstrips I have finally gotten some final results. The decibel meter I was using had constant, maximum, and minimum readout functions. I used the maximum function for this test and all of the data points were measured 3 times for each trial. The radio was off as well as the A/C & fan, and I kept the decibel reader in the exact same location for each. The "Door Shut" and "Engine Start-Up" trials were just a couple random tests I came up with to see if there would be any change. The "Air @ Door Pocket" was measured just by me reaching my hand down and judging the best I could on a scale of 1-10.

My thoughts on the additional weatherstripping: Does it reduce in-cabin noise while driving? Yes. Does it significantly reduce in-cabin noise? No. According to the results I recorded, the additional weatherstripping reduced the noise that made its way into the cabin by an average of 5.6dBA for the driving portions of the test. To put that into perspective, that is less than the sound emitted by a ticking watch...Surprisingly enough I don't even think I got a placebo effect of less sound, which is rare considering every time I add a mod to my truck it usually gives me an over-exaggerated feeling of improvement. These didn't even do that for me. I'm not saying that these weatherstrips are worthless because they definitely reduce the amount of air that makes its way inside between the door and drivers seat that I've mentioned before, but if your sole purpose it to limit road, engine, and air noise that comes into the cabin, do not look at these as a definitive answer. IMHO, I believe that the quieter nature of the LX is caused by a combination of all of the extra door seals, different windshields, sound deadening material beneath the carpet, etc. and cannot be achieved by just adding one of those. I'm sure that if you were to install all of these additions in your LC you would be able to notice a significant improvement of in-cabin noise maybe even similar to an LX, but I did not get that feeling with just these door seals. Honestly, I noticed a bigger change when I applied sound deadening material in the rear cargo area and on the wheel wells. These seals are very nice and do in fact reduce air that makes its way past the OEM LC seals, however, they do not significantly reduce in-cabin noise enough for me to say they are a go-to mod that everyone must have. The data table I made is below so you can see for yourself and judge whether you would like to give them a shot as well. Now if only we could find the pn's for the other seals then I would be really interested!

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 12.16.29 AM.png

For some perspective, if you can reduce road noise by 3dB you've effectively doubled the power of your amplifier. A roughly 6dB decrease in noise is actually pretty impressive, far more than I would have expected, as noise reduction is achieved via multiple treatments. Definitely enough of a difference that I'll likely add them. Thanks.

Well after about 300miles with these new weatherstrips I have finally gotten some final results. The decibel meter I was using had constant, maximum, and minimum readout functions. I used the maximum function for this test and all of the data points were measured 3 times for each trial. The radio was off as well as the A/C & fan, and I kept the decibel reader in the exact same location for each. The "Door Shut" and "Engine Start-Up" trials were just a couple random tests I came up with to see if there would be any change. The "Air @ Door Pocket" was measured just by me reaching my hand down and judging the best I could on a scale of 1-10.

My thoughts on the additional weatherstripping: Does it reduce in-cabin noise while driving? Yes. Does it significantly reduce in-cabin noise? No. According to the results I recorded, the additional weatherstripping reduced the noise that made its way into the cabin by an average of 5.6dBA for the driving portions of the test. To put that into perspective, that is less than the sound emitted by a ticking watch...Surprisingly enough I don't even think I got a placebo effect of less sound, which is rare considering every time I add a mod to my truck it usually gives me an over-exaggerated feeling of improvement. These didn't even do that for me. I'm not saying that these weatherstrips are worthless because they definitely reduce the amount of air that makes its way inside between the door and drivers seat that I've mentioned before, but if your sole purpose it to limit road, engine, and air noise that comes into the cabin, do not look at these as a definitive answer. IMHO, I believe that the quieter nature of the LX is caused by a combination of all of the extra door seals, different windshields, sound deadening material beneath the carpet, etc. and cannot be achieved by just adding one of those. I'm sure that if you were to install all of these additions in your LC you would be able to notice a significant improvement of in-cabin noise maybe even similar to an LX, but I did not get that feeling with just these door seals. Honestly, I noticed a bigger change when I applied sound deadening material in the rear cargo area and on the wheel wells. These seals are very nice and do in fact reduce air that makes its way past the OEM LC seals, however, they do not significantly reduce in-cabin noise enough for me to say they are a go-to mod that everyone must have. The data table I made is below so you can see for yourself and judge whether you would like to give them a shot as well. Now if only we could find the pn's for the other seals then I would be really interested!

View attachment 1438620

Cool data:clap:

Dont overlook what started this thread with the additional insulation for the LX in the ceiling and sides. Something that would be difficult to upgrade on the LC.

For some perspective, if you can reduce road noise by 3dB you've effectively doubled the power of your amplifier. A roughly 6dB decrease in noise is actually pretty impressive, far more than I would have expected, as noise reduction is achieved via multiple treatments. Definitely enough of a difference that I'll likely add them. Thanks.
Hmm I guess I didn't really think about it like that. To be fair I didn't expect it to reduce the noise as much as it did either, and maybe I'm just being too critical in my review, but the highway test was probably where I could notice the change the best. The reduced air making it into the cabin is very nice and has definitely improved the cold feet issue. Like I said these weatherstrips aren't worthless by any means and do in fact reduce sound that makes its way inside the cabin, I guess I was just anticipating some drastic change and that was my fault for doing so. Definitely worth a shot to try them yourself though!

Cool data:clap:

Dont overlook what started this thread with the additional insulation for the LX in the ceiling and sides. Something that would be difficult to upgrade on the LC.
Thanks! I'm glad people think it's interesting. And don't worry I have not overlooked those! There are just so many differences from what I have researched between the LX and LC when it comes to sound deadening it's hard to list them all. And like you said some of those differences would be easier to upgrade in the LC than others. I did however manage to find a few more pieces that are called "silencers". I have not confirmed whether they are in the LC as well, or if they are made of different/more material than that in the LC, but I would go ahead and add them to the list of possibilities.

Pad, Center Floor Silencer, Rear - 58627-60030 ($112.78)

Silencer, Center Console, NO.1 - 58621-60110 ($6.34)

Thanks for the test and write-up!

I concur and will likely be adding them in the near future. I soundproofed the majority of my LC a number of years ago and this will be a nice addition. While the LC is no audiophile studio, soundproofing does in fact help. Maybe I'll do the headliner this summer.

Thanks for the test and write-up!

I concur and will likely be adding them in the near future. I soundproofed the majority of my LC a number of years ago and this will be a nice addition. While the LC is no audiophile studio, soundproofing does in fact help. Maybe I'll do the headliner this summer.
Great! Keep us updated if you decide to go that route I think that would provide a very significant improvement. Maybe this will help with that:) Keep in mind the part numbers below differ depending on your year model (11/98-06/99 vs. 06/99-08/00) and that a specific quantity of each is needed depending on which model and whether you have the sunroof or not. When I searched for these parts I searched my year model which is a 2000 and that is why the year models I gave stick around that year. Check these links out:

Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.1 - 63342-60060 ($13.02)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.2 - 63342-60061 ($13.02)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.3 - 63343-60040 ($20.78)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.6 - 63346-60010 ($10.10)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.7 - 63347-60010 ($12.13)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.8 - 63348-60010 ($4.56)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.9 - 63349-60020 ($3.21)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.13 - 63353-60030 ($8.24)
And here is the link I followed to find all of these: 2000 Lexus LX470 > Body > Roof Headlining & Silencer Pad

Last edited:
Thank you for doing all the legwork and testing. I would consider the 8 dB reduction in noise at 75 mph to be significant. I'll look at adding these additional weatherstrips to my LC.

Exactly this ^^^^

Hmm I guess I didn't really think about it like that. To be fair I didn't expect it to reduce the noise as much as it did either, and maybe I'm just being too critical in my review, but the highway test was probably where I could notice the change the best. The reduced air making it into the cabin is very nice and has definitely improved the cold feet issue. Like I said these weatherstrips aren't worthless by any means and do in fact reduce sound that makes its way inside the cabin, I guess I was just anticipating some drastic change and that was my fault for doing so. Definitely worth a shot to try them yourself though!

Thanks! I'm glad people think it's interesting. And don't worry I have not overlooked those! There are just so many differences from what I have researched between the LX and LC when it comes to sound deadening it's hard to list them all. And like you said some of those differences would be easier to upgrade in the LC than others. I did however manage to find a few more pieces that are called "silencers". I have not confirmed whether they are in the LC as well, or if they are made of different/more material than that in the LC, but I would go ahead and add them to the list of possibilities.

Pad, Center Floor Silencer, Rear - 58627-60030 ($112.78)

Silencer, Center Console, NO.1 - 58621-60110 ($6.34)

When I soundproofed my LC a few years ago I did the front floors and the center console area (removed the seats and console), so I don't think these would provide any additional benefit, but thanks for posting the p/ns and pricing. May be useful for others who go this route.

dynamat-land-cruiser-jpg.718809

Great! Keep us updated if you decide to go that route I think that would provide a very significant improvement. Maybe this will help with that:) Keep in mind the part numbers below differ depending on your year model (11/98-06/99 vs. 06/99-08/00) and that a specific quantity of each is needed depending on which model and whether you have the sunroof or not. When I searched for these parts I searched my year model which is a 2000 and that is why the year models I gave stick around that year. Check these links out:

Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.1 - 63342-60060 ($13.02)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.2 - 63342-60061 ($13.02)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.3 - 63343-60040 ($20.78)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.6 - 63346-60010 ($10.10)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.7 - 63347-60010 ($12.13)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.8 - 63348-60010 ($4.56)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.9 - 63349-60020 ($3.21)
Pad, Roof Silencer, NO.13 - 63353-60030 ($8.24)
And here is the link I followed to find all of these: 2000 Lexus LX470 > Body > Roof Headlining & Silencer Pad

I just looked at these over on LexusPartsNow.com. It appears they are the standard pads but applied to the roof. I will probably just remove the headliner and soundproof the roof as well. At the same time I will likely add the wires for a mobile Ham.

Thanks for all your research and work @TheForger. Very useful information.

The plastic piece in the rear of the front fender is near impossible to get a picture of, I get a glimpse of it with the door just right, and I can stick my hand in and feel it, but the leading edge of the door obscures it with the door open, and there is nothing to see with the door closed. Let me see if I can figure a way out to get some kind of picture.

Showing the leading edge of the driver's rear door:
View attachment 1429453
View attachment 1429454
View attachment 1429455

What year is your LX @jLB? That might help us figure out which p/n's these are on the front edge of the rear doors.

Finally some actual data performed in a nearly scientific manner. Thank you.

Breaks up the monotony of the typical "these lights are definitely brighter" or "these tires a for sure quieter" or "my airlocker most definitely added about 15 hp" posts we see on car forums.

This is pretty interesting. Decibels are a logarithmic scale. 80dBA is perceived by your ear/brain as twice as loud as 70bBA. This should be a very noticeable improvement. Just found my next $100 project...

Think I may have found the p/n's for the strips on the front edge of the rear doors - 67896-60020 (LH) and 67895-600200 (RH), both at $10.17 at LexusPartsNow.com. I found it for a 2005 MY LX.

Lexus-Part-Number-67896-60020.png

I did a search for that part number on Google Image Search and found a number of photos similar to the ones @jLB posted previously. Most images appear to be non-NA spec LXs.

Think I may have found the p/n's for the strips on the front edge of the rear doors - 67896-60020 (LH) and 67895-600200 (RH), both at $10.17 at LexusPartsNow.com. I found it for a 2005 MY LX.

View attachment 1442268

I did a search for that part number on Google Image Search and found a number of photos similar to the ones @jLB posted previously. Most images appear to be non-NA spec LXs.
I think you nailed it! I filtered the results by every year model LX and that part number only comes up for year models 02-07. They are not listed for year models 98-01 which I thought was odd. Can anyone with an early model LX confirm whether they have the weatherstrips between the front & rear doors or not?

I have a 1998 LX and do NOT have the vertical strips on the leading edge of the rear door. I see no residue to indicate that they were ever present. I have thought about getting some rubber gasket tubing and making my own if no factory option exists.

There's not even a hole for the top clip on mine. Does it connect with another clip at the bottom as well?

IMG_2851.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom