MOBY DICK gets a turn ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We bled all four corners and the LSPV, but the pedal still feels a little squishy to me. Is there another bleeder screw on the ABS module?
No bleeder on ABS side. I think there is something in FSM regarding a way to jumper ABS system.

I found that several hard braking runs on a low traffic gravel road helped flush old fluid into regular system and made my fresh fluid look like s#@!. Siphoned black fluid out of the master and repeated the process many times over a couple weeks. Seemed to improve pedal feel though.

Nothing on the ABS unit, however, i have heard many times to run your rig in mud or ice making the ABS work several times, then quickly go bleed all 4 corners, and it helps significantly.

Put someone on a creeper underneath and drive around the block. When you come to the first corner, brake hard and your helper can open the bleeder real quick. Then you could do it again on the other side before moving to the front. You would only have to go around the block once, and you'd be all done. If you were worried about running low on fluid, you could prop the hood and have a second helper sitting on the valve cover and topping it off between stops. Easy Peazy.

Put someone on a creeper underneath and drive around the block. When you come to the first corner, brake hard and your helper can open the bleeder real quick. Then you could do it again on the other side before moving to the front. You would only have to go around the block once, and you'd be all done. If you were worried about running low on fluid, you could prop the hood and have a second helper sitting on the valve cover and topping it off between stops. Easy Peazy.
are you volunteering?

Got my shipment in from Dobinson USA, a big thanks to @David Otero for his excellent customer service. I told him I needed these shipped as soon as possible do to an upcoming trip. He must have dropped them in the box right after I sent the Paypal. They left Florida Monday and got here just a few hours ago. I'm not sure when these will get installed as the weather is supposed to turn foul this evening.
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2493.JPG
IMG_2495.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG

All four springs are in. Rears were quite easy after I dropped the sway bar. Fronts required a trip back to town for a strut type spring compressor. It looks like the truck has come up a bit, I did not get very good measurements before and after. Once I get the spare tire back on the rear I should have a better idea of how it handles. The fronts look to come out perfect at normal load. You can see in the pic below that there is just enough room to slide a couple playing cards in between the ride coils. The rears are not down yet but i'm not at full load back there with the spare tire off.
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic lately. When my 80 came over from Japan it was wearing these...
IMG_2486.JPG
I painted them with Duplicolor graphite years ago when they were still on the rig, before I switched to the LX450 rims. Decided to drag these out of storage and refurbish them. Whats old is new again.....
IMG_2517.JPG
IMG_2529.JPG
A big thanks to @FZJ80 in KC for the vinyls and the idea...

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic lately. When my 80 came over from Japan it was wearing these...View attachment 1423214 I painted them with Duplicolor graphite years ago when they were still on the rig, before I switched to the LX450 rims. Decided to drag these out of storage and refurbish them. Whats old is new again.....View attachment 1423215 View attachment 1423216 A big thanks to @FZJ80 in KC for the vinyls and the idea...
That looks awesome on a white rig. Nicely done!

Thank you. I was surprised how much of a difference the vinyl makes. A little splash of red really sets them off.
Yep, and the vinyl has held up really well after a couple of wheeling trips.

211,184 miles. Winch spooled with 100' of steel cable...
IMG_2553.JPG
Had to draft a few helpers to run the controls while I held tension on the line. Pictured from left to right (lead supervisor, lead winch technician)
IMG_2551.JPG
Battery's cleaned, topped with distilled water, then hit with CRC red protectant.
IMG_2552.JPG
New drop link from @sleeoffroad , coupled to a Dobinsons stabilizer...
IMG_2555.JPG

211,184 miles. Winch spooled with 100' of steel cable...View attachment 1424755 Had to draft a few helpers to run the controls while I held tension on the line. Pictured from left to right (lead supervisor, lead winch technician) View attachment 1424748 Battery's cleaned, topped with distilled water, then hit with CRC red protectant. View attachment 1424749 New drop link from @sleeoffroad , coupled to a Dobinsons stabilizer...View attachment 1424756

May be a little too early to tell, but what are your thoughts on the new Dobinson steering stabilizer? How does this different from previous? (Was the previous OME?)

Eager to hear your thoughts on that. Also, why the upgrade in steering stabilizer?

May be a little too early to tell, but what are your thoughts on the new Dobinson steering stabilizer? How does this different from previous? (Was the previous OME?)

Eager to hear your thoughts on that. Also, why the upgrade in steering stabilizer?

Jack, I decided to upgrade the stabilizer for two reasons 1) I was replacing the drag link anyway 2) The OME unit was over five years old. I've only got one drive on it and that was to work this morning. I didn't have time yesterday to adjust the link properly so the steering wheel is off center. That kind of throws me off because you feel like your constantly pulling on the wheel to keep the truck going straight down the road.

Had a buddy from work burn out some bottom plates and gussests with his CNC table. With those I was able to knock together version 1.0 of the cargo baskets. I just made one for now. When I have more time I'm going to redo the design to better fit my needs.
IMG_2560.JPG
IMG_2561.JPG
IMG_2558.JPG
IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG

Here's a shot with the back end loaded. Maybe an additional 300lb on the springs. Sits with a very minor rake to rear, barely perceptible.
IMG_2566.JPG
Test fitting some of my storage options. I could easily build a cage that would bolt to the factory tie down locations and sit just higher than the green Plano boxes. It would essentially secure them and give me storage over the top. I may pursue this later...
IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

One of my main goals this year is getting the suspension dialed in to where I can finally be happy with it and leave it alone. Part of that was re-installing the front sway bar. If you remember this self ejected on my last trip out to CO. I was able to grind out what was left of the old mount and fabbed a new one from 1/4'' bar stock. The difference is very noticeable, especially out on the highway in the wind.
IMG_2581.JPG

What are the diminsions of your basket for the pump and tube size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom