Monstaliner Bedliner (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had most of a pickup (bumpers, grille, hood bra, topper/canopy, rockers, flares) covered with Herculiner before. We loved the durability, but it would rip your skin off. It also required a stiff bristled brush to wash. I'm thinking the MonstaLiner would be ideal for our new rig.

Used a shutz gun on my interior, color matched to Toyota 532 yellow with PPG toner. Definitely took two coats for full coverage over gray epoxy. Lots of masking off, but seemed easier than rollering...and since I already had the gun...Pretty happy with it :clap:

footwell.JPG

overall.JPG

bed.JPG

@1Fine40 That looks awesome!

What did you put in the bolt holes to keep them clean?

@1Fine40 That looks awesome!

What did you put in the bolt holes to keep them clean?
I rolled up some tin foil into a small bullet and pushed it in there, cheap and simple!

Good Job!
Thanks! Am pretty happy with how it has turned out. I ended up with one or two thin spots where I didn't get good
coverage, but that is on me, the painter, not the product. Bought an additional quart to go back and fix those minor
misses. I could have left them as is, but since I'm this far into it figured to just make it 100% now.:meh:

Yes I sprayed it with the Walcom Adjustable Tip Shutz Gun at 70-75psi.

Hi do you have any more pictures of your monstaliner up close. The texture you achieved is very intriguing. You mentioned that you sprayed with the nicer gun at 70-75psi. Did you also reduce it with MEK or anything. I am hoping to gain some clarity on how you were able to achieve the texture you wanted.

Thanks!

I'm scrolling this thread for the first time in a long time and I have to give Kudos to all our customers, you do some very fine work!

In other news: We have a good match and a working formula (I believe) for Cygnus White.
If anyone has an upcoming job and want's to be a guinea pig, the cost of the tint is on me.
I do have some chips I can send out beforehand for anyone to see.

Any chance of seeing Toyota 6V7 Army Green any time soon? That is a killer color for Cruisers!

Any chance of seeing Toyota 6V7 Army Green any time soon? That is a killer color for Cruisers!

Do you know if this matches any Federal Standard colors and what might be the FS595 code if it does?
We made a very dark green a little bit ago for someone on this forum that will be included in the upcoming release of new colors.
Not sure if this may be the same color you mention.

I think it is the same color, the mix you made that was on here was a dark olive green, like the Toyota Army Green the new FJ's come in. That is the factory 2KD paint option, the color is 6V7. If you are going to be making that color I'll be in for 3 gallons!

EDIT- near as I can tell on this computer monitor, the FED-STD-595 code nearest to the Toyota 6V7 looks to be FS 34077. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
I think it is the same color, the mix you made that was on here was a dark olive green, like the Toyota Army Green the new FJ's come in. That is the factory 2KD paint option, the color is 6V7. If you are going to be making that color I'll be in for 3 gallons!

We'll have pics of what it looks like and some chips to mail out hopefully in 2 - 3 weeks

I know it was on the 2010-2014 FJ Cruiser, not sure about later years. I just Googled 'Totota Dark Green 6V7' and came up with a bunch of FJ pics. Paintref.com lists the Ditzler-PPG paint code for that color as 925452 if that helps any.

Toyota Color Codes - 6V7 model/year code 6V7 Cross-Reference
FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color Palette -

And by the look of things, again uncertain due to computer graphics, the mix you previously made looks to be closer to FED-STD-595 color 34066, which is much darker than the WW2 OD you currently make, 34088. That dark green is awesome too!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm pretty pleased with the Sans Panties I painted on my 40. I painted the hood separate and one day a 2x4 fell on the edge of the hood and left a mark. I was initially upset at the durability of the paint until closer inspection. The mark wasn't the paint scraped, it was wood fibers the paint abraded off the 2x4.:clap:

the trend seems to be getting the smoother texture like a soft orange peel. Has anyone achieved a smoother texture with a spray application. There has been talk on this in the past.

the trend seems to be getting the smoother texture like a soft orange peel. Has anyone achieved a smoother texture with a spray application. There has been talk on this in the past.

Allow me to clarify spraying texture vs rolling texture: You have more control of texture when rolling.
And If you want a smoother surface, rolling will do this vs spraying.
With that said, I do realize that people choose to spray because they can and are comfortable doing so and the process is a heck of a lot faster than rolling.
Look at the pics in this PDF link. It explains the smoother texture achieved by rolling.
An option we are getting ready to document is spraying to distribute the liner fast followed by back-rolling with a wet roller which will do what you see in these pics.
http://www.monstaliner.com/documents/Smoother-ML-With-Less-Texture.pdf

@magnetman : The three images I'm aware of - of the Monstaliner coating you had mixed in-house for this person, called "Toyota Army Green" :

urb.JPG

qdf.JPG

txc.JPG

@magnetman
: a person on this forum had very recently made the comment below within a post upon a different, current thread :

"The outside of my expo tundra was sprayed in 2010, if I am remembering correctly, with tintable raptor liner. It has held up well and looks good still so far. My only concern is if you rub your hand over the finish now a small amount of color residue comes off on your hand. It would seem that the raptor liner is degrading some over time. I am not surprised at this after 7 years, just wanted to share my experience. The bond to the body is still great no peeling or separation that I have seen."

**QUESTION** : I had not previously heard / read of such tint coming off the painted vehicle and onto one's body or clothes. I suppose much like that of a chocolate candy bar slightly melting after a little while, and getting chocolate onto one's hand or clothes (well, you know what I mean :) ). Are you experiencing this situation (chalking ??) with any other, early-on Monstaliner users, via your tinted Monstaliner product ? ... And if the chemistry of Monstaliner and Raptor might be somewhat similar, would you anticipate the degradation the Monstaliner tint to be much different than that of the Raptor tint (along the lines of this person's current experience) ?

Thanks for your words & ongoing help !!
~Marc

Last edited:
Yep, that's the one! That looks to be darker than the FJ color while still giving off a military flavor. Love that color!

And it looks to be pretty close to the FS595 34066 color, at least on my monitor. REALLY looking forward to seeing the new colors, I've been waiting to pull the trigger on monstalining my rig for a while now because I wanted a darker green, and now hopefully we'll be seeing it soon!

Happy dance!:bounce::bounce:

@magnetman Is it possible to add metal flake or pearl to the tintable Monstaliner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom