Builds Megadoomer Build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did a 1 nighter out in Anza Borrego last weekend. A friend and I did some exploring and took advantage of the lack of cell service.

We took Canyon Sin Nombre north from Ocotillo and did the diablo drop off. Then camped in Fish Creek Wash. We headed east through Split Mountain and up the 79 to Julian to see the snow. Really cool geological features.

1678130085153.png

Snow on Mt Laguna.
1678133009240.png

The Drop Off
1678130022371.png

From the top. Photos do not do it justice.
1678133062493.png

1678133119012.png

Love Julian and Ramona areas...where I'd want to live if I moved to S. Cal. Hope you stopped for some pie.

Love Julian and Ramona areas...where I'd want to live if I moved to S. Cal. Hope you stopped for some pie.
Nah, It was a Sunday with snow on the ground. Everyone and their mothers were there and I didn't have the willpower deal with that.

Took the day off yesterday and did a little upkeep on the Pig. We are going to drive to Expo West in Flagstaff latter this month, so I wanted to get em tip top. Fresh earl and filter. All other fluids were good. My front sway bar was very squeaky, probably from all of the rain we got. I ended up drilling a hole in each and putting in a zerk fitting in. It wasnt making noise, but I put a zerk in my panhardt bar too. I kick myself for not just putting the fittings in when I built it, oh well.

The rear sway bar had twisted on 1 side of the axle, so I loosened it up and welded it back into place. Also, needed to fix my camera mirror placement. My rear view mirror was attached to the windshield by the PO, but the glue gave up. I had the camera mirror strapped to the roll cage as a quick fix. I fab'd a litle bracket that would hold the mirror and bolt to the roll bar. It now aimed at me and looks good. Also it is not obstructing any view of the road.

All in all, it was a good day of not working. Had a few beers and helped Steve put some parts back on his Chevelle. Went the local TLCA meeting and had a few more beers and got to BS about Toyotas.

I'm not exactly following what you did with the mirror and how it works. When you have time would you post up a picture. Are you camping at the expo?

I'm not exactly following what you did with the mirror and how it works. When you have time would you post up a picture. Are you camping at the expo?
Ya, I will take photos of everything. I left my phone in the kitchen so that when work people ignored my DND I wouldn't hear it ring all day. Which means I didn't take any progress photos.

Yes, I am camping at the Expo in the serf area. I heard the only bonus to the high dollar camping is a shower. Well, some of us have showers on us at all times ;)

Here is the zerk fitting.
20230503_164740.jpg

The old mirror was on the windshield. It was ok but did obstruct some view while driving. The temp spot was just strapped to the roll bar closer to the passenger side. It was flat and a bit away from easy view. It also got a bad reflection of my 5 o'clock and it was difficult to see what the video was showing me. I made a bracket and it can be bolted and adjusted a little. The PO had a flat piece coming off the roll bar to hold a CB radio. So that is what I am attached to.
20230504_092809.jpg
20230503_164933.jpg

I was looking at the flex in front. At the Cruiser Summit I went up on the RTI ramp. The front was not flexing that great. So on Tuesday I unbolted one side of the sway bar and got another 5 or so inches of flex. I think I am going to put a quick release on the bottom of the link and have it pin to the sway bar arm. It will still be attached on the passenger side but disconnected on the driver. I might also have a quick release on one of the radius arm bolts on the axle. Might get a bit more flex there too. I guess if I feel like I need it. Its not a rock crawler.

I am planning to do a regear soon. I think I am going to put 4.88s in to help with a little more punch low end and help when towing. I thought while I have the 3rds out I would put a detroit in the front for SnGs.

I thought while I have the 3rds out I would put a detroit in the front for SnGs.
Man, unless they have changed over the years, a Detroit locker is rough up front. My son put one in the front of his Cherokee and on pavement it wasn't fun to make a tight turn, popping and jerking. On the rear view, you have a camara mounted out back somewhere and that's the screen. That's something I have to look at for ours. How far back on the road can you see?

A locker in the front is fine when you have manual locking hubs. Not so fine with auto. I dont get the fronts locked in too often, and when I do the locker will help more than hurt in most situations. I have a detroit in the back and I have no issues with it.

The rear view camera is not as far as a regular mirror. It has a little fish eye to it so the image isnt as clear about 100 or so feet behind. Not really sure what distance it is. I just know it is a lot like the passenger side mirror. "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"
I bet there are some manufactures that might give better cameras and have less fish eye, but the fish eye really helps when you are backing up near objects you dont necessarily want to hit.

This kit comes with 3 cameras. The rear is the only water proof one so the other 2 have to be inside the pig. But you can have them look any direction you want. I have one looking forward and another now looking back towards my blind spot on the drive side. I might change that up to the other side. I wanted to put one on my front bumper to see the ground right in front. I might do that with another camera kit in addition to what I already have. The stereo I want to get comes with a backup camera, and since I already have one. that might look forward. we will see.

Ya, I will take photos of everything. I left my phone in the kitchen so that when work people ignored my DND I wouldn't hear it ring all day. Which means I didn't take any progress photos.

Yes, I am camping at the Expo in the serf area. I heard the only bonus to the high dollar camping is a shower. Well, some of us have showers on us at all times ;)
You’ll enjoy the Expo. Bonnie and I got free admissions and camping last year for volunteering a couple of shifts each. Be prepared to be awed by all the expensive things you didn’t know you need. Also by the sheer number of creative builds. Last year no shortage of interesting Toyotas.

Man, unless they have changed over the years, a Detroit locker is rough up front. My son put one in the front of his Cherokee and on pavement it wasn't fun to make a tight turn, popping and jerking. On the rear view, you have a camara mounted out back somewhere and that's the screen. That's something I have to look at for ours. How far back on the road can you see?
But why would you have the front engaged if you were on pavement? That sounds like time for 2WD/RWD.

Pablo, my son had a Detroit in back, also. For me driving it in the city it was very annoying. I didn't like them, but people seem to deal with them. When he put it in four wheel drive and tried to steer around a turn even in gravel or snow etc., it just seemed unruly. The locker is very tough and I guess least likely to beak, so there is that.

Pablo, my son had a Detroit in back, also. For me driving it in the city it was very annoying. I didn't like them, but people seem to deal with them. When he put it in four wheel drive and tried to steer around a turn even in gravel or snow etc., it just seemed unruly. The locker is very tough and I guess least likely to beak, so there is that.
Yes, I bet auto-lockers F & R sounds like a challenge, esp if you can't select 2WD/RWD.
The Aussie locker in the rear of the 40 requires some technique when navigating tight turns on pavement (the King Soopers parking lot in Moab).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom