Metaltech Slider SALE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steel prices have fallen sharply since peaking in 2018. Inflation is around 2% a year. Tariffs are irrelevant for US made steel being sold to a US customer. So.... still not seeing the reason for a 40% increase other than to take advantage of the new "overland" community, which is greedy in my opinion, but whatever, I'll refrain from buying until prices become realistic again.

View attachment 2296871

[Most] Businesses exist for the sole purpose of profit. Are you trying to imply that a small business, doing small business, is doing something wrong by making profit? Things are worth what people are paying for them. If most people would pay more than you for a given product, it would tell me that either A- someone has incredible marketing and you alone possess the ability to see through it or B- you're just cheap.

If you see a demand here, go for it and bring $450 sliders to market. I promise you'd be successful. Until then, maybe just shut up?

Steel prices have fallen sharply since peaking in 2018. Inflation is around 2% a year. Tariffs are irrelevant for US made steel being sold to a US customer. So.... still not seeing the reason for a 40% increase other than to take advantage of the new "overland" community, which is greedy in my opinion, but whatever, I'll refrain from buying until prices become realistic again.

View attachment 2296871
That's fair. I'm not defending anyone, just giving some perspective.
We don't know what kind of costs of overhead or anything else is factored into the price of a thing. Maybe more employees, outsourcing costs, and maybe those prices are not what a particular fab shop actually paid.

I can't afford those nice sliders right now, but I can afford to buy the raw material and make my own.

really good deal,

i bought the metal tech version powder coated last month for my 100 series during the $99 shipping deal. Very impressed with metal tech.

To anyone who bought the raw version, did they come with the mounting hardware or are you supposed to purchase that separately?

To anyone who bought the raw version, did they come with the mounting hardware or are you supposed to purchase that separately?

When I purchased, in the group buy a year ago, all hardware was included with my "raw" sliders.

I love my metaltech sliders, they look good, perform as they should, and act as steps that you can grab stuff from the roof rack.

48834572226_063cfa2b89_h.jpg

To that one guy saying the prices, are high i bought the kit and did it myself a couple years ago on my 01 land cruiser, i think the kit cost me 250 for the universal one. Took me 3 days to finish it, it looked like sh$t, cost another 40-50 bucks in welding gas, wire, and electricity. My income is roughly $350 a day, i spent 3 days on this project, i lost out 1050 from not going to work, 250 for the kit, 50 bucks in other stuff, so all in all i got $1350 in the project. My helmet was also acting up so pretty sure got glaucoma or something from it. So my take away from all this is, i can't weld well, i lack patience, and i spent more money than i thought i'd save.

In the end, value your time, it's worth more than you think.

Last edited:
cool man.

doesnt change the fact that 4 years ago, these exact sliders were retail at $540, and they would run sales of 10% often, bringing the price to $486 (looking at an old email from them as I type this).

they have increased approx 40% in 4 years. that is crazy, and there is no other reason than greed. I guarantee you that the cost to make these did not increase 40%.

If greed is providing full benefits including health insurance, 401k, and performance bonus to American workers that build these in our facility then, then guilty. 4yrs ago we could not afford, nor have the benefits, we also had a higher turn over of great staf that just needed to move on to better-paying jobs that I fully understood. We maintained quality but very challenging with turn over. Also 4 yrs ago we did not stock the way we do now. As a small business dedicated to supporting just Toyota/Lexus we have almost $1M of pre-built inventory in stock, for our customers so they do not have to wait. With properly paid staff w/ full benefits we have ultra-low turnover, so experienced craftsmen continue to build the parts we make. Next is a social responsibility as a company, over 30% of our staff are women, 10% Adults with Disability. Of course, there are paying it back to our Toyota community, Metal-tech 4x4 has been one of the two (Slee and MT both started sponsoring the same time) longest paying sponsors of ih8mud, just ask @woody. Supporting TLCA events has been a very DNA aspect for us since day one, not just a few $$ but boots on the ground at events across the US. Our company TLCA # is also my (Mark Hawley) the founding owners TLCA #. Its 1137. Oh and the steel, hardware, and laser cutting we buy most definitely has increased considerably.

There will always be "cheaper" especially with sliders, home fab guys pop up selling $450 slider. Its great for a few guys that get them in the start but when the honeymoon wears off for the home fab person, they learn you can not make a living at that and provide all that it takes to actually support the products they build. Unfortunately, times in the past guys have "pre-orders" that never get filled then as the "shop" pops way just as fast as it came up. I have ZERO issues with the home fab start-up guys, heck I was one back in 1999. Metal-tech 4x4 will not be a fit for everyone and I am OK with that. Those who want quality proven products that are in stock and backed by a 20yr experienced company, we are here for you. Also, we will be here to support you 10yrs later too.

All mounting hardware is included. Along with phone support for install if needed too.

Can someone take a few good pictures with dimensions of those sliders? I wonder how they mount, what tube size, etc.

As the guy that designed and built the very first ones, I am happy to answer your questions directly.

Tube size:
Main body = 2x4 0.188" wall box tube.
Rails = 1.75" 0.125" DOM-SRA Tubing

Mounting:
Custom laser cut and formed frame mounts. The forming on the frame mounts increases the strength w/o increasing the weight. The mounts use our custom made grade 8 -Bolts w/high nuts to properly grip the frame.

while we're at, can you go over the difference between OPOR and metal tech?
I bought the metal tech brand powder coated for the 100 series because I'm actually the guy that values my time over painting, welding and installing. It was actually an easy install but too heavy for my fragile bones so I took it to my friend's shop and put it on a lift. (much quicker and easier since these sliders weigh what feels like 100lbs each.

while we're at, can you go over the difference between OPOR and metal tech?
I bought the metal tech brand powder coated for the 100 series because I'm actually the guy that values my time over painting, welding and installing. It was actually an easy install but too heavy for my fragile bones so I took it to my friend's shop and put it on a lift. (much quicker and easier since these sliders weigh what feels like 100lbs each.

For sure. Short version: OPOR is the raw slider and MT4x4 is the powder-coated one. (the weldments are the same)

The why? = In 2012 we launched OPOR (Outpost Off Road) as our second brand. The OPOR brand also uses the MT4x4 trademarked two-stage rub rail with the kick-out in the back. However, the OPOR sliders use the more common box tube vrs. at the time MT4x4 custom formed channels we made 100 serries (and other models) sliders from. We also moved the rub rails up from 1.5" DOM-SRA Tubing to 1.75 DOM-SRA and we introduced the dimple die fill plates. The OPOR slider was then offered raw or powder-coated and intended to be lower priced. At the same time, we also had the MT4x4 hundo slider but only available powder coated. Our costs to keep manufacturing the channel version skyrocketed and at the same time we made the decision as a company if our name was on it, it had to ALWAYS be in stock. No more making to order. 100% in stock or not something we make. Well, we basically had 3 different sets of sliders for the hundo and had to decide on how to support the in-stock thing and deal with the channel version looking like it was going to go over $1400 per set. SO we moved the OPOR powder coated as the MT4x4 hundo slider and continue offering the lower-priced raw one as OPOR. The shipping is also a huge saving on raw vrs. powder coated as raw we can toss them in the back of a UPS truck as is and they beat everything up in the truck. Powder-coated, well those get fully wrapped in PE foam, custom foam bags are filled and each side is hand packed in a custom made double wall box. SO shipping powder-coated sliders costs allot more as the size of the TWO boxes pushes most to be delivered via truck freight.

STOCKING manufacturer = Metal-tech 4x4. It's very important to us that we STOCK everything we sell and if we run out of stock have an exact date it will be ready to ship by. There are a lot of moving parts to pull this off but our lean production team is nailing it. For example, we bumped our sock on OPOR sliders just for this sale, after all first time we have EVER done free shipping AND a 10% discount. And our outstanding hundo customers responded and cleaned us out in less than a week. BUT we already had a double run started and the first ones in this run will be ready to ship in just over one week on May 15th. I also have 100% confidence our production team will deliver on time if not earlier as well. This is why we continue to BUILD all of our products in house, sliders, bumpers, suspenion links etc. We still use vendors for machining, laser cutting and powder coating but all the welding, tube bending, saw cutting, assembly, and packaging is done by Metal-tech 4x4 staff under a very large American and Gadsden flag. We can tell the name of the very welder that built any product from Metal-tech 4x4.

very cool; i am a firm believer in the greater good, especially when the greater good produces a great product like the metal tech sliders i received.

we are all living in strange times so it's tough for everyone right now. I can understand the pinch but good things are worth saving up for and good people are worth working with. thanks for the thorough response!

I ordered mine on the 29th, they arrived on the 5th, and got prepped and painted yesterday. Hoping to install this weekend.

I've got a welder and had been thinking about building my own. Probably could have for a few bucks cheaper than I bought these for, but decided to purchase these for two main reasons- if something goes wrong, I can point the finger and it's not pointed at me. Also, it would have taken make hours of design and prep work to fabricate. It would have been fun, sure, but I've got too much else going on. So for $650 I consider these a steal.

A smart man once told me that the price of a product should be determined not by its cost but by its value.

If greed is providing full benefits including health insurance, 401k, and performance bonus to American workers that build these in our facility then, then guilty. 4yrs ago we could not afford, nor have the benefits, we also had a higher turn over of great staf that just needed to move on to better-paying jobs that I fully understood. We maintained quality but very challenging with turn over. Also 4 yrs ago we did not stock the way we do now. As a small business dedicated to supporting just Toyota/Lexus we have almost $1M of pre-built inventory in stock, for our customers so they do not have to wait. With properly paid staff w/ full benefits we have ultra-low turnover, so experienced craftsmen continue to build the parts we make. Next is a social responsibility as a company, over 30% of our staff are women, 10% Adults with Disability. Of course, there are paying it back to our Toyota community, Metal-tech 4x4 has been one of the two (Slee and MT both started sponsoring the same time) longest paying sponsors of ih8mud, just ask @woody. Supporting TLCA events has been a very DNA aspect for us since day one, not just a few $$ but boots on the ground at events across the US. Our company TLCA # is also my (Mark Hawley) the founding owners TLCA #. Its 1137. Oh and the steel, hardware, and laser cutting we buy most definitely has increased considerably.

There will always be "cheaper" especially with sliders, home fab guys pop up selling $450 slider. Its great for a few guys that get them in the start but when the honeymoon wears off for the home fab person, they learn you can not make a living at that and provide all that it takes to actually support the products they build. Unfortunately, times in the past guys have "pre-orders" that never get filled then as the "shop" pops way just as fast as it came up. I have ZERO issues with the home fab start-up guys, heck I was one back in 1999. Metal-tech 4x4 will not be a fit for everyone and I am OK with that. Those who want quality proven products that are in stock and backed by a 20yr experienced company, we are here for you. Also, we will be here to support you 10yrs later too.

All mounting hardware is included. Along with phone support for install if needed too.

As the guy that designed and built the very first ones, I am happy to answer your questions directly.

Tube size:
Main body = 2x4 0.188" wall box tube.
Rails = 1.75" 0.125" DOM-SRA Tubing

Mounting:
Custom laser cut and formed frame mounts. The forming on the frame mounts increases the strength w/o increasing the weight. The mounts use our custom made grade 8 -Bolts w/high nuts to properly grip the frame.

Love this so much! American business at it's very best!

Last edited:
Just ordered mine as well. Yes, I could build them cheaper, but my time is limited and more valuable than what I would save over these! Plus...I dont have to pray get the bends right! Just finished a 4x4labs front bumper and have the rear ready to weld, you just can't beat the price for the time you save!!!

Thank you for all the orders so far everyone! More hundo sliders are being welded right now. All the prep work is done now its blue light time with hoods down. In house production done by Metal-tech 4x4 staff, professional welders that take pride in their work.

Remember our sliders fit and perform for all 100s regardless of AHC or not. When this production runs worth is sold out, that will be the end of the sale for them. 10% off and Free Shipping anywhere in the lower 48.

Photo was taken today, Louis is getting on it here:
IMG_1293.jpg

professional welders that take pride in their work

They must, because I've spent the better part of 2 years trying to tear 'em up. The only halfway serious mark on them is where I slipped off my line and landed the full weight of 7500 pounds on them.

Can’t wait to paint and install my Metal Tech/ OPOR sliders...
...but at the moment, shipping got screwed up and my passenger side slider is stuck in “Exception” in Northern Ca, while my driver side slider arrived in So Cali yesterday... 😖

I contacted Metal Tech today, and they said they’ll look into it..

Can’t wait to paint and install my Metal Tech/ OPOR sliders...
...but at the moment, shipping got screwed up and my passenger side slider is stuck in “Exception” in Northern Ca, while my driver side slider arrived in So Cali yesterday... 😖

I contacted Metal Tech today, and they said they’ll look into it..

Joe422, even with the heavy non-rip plastic tags we put on the sliders, UPS can outdo themselves and somehow "loose" a 70lbs slider. Just yesterday afternoon our staff was discussing 3 sliders that went MIA during this sale with our UPS rep. (we have shipped allot of sliders so far) UPS will do their "search" then allow us to declare them lost so we can ship you a new one from the current run being welded right now. We will get you your sliders for sure. I so appreciate your patience with UPS, the shipping part is out of our control, BUT we can and will control getting you a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom