MOBY DICK gets a turn ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last years focus was almost entirely on my wife's cruiser. If you haven't seen it you can check the link here the BIG RED Restoration ! . Well other then a little bodywork and some more comfortable seats, Big Red is about complete. So now its time to finally lavish a little attention on my 97.

The details:
97, 3x locked, OME 850J/863, MAF drop brackets ( this is how I received the truck ).

The plan: I want this truck setup for overland travel with my family (wife and four kids). It is my daily driver during the winter and anytime there is in-climate weather. The truck has some fairly decent oil leaks at the front of the motor, next oil change I am going to run a blackstone analysis on it and that will guide my decision making process. Either the motor is coming out for a full reseal (depending on the HG) or I will pull the rad and reseal the front.

So I can't find any of my stock photos except this one. The truck as delivered.
IMG_0352.jpg

Last edited:
I lucked out on craigslist and found another good 80 owner in Leavenworth. He sold me a set of front and middle husky liners for what I thought was a very reasonable price. Hopefully he will sign up for the forums.
IMG_1703.JPG
Then a CDL from a fellow mud members parts truck followed by an OEM hand throttle from @ranma21
IMG_1701.JPG

Looks like you are off to a good start. What size tires are you running? What V8 are you thinking about swapping in? I have started to look at a V8 swap as an option once I buy another vehicle for a daily driver.

I believe the ARB was originally wired into the circuit with the front park lights, FYI. Turns make more sense to me though.

Love locked white 80's. Nice!

Looks like you are off to a good start. What size tires are you running? What V8 are you thinking about swapping in? I have started to look at a V8 swap as an option once I buy another vehicle for a daily driver.

They are 315's, probably going to replace them with a set of Duratrac's later this year when they go on sale. As for v8's it going to get the 5.3 GM, it just makes the most sense to me. If parts availability weren't an issue I would just spend the extra $ for a Toyota Diesel. I have been back and forth a lot and I think the 5.3 makes the most sense out of all possible swaps.

On deck, a very well used set of Metaltech sliders. These things answer the question "where's the beef"?
IMG_1707.JPG
Also stopped by the local Roach hardware and found a can of the supposedly unobtanium brown paint that matches the oak interior. Going to use this on the WRX plastic to make things look a little better. Thank goodness it comes with a "comfort tip" big relief there.
IMG_1708.JPG

Last edited:
I am thinking the 5.3 also.

You figure out the wiring and then you can help me!

You said unobtanium on that rattle can. Did they stop making it?

You said unobtanium on that rattle can. Did they stop making it?

Supposedly you can't find it in any store and have to order it online. I did look at HD and Walmart and ACE. They ended up having it at the hardware store closest to my house.

My first big mod, special thanks to @Stylo07 for being a good dude and letting me have dibs on his old ARB. He had it line xed and it looks sweet, still need to figure out how to wire up those turn signal indicators.View attachment 1035733 View attachment 1035735
Looks great, Malcomb!

I forgot to mention I wired the marker lights into my turn signals so they pulled double duty as marker lights/signals. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

So, how did you do the seatbelt connection? I am thinking that is fixed on the actual seat on the original seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom