MOBY DICK gets a turn ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you weld at the top of the bumper and where the spindle hits the lower part? I did add some additional bracing on the side wings, and then where I frenched in the lights, so we are not apples to apples in comparison. @milemarker60 do you have flex there?

Did you weld at the top of the bumper and where the spindle hits the lower part? I did add some additional bracing on the side wings, and then where I frenched in the lights, so we are not apples to apples in comparison. @milemarker60 do you have flex there?

Yes its welded in top and bottom. When I pull on the arm I can see the main body of the shell come up do to the leverage going down through the spindle. My guess is the bottom probably flexes also but can't quite be seen. I think a gusset running top to bottom and front to back inside the shell will take care of it. I will know better once I pull the bumper off and can get in there.

With the storm coming in ( supposedly ) I got motivated to finish up the labs bumper. I pulled the main shell and welded some reinforcements in to take out the excessive movement I was experiencing. I was also able to peel the Al's liner off of it with a scraper. I wouldn't recommend ever using it if you want a liner product. In fact I had several areas underneath that were gathering surface rust where moisture had gotten under the liner. Once I got everything buttoned up I sprayed it all in Rustoleum gloss black. I like using this stuff as it closely matches the powder coat on my Slee front and is super easy to touch up after you bang it off of rocks.
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2239.JPG
I am currently working on some accessories for the rear ladder. I have the base built out for a Jerry can holder. I am also building some interior baskets for the Puma and other accessories.

So I discovered a pleasant side affect to having all the additional weight out back. My OME heavies have been tamed down quite a bit. Springs have been on my short list for some time due to how awful the ride usually is. I may be able to hold off for another year.

However, the better road manners have allowed me to feel a new problem. There is some excessive play going on in the suspension somewhere. A little extra shaking after hitting potholes and what not. It feels and sounds like its coming from the PS front. A few weeks ago I had to redo the preload on that side. I'm thinking a couple of things could be the issue.

1) Bad preload in the wheel bearings allowing excessive play
2) One of the shocks is blown. They are less than six months old, but did take a beating up in CO last September.
3) The control arm bushings are shot. I know the front ones have some cracks in them, they are the original bushings. I'm not sure if this could cause the issue. @cjmoon I know you replaced yours. Would you mind sharing your impressions of before and after ?
4) Loose control arm bolt. Very unlikely but easy to check. This could also coincide with the random metallic ping I hear when the truck has sat overnight and I put it into drive and start forward. Only happens once, right as you start to take off.

Always open for suggestions if somebody has something they would like to share.

Last edited:
The can carrier is done and mounted. I still have a few things to do with the rear bumper but right now its off to more pressing projects. I figured out where my extra play was coming from in the front suspension and put an order in with Christo @sleeoffroad . I also need to visit @2fpower 's 80 series parts emporium and help further the UTE project. As well as lots of other projects that need to get done in the next few months....
IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG

hey half k i use to live right down the street from you, all those pictures look mighty familiar! i lived in westboro for 2 years. im over by the governors mansion now i just got my first land cruiser a few months ago. i need to stop by sometime and bend your ear

hey half k i use to live right down the street from you, all those pictures look mighty familiar! i lived in westboro for 2 years. im over by the governors mansion now i just got my first land cruiser a few months ago. i need to stop by sometime and bend your ear

Small world, hit me up sometime and we will meet up.

Pulled the charcoal canister and inspected the valve. Everything checks out so its back in with new soft lines....
IMG_2311.JPG

I also received a care package from @sleeoffroad . Here they are coupled up with some 555 tie rod ends from @cruiseroutfit ....
IMG_2317.JPG
Added a second latch for a little redundancy....
IMG_2318.JPG
And a poser shot of the complete bumper ....
IMG_2320.JPG

I thought toyota uses type 4? Or was the 80 series still type 3? Just curious as all the autos in our stable take type 4.

I was just curious. Matrix and highlander are type 4, excellent, carry on with the normally scheduled program

Since the warm spell and my 4 day are happening at the same time, I decided to get started on my knuckles. I got my kit from @cruiseroutfit along with a few extras that I needed....
IMG_2364.JPG
Since I don't plan on having this apart again anytime soon I also grabbed a couple of stud kits from @NLXTACY . A very comprehensive kit at a fair price. So I pulled the old knuckle studs and cleaned the holes up with a tap....
IMG_2365.JPG
New studs torqued to 30lb/ft and coated in red Loctite......
IMG_2366.JPG

The last time I did these birfields I didn't completely disassemble. This time I decided to break them all the way down....
IMG_2368.JPG
The inside lip of this bird cage is super sharp. I laid my thumb open right down to the meat and had to call a halt while the resident nurse cleaned and glued everything back together....
IMG_2367.JPG
Re-seating the axle shaft into the birfield is a two man job. Fortunately, as usual, it was just me. So, I was able to come up with a cool trick to get the clip seated....
IMG_2369.JPG
I got started fairly late on this project 1300hrs. I was able to finish up the DS by 1730hrs but I was running a pretty leisurly pace and making sure everything was extra clean. I'm hoping to get to the PS in the early morning tomorrow. I will get some carnage photos of that side...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom