Mishimoto aluminum radiator....who runs one? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Amazon has an all aluminum, lifetime warranty 3 row Mishimoto radiator. The kicker is it says it fits 1981-1990 FJ60's, but it also says it has a trans cooler for auto trans, which leads me to believe it will work for my 62. Somebody had previously asked a question if it would fit a 62 and the seller responded that it would not. Amazon says it will fit my 89 62. My turd needs a new radiator and I want all the cooling I can get. Mishimoto also has a lifetime accident warranty, meaning if I jam a tree branch through it off roading they'll replace it for free. Anybody use one, and if so how does it fit!?

I cannot attest to a Mishimoto in an FJ but I did have one in a BMW, I had 3 in about 5 years. The first one has to be replaced when an auxiliary fan broke and punctured it, Mishimoto replaced it no questions asked. That one eventually developed a leak by the end tank and again, Mishimoto sent me a replacement, no questions asked. That one lasted until the car met its demise from an old lady running a red light.

Great customer service and a decent product, I would imagine their quality has gotten better as they've grown.

As for your 62, you can always run a standalone cooler in front of the radiator if it is not equipped with a built in section for the trans.

I cannot attest to a Mishimoto in an FJ but I did have one in a BMW, I had 3 in about 5 years. The first one has to be replaced when an auxiliary fan broke and punctured it, Mishimoto replaced it no questions asked. That one eventually developed a leak by the end tank and again, Mishimoto sent me a replacement, no questions asked. That one lasted until the car met its demise from an old lady running a red light.

Great customer service and a decent product, I would imagine their quality has gotten better as they've grown.

As for your 62, you can always run a standalone cooler in front of the radiator if it is not equipped with a built in section for the trans.
Thanks! I already have a large auxiliary trans cooler, but the truck needs all the trans cooling ability it can get. I do a lot of wheeling, and I'm in AZ. I'm not opposed to getting an FJ60 one without a cooler if for some reason the one I previously mentioned won't fit.
Being in AZ, I want the cooling system totally overkill. With that being said, I want to make sure it'll fit before I shell out $400 for it.

I cannot attest for Mishi as I have never owned, but Spectra has OE style radiator on RockAuto for $348.

Griffin is another option, they are pretty popular in motorsport and also can be found a bit cheaper on Amazon, here.

Wow it's expensive....... $397.50.

The CSF 2708 that is often favored for replacement is $350. It's all metal but not aluminum. There's an old school rad shop in town that I talked to about rebuilding mine but I'm guessing I'll have $2-$250 into it. So I might just spring for the Mishi. Moral of the story is that nothing is cheap for these things.

@Rockymtnreaper is this the brand that's been giving you issues?

Sorry, I didn't see this till now.. hope it's not too late. So tomorrow I will be replacing mine with another one they have sent me for the THIRD time. They keep failing in the SAME spot. They work awesome when they work until they start to leak.

OEM one lasted 29 years.

First replacement one lasted 14 months.

The second warranty replacement one lasted 4.5 months

Let's hope this next one can hold out until I find an OEM one...

Awesome customer service, no questions asked, they send me a replacement one and I send my used one back for testing. I could be the only one who has this problem, but after replacing it for the third time, I just want people to know.

Sorry, I didn't see this till now.. hope it's not too late. So tomorrow I will be replacing mine with another one they have sent me for the THIRD time. They keep failing in the SAME spot. They work awesome when they work until they start to leak.

OEM one lasted 29 years.

First replacement one lasted 14 months.

The second warranty replacement one lasted 4.5 months

Let's hope this next one can hold out until I find an OEM one...

Awesome customer service, no questions asked, they send me a replacement one and I send my used one back for testing. I could be the only one who has this problem, but after replacing it for the third time, I just want people to know.
Sucks you have bad luck with them. Do you have a 60 or a 62? Is it a direct swap? If you have a 62, do you use the trans cooler?

Haha, well it's advertised as one. I have no issues busting out the tools and making it fit. I need to cut the shroud anyways to make belt changes easier.
Funny you say that... Yesterday I put another one in and the holes for the fan shroud to mount to the radiator didn't match us at all... So I drilled new holes and got it mounted. I don't mind making stuff work.. But replacing the radiator every 4 months it feels like, is ridiculous. Also, I don't always have access to the shop with projects always coming in and out. So this was a parking lot fix...
20170507_125802.jpg

How's that last mishi working for you, @Rockymtnreaper ? Where were the others failing?

I know I answered you on Instagram, but just in case someone else on mud needs information, the current one is going strong, although I haven't been putting as many miles on the 60 like I used to. Still would recommend going OEM or rebuilding OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom