Military Tires will not mount??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

This is my first post in the Hardcore section, and thought this would be proper here.

I have a set of the 395/85R20 Michelin XML Radials (46.7" tall) that I am having trouble trying to mount on a set of Diamo 20x9 alloy wheels. I took the sets to the local off-road shop, and they called in a 18 wheeler expert fellow that tried, and tried, but could not get the wheel around the lip of the tire.

I understand these are 16ply tires, and damn hard, but I have done a lot of research of guys that have run these and mounted them fine on normal aluminum wheels. I am thinking two piece? or beadlocks? but this will be a on/off-road vehicle, so I don't know what the law says.

Just curious if anybody has ran into this, or can offer a solution, or shop that can take care of this issue for me.

Oh, and these will be going on my F-350 project, no Cruiser with these, hahaha

Thanks,

-Josh

are the tires you have tube type or tubeless .tube style rims dont have the ridge around them to seal the bead .if your putting tube style tires on a tubless rim that may not work .good luck

Well, they do have an optional tube that the military uses in them, but I don't know if that makes them strictly tube type??

These are the same tires that a few of the 80 series guys run on their rigs, but bigger.

The whole issue is that they cannot physically get the tire inside the rim lips, because it is STIFF ....

Thanks,

-Josh

Those are a heavy bead tire used on 20" split rims(bolt together double bead lock style). They are mounted on trucks with a CTIS. They are completely different from a 20" passenger car tire. Where did you get these things? They are military only.

had they tried silicone? old timer trucked tip was to use animal fat...but...not everybody has that laying around :)

did you take them in from the cold and just try to mount?

you may want to leave it near a heater for an hour or so

Yeah, mounting those on a small truck wheel will be tough. Not impossible but tough. Get them warm grease the tire and the wheel, and get the spoons out. It would be much easier with a bolt together rim. I would bet it will take more then one person to mount those up. I don't think one guy will be able to flex that sidewall.....

Ryan.

Those two replies are good advice. Thank you. They have been sitting in a cold garage all winter, and then left outside for the Off-road shop to mount, so yes, 30 degrees or so they were.

My driveline guy, is gunna help me do this, a great plan will needed.

Also, I will do a build thread for this truck. A little different for this site, but I think everybody will enjoy it. 47's, built full floaters, Cut out flares, front and rear ARB's, 6.0 with over 800 diesel pounds of torque. Military trailer to match. Will be a very nice project.

What do you think about getting the tires up on a big press and gradually pressing the rim in, while stretching the tire around it??? I would just hate it to slip and mess up these beautiful alloys.

Thanks again guys,

-J

I don't think one guy will be able to flex that sidewall.....

Ryan.

Oh yeah, I never got a chance to tell you how great your Hooptie project was!!! Soon, I'm gunna be starting a 79, much like that. I havn't been on in a while.

Thanks,

-J

find some one that does farm tractor tires, i dismounted/mounted my tire once what a PIA

First off, do you have problems mounting normal tires by hand? Do you understand the tire has to go on the lip closest to the relief in the center first. Then it needs to be kept in the groove to allow the tire to pull over the lip 180 degrees from where its in the groove.

I would suggest warming them up, greasing them up and finding an old logger to spoon them in (not a kid a the local tire store).

Ps I have done this several times. I have 16.00s on my truck, ran 395/80 before that and have sold mounted several sets too. I even have 6 16.00s on my five ton mounted on hemmit combat beadlocks.

They go on aluminum bling wheels just fine. Some alum wheels have a deeper relief groove than others do, making it a little easier.

Easy recipe...........Heat, grease, cussin, no girly men.

Getterdone.:popcorn:

Please video the process, I could use a laugh!:cheers:

First off, do you have problems mounting normal tires by hand? Do you understand the tire has to go on the lip closest to the relief in the center first. Then it needs to be kept in the groove to allow the tire to pull over the lip 180 degrees from where its in the groove.

I would suggest warming them up, greasing them up and finding an old logger to spoon them in (not a kid a the local tire store).

Ps I have done this several times. I have 16.00s on my truck, ran 395/80 before that and have sold mounted several sets too. I even have 6 16.00s on my five ton mounted on hemmit combat beadlocks.

They go on aluminum bling wheels just fine. Some alum wheels have a deeper relief groove than others do, making it a little easier.

Easy recipe...........Heat, grease, cussin, no girly men.

Getterdone.:popcorn:

Please video the process, I could use a laugh!:cheers:

What he means is they may be reverse center wheels. (I think they are) Which means they may need to be mounted from the back side first. Look and see if the relief(we called it drop center) is closer to the back lip or the front...

What he means is they may be reverse center wheels. (I think they are) Which means they may need to be mounted from the back side first. Look and see if the relief(we called it drop center) is closer to the back lip or the front...

A common problem that we run into at work all the time.

Take it to an industrial center and look for a semi and industrial tire place. Anyone there that knows their ass from their elbow should be able to do it easy.

If you want to make the 7 hour drive, bring it down here to charlotte and we'll take care of if for you. :grinpimp:

lol, silly people who have never mounted tires before. Ive managed a few full service and tire shops and even some of the people who have been there for a while cant seem to mount some stuff right... My bet is that is your problem, ive never not got a tire ive touched mounted, including agricultural tires for skidders and backhoes.

Ugh. I'm getting flashbacks from reading this post. My albatross was the 52" tall Michelins on 5 ton trucks I drove. I'd get pukey walking in endless circles at the end of a 6 ft breaker bar breaking those bastards off and on. Yes the trucks all had air, but we we allowed to adapt the air hoses to the truck's gladhands? Noooo!
Thanks for the memories :)

Ugh. I'm getting flashbacks from reading this post. My albatross was the 52" tall Michelins on 5 ton trucks I drove. I'd get pukey walking in endless circles at the end of a 6 ft breaker bar breaking those bastards off and on. Yes the trucks all had air, but we we allowed to adapt the air hoses to the truck's gladhands? Noooo!
Thanks for the memories :)

I love those tires!:grinpimp:

hahaha, all these replies were awesome ...

Yeah, I'm gunna get some heat on them, and me and my driveline guy are gunna muscle them up ... See what we can do, if not find a shop ...

We are actually closing on a property One hour south of Charlotte in a couple of weeks, and will be moving down there ... Maybe I will take them by your shop, if we can't get the job done in VB ..

Yeah, those guys are pussys, and I told them off on the way out .. They have a bad local rep and the owner was in jail a few times for drugs ... haahaha .. But I though they would be ideal to get these mounted at the time

Thanks again fellas ...

-Josh

hahaha, all these replies were awesome ...

Yeah, I'm gunna get some heat on them, and me and my driveline guy are gunna muscle them up ... See what we can do, if not find a shop ...

We are actually closing on a property One hour south of Charlotte in a couple of weeks, and will be moving down there ... Maybe I will take them by your shop, if we can't get the job done in VB ..

Yeah, those guys are pussys, and I told them off on the way out .. They have a bad local rep and the owner was in jail a few times for drugs ... haahaha .. But I though they would be ideal to get these mounted at the time

Thanks again fellas ...

-Josh

Tega Kay??

Yeah drop em on by.

Tega Kay??

Yeah drop em on by.

Tega Cay. :flipoff2:

And TC is not quite an hour south of Charlotte, it is 15 minutes from my house. Guess it depends on what part of Charlotte. :D

I would guess Columbia-ish?

Tega Cay. :flipoff2:

And TC is not quite an hour south of Charlotte, it is 15 minutes from my house. Guess it depends on what part of Charlotte. :D

I would guess Columbia-ish?

Ooops missed the hour south part.

Hell no on columbia though that's over 90 miles from the boarder

I'd guess around Richburg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom