Monstaliner Bedliner (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FYI, I have been doing a two tone complete car and I ran into an issue where I was short on part B. We have been using painters mixer cups to get to a very accurate ratio, but running short.

Strange, but our second can of part B was imploded slightly. We have had paint for about 6 months, but they say use within a year.

Given our issues, I put a call into tech support to try and get a weight (grams) ratio of part A to B. Will update when I hear back.

My ML products just arrived. Should have this applied in the next 2 weeks.

J

P1050234.JPG
P1050235.JPG
P1050236.JPG

If you are shooting it, I recommend that you get more clean spray bottles for mixed material. Mine was setting up in the bottle on the sides, and pulling chunks onto the panels.

Also, make sure to have someone else mixing as you use the material and swap to the new containers.

If you are shooting it, I recommend that you get more clean spray bottles for mixed material. Mine was setting up in the bottle on the sides, and pulling chunks onto the panels.

Also, make sure to have someone else mixing as you use the material and swap to the new containers.

Good to know on mixing help, I have two more guns and 4 spare bottles..

J

IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG
I just reassembled the rig last night. I am not happy with the sprayed panels. I sprayed three different directions n-s, e-w, then diagonal and you can see the last coat stripes.

I followed the directions to the "T" , so I don't know what went wrong. I have sprayed Raptor half dozen times and never had any issues. I will say that I am very impressed with the qualities of Monstaliner over Raptor.... here is why

I reuse my disposable nitrile gloves. So, I let the gloves dry balled up on the floor, and next time I am working on a dirty project, I grab a pair. Well, after working with gloves that have 25% of the surface covered with Monstaliner, they kept 90% of the paint on the nitrile surface. I expected it to just flake off. This is some pretty good stuff.

I really don't care too much, because after it goes on trails and gets dirty, you will not notice as much.

Oh, I should say, the rolled sections look much better to me.

Hope you have better luck than me on spraying.

Last edited:
Mines still rockin, Black has not faded a bit in the Desert sun (garages are for tools).

Sorry you are having trouble with the spray!!!

X2 ^, Mine never faded on my old rig.

2fpower, I read on one of the Heep forums that if you use too much air pressure you get a striping effect. He turned the pressure down and it blended nicely. If I don't like the spray texture I will have the rollers at the ready to blend and create a new texture.

J

My Monstaliner project(s):

20140913_102439_Android.jpg

20140913_102458_Android.jpg

2 coats of Chassis Saver on them now, just finished final scuff and solvent wipe, mixing up Monstaliner now, here I go...

X2 ^, Mine never faded on my old rig.

2fpower, I read on one of the Heep forums that if you use too much air pressure you get a striping effect. He turned the pressure down and it blended nicely. If I don't like the spray texture I will have the rollers at the ready to blend and create a new texture.

J

Yes, I read that too. I played with pressure, and no real change. Two things I did not do, that may have had an effect. 1. cut the tip shorter on my gun. Takes too much time to do when spraying; however I recall doing this years ago with a shorter tip. Mine is maybe 1.75" long now. 2. add more naptha to the material to get it thinned down.

Oh, and good call on having the roller ready. That is a great idea.... Actually, I would heavily think about having someone roll right behind you on the first coat to get to 100% coverage of color. Then all you need to do is add material for thickness and for texture.

I finished rolling out almost 3 gallons. Here's some pics.

1410909640036.jpg

1410909666759.jpg

1410909685223.jpg

@warpdriv would you call that close to the standard 40 Mustard yellow? Looks real good and can't wait to see it put together. Still keep coming back to this and debating color (not to ML or paint anymore).... Still love the medium quartz, that mustard yellow and the midnight special blue. Wondering what the mustard would look like with they blue/grey interior?

here is a couple of pics of a sanded stock mustard yellow compared to a freshly painted mustard yellow

20140807_180135.jpg

20140807_180109.jpg

Looks great in the pics. So please share what you tried to get the texture you liked. Did you thin the material in the cup some more?

I really want to figure out the best practice here, as I have another 40 series I want to put liner on.

2f, I added nothing to the mixture to thin it.. I am at 6300' elevation so maybe that has something to do with it. I sprayed every coat at 70psi and then rolled each panel after I sprayed it. Once I finished a complete side/top, I re-rolled the entire side again before going to the other side/next panel.

I had the shop at 65F for the past two days.... It was cooler and raining the past two days as well... Let me know if you have a more specific question and I'll help you out all I can.

J

I recall that higher humidity makes monstaliner cure faster, so I don't know if that is an issue.

You mentioned that you don't like the texture, can you be more specific about what you don't like?

In looking at your picture, I like yours much more than I like the sections that I sprayed.

I recall that higher humidity makes monstaliner cure faster, so I don't know if that is an issue.

You mentioned that you don't like the texture, can you be more specific about what you don't like?

In looking at your picture, I like yours much more than I like the sections that I sprayed.

I'm in a really dry climate.. High desert as we call it... the rain was a bonus for us...

I didn't like the spray only texture... thats why I rolled every inch of it.... the spray texture is too lumpy/angular and sporadic, also felt it would be too hard to clean, seems it would "hold" too much dirt... I have used the ML on a few cruisers and trucks and I doubt I will ever use the shutz gun again. I like the control I get with the roller only method much better..

J

Unfortunatly, I agree with you. Rolling seems like the only way to go, but sucks when you are doing jams and areas with lots of depressions. I would think that a truck bed with lots of variations would suck.

The one variant that I want to know about is if you add some of the naptha or whatever thinner they recommended to thin down the mixture before spraying. I think the directions talked about adding some if you are spraying.... do you recall?

I will pull out my instructions tonight.. they were different than the version on the website, as they had a section for spraying monstaliner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom