Builds mcgaskins' 2013 build thread - Palladium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still stock other than running boards removed, front strut spacer, Icon wheels/Ridge Grapplers and Maxtrax added.

ACtC-3eVF-BZEk7YqSPnJ-HZzecT0dKcE2P01hXAhjOVNP9RJuCJlksSunv9YPi8bK85UeHVJuYNMJPQj_0_Y2xdByWMgT62wSJaaEyMJwPmRKYfMecVLgUqhWS7e0w_4iErvXKJfhRcBASfVPFrGFeWWQGDpg=w1409-h937-no

ACtC-3dOjheqGhJlm67udGX_TubLJChGyOOdCcVVaQbQtEpgPaRfDFPTUMLovUrUPehRvmhS4GZkDo2nGSA32zH0ruPnmWGt8mQokHD4I41hKlexLnXTrixSe467BMlNpnnOEQpfshWj7gMmz6ivEVbluqF79g=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3drsFthPRZFyWUnC8R6MyMZP-_Hn6OEJJeQt_zGjljqvD5WrDDqrmZae5OFzVSwVpNKPklCDPkc9Nr6J7gJlv_KTTO3SA4WMs0XQ2TNYRH24AboL0EDkNBkA5KQj0YW6UGx4y1EUt12IcBGQ7OqXZPgqg=w1423-h937-no

Dude. So funny. You and I met on the forums originally because we had the exact same vehicles in our garage (At the time 08 LX570's and 08 CRF250x, 2016 Ducati Scrambler). Clearly we share some similar tastes. I haven't been on the forums in a year or so. We sold the house in CO and the LX and have been RVing around the country full time. Well we're settling down again and this weekend I spotted a Tundra with some SWEET bronze rims. Thought they were LC Heritage Edition rims at first then saw the ICON stamp on on them and went googling. Here I am reading your build thread lol! I just wired the money today for a 2013 LX that will be delivered this weekend when we arrive to our new home in Boise. Thought you might get a kick out of that, love the Palldium build Matt!

As of now, we are not planning to offer it with swingouts.

The shell is 39lbs (aluminum). Total with frame brackets, recover points, and hardware is approximately 71lbs.

Pleasant surprise. A lightweight option for the community is an awesome thing.

Curious if this accounts for factory parts pulled off? I'm assuming not? Sounding even better.

It is suspiciously not body colored @mcgaskins. Are you going to color match it?

I was curious about that, too. Seems like it would look pretty sharp if it was color-matched.

I go back and forth on the color match in the back. The contrast is pretty noticeable against the silver, and it seems people are pretty evenly split on whether color matched or contrasting is better. I've thought about getting it wrapped in silver instead of painting, but I have a strong feeling I'd destroy the wrap pretty quickly wheeling - although this bumper has amazing clearance compared with stock!

I added the Kaon shelf @TheGrrrrr brought to our attention recently, and wow it is really nice! Fast shipping, well packaged, reasonable price, great quality, and easy to install. I watched the install video 3 times to ensure I understood because I truly feared I'd drop a nut or bolt behind the trim panels, but it really only took about ~20 minutes (after 45 minutes of watching the Youtube install video). I was surprised how you really don't lose any useful rear visibility, and I didn't even notice it on my first drive. I actually think I would notice it if the shelf is empty because you'd see light through the holes, but I immediately put blankets and camp pillows up there blocking the holes. It will make more sense in the pics:

Removed handles and captive nuts in place

ACtC-3c2q6Nxe3qx58w7oWx6TGAzW8uPiTPyv34fb-XBELixjvu_dx3-Hm75kfZmUEzUdtmXQzI_vP-_pbT6sVzGR3d20LuqhJYHDesFwEaFnZdiS3vdYT8wKTk3nxuIpjvGOXOcLoc4rpR73UoRfTGnKPKWkg=w1174-h880-no

I may repurpose one of these for a third row exit handle...

ACtC-3eXfxwnRtHEIW96Z4aMaa_I5BVEUfUHUqiR2M8DwQRDNf5BEZOTfkzuDOaDHDrEVFO-pg0oKdYEwSbc8AwUD5x4yMbOyYNryPXksFEG6Er7zV5y9W66TkTRrW2GcsDnOAIgCiA6H9pEYWXL36bccwE6iA=w660-h880-no

Fits well with ARB drawer

ACtC-3cW5nYlSaxeASp0cAb0GHkzKoJSGmyISksEZFQwzCIibPb_9m4p6vSo7_zy3NrV_3HQ84mi73vu9o2ZYC82xi8xXsu4rI3ilbdCdITiO1U2i87Ahuh02GM6NY4fxkgX9SwJqxOO29rPBOsTzCqZK9XgEg=w1174-h880-no

In rear view with nothing on shelf

ACtC-3d6BOtplMARBlG6vL8JvlM9f6IcWfGXD5OU8VXw5xszLbH7pqMevwyJZIzxidsvqRYX6kM4OzQ6_OU1smN8fImD-NPPNeNNo1qWsnSzOGlkRJGseibUqjqOLwt-zX7O1qxTpBt8GfsN1zDwPssKar7IHQ=w640-h880-no

I was actually just snapping this pic for @JohnJB because I've only seen him wear Mopar clothing, but it gives a good idea of rear visibility with blankets and pillows in place.

FN6mNMSeqnRzY7NZT70vx0a9sLSeTQGZ3LmrbLV01IySKgQr0hM3ih66Wr4v8rVMC96lR1sZ658BmmBqU-y1gg__0LStXTAUNAVF7V8KP_z0tQfcKarLnUNxE6DSYCaF6kJVxzm1D3ao6Z3Mqpragh2be6HgU7US4wHusWbmGR5iI7RmMXFJ5MlnIldWcWSfA04U8Q3KlGlQhv2m7fDxchDE2eYzFoq-Ce9WldJHos1-OGi_vL83mlKLREvQKVPuzHbQk96dFjocygtircuZVdbtLW3420RLmzUp8Atqp6sTNBZpUKdEbRq6-BWNUX4jyNF2y09_8bRbCbg9n3dQZhfeEHgHQA4ehIJfN_RE35DVSnkFtFSzV57tDWr6QLjARAA7plfmgFeIP0XZa6gnGjrzN9-nbWy-hzyJs7-Zc8u8ptAT5h6fRvg3wNsMulHIIjtfq9JiRJ0J7yP4yWEUS9zKtWU9WhnItQNATn5mZIq0BV3kT0CEjFoVgo4grFQSDm8x09MpYEOFWo3IUAf7GydPtNVpibEqGEy28cnTflTSWRMRK0Ld_G1KKkvrQ2PguzbObyJHQjdJtVXjaGzphj7MnJYNmPwHK-81jBLz5A6qjIXT_o5hlmngN407bhPiLrJkmWgk6qNlXjBb9et5vUu12hvTFoq5lcd8PgS-KNjfJWtm_YAc2vCtqRQfZYUEEvFowiXgzBuBYTqkgDKRSBlAlw=w660-h880-no

I love the Kaon shelf and I agree that it doesn't hinder your rear view. My buddies don't believe me when I tell them that it's not even in my peripheral. I highly recommend this accessory. I am interested to see how you repurpose the handles.

It's $300 USD delivered and is totally worth it. It is extremely well engineered and impeccable build quality. It is expensive for a shelf, and maybe not worth it for everybody, but I've spent more on far less useful mods.

I can carry 4 helinox chairs, 4 sleeping bags, a popup privacy tent and a few other odds and ends. It is much safer up there than just laying around on top of all the other stuff.

"Reasonable price" - you guys must be in a different tax bracket than me because AUD $446.52 seems a little steep for a shelf to carry $20 worth of blankets 😀

Mine carries more than $20 worth of blankets. In fact the contents up there far exceed the cost of the shelf itself. Like I said in another thread, it isn't for everyone.

"Reasonable price" - you guys must be in a different tax bracket than me because AUD $446.52 seems a little steep for a shelf to carry $20 worth of blankets 😀

I think mine was just barely over $300 USD delivered. I realize that seems expensive, but when compared to other options, I think it is worth it. I've used the Blue Ridge Overland Gear attic which is made of mesh and cord, and each time I received one with either a missing or broken buckle and had to improvise. It does not feel designed for the 200 and hung pretty low when you put anything in it, and it's $100 plus shipping (requires ordering even more to get free shipping). The Kaon is designed specifically for the 200 and fits perfectly, and I plan to add some things to make it even more useful soon once I get some free time. The way I determine value out of accessories is: how useful is it, how well designed/what kind of quality is it, how well does it fit, how easy is it to install and use, how does it look, and if I want to get rid of it how close to the original purchase price can I sell it for. I think this shelf excels in every category, and I'll bet if I wanted to sell it I could recoup $250-300, especially if I offered to install for someone. I have a feeling it will never get removed however, and I'm looking forward to camping inside the 200 with it in place to see if it makes life easier or harder.

It's $300 USD delivered and is totally worth it. It is extremely well engineered and impeccable build quality. It is expensive for a shelf, and maybe not worth it for everybody, but I've spent more on far less useful mods.

I can carry 4 helinox chairs, 4 sleeping bags, a popup privacy tent and a few other odds and ends. It is much safer up there than just laying around on top of all the other stuff.
It also makes a great platform for 9' fly rods when you want to carry them inside. I put mine through the shelf with the butt under the rear seatbelt on the ceiling and with the rod tip under a bungee off the front visor.

It also makes a great platform for 9' fly rods when you want to carry them inside. I put mine through the shelf with the butt under the rear seatbelt on the ceiling and with the rod tip under a bungee off the front visor.

I've done the same with mine, works for both conventional and fly rods.

I've done the same with mine, works for both conventional and fly rods.
What is this conventional rod of which you speak? :hmm:

7-7'8' conventional bay rods with 150-200 series bait caster reels.
Ahhhh...type of rod that actually lands fish. Got it.

They both get it done, but yes, the conventional setups catch a lot more than the fly rods. The whole targeting a specific fish with sight casting versus lures (I don't use bait, artificial/lures only) isn't really fair when it comes to the numbers game.

See...that's my dream bumper down to a T. I thought it was something from Slee based upon the lines. Why don't you go ahead and ship it to me and I'll go ahead and use it?
I'm with you on this.... dont really want swing outs, i am in/out of the rear way too often with dogs/guns/rods etc. Hope they do a trailer plug relo to the bumper and offer lights.

Sometimes I read random build threads for fun; and as I’m flipping through yours, I’m like “wow, this truck looks really familiar!!”

I don’t know for certain, but I’m pretty sure I live just a couple houses away from you! I drive a 2006 Ash Blue GX470.

Great looking truck!

Sometimes I read random build threads for fun; and as I’m flipping through yours, I’m like “wow, this truck looks really familiar!!”

I don’t know for certain, but I’m pretty sure I live just a couple houses away from you! I drive a 2006 Ash Blue GX470.

Great looking truck!

Thank you! Wow that's funny, and yes that's us. It's a small world!

@mcgaskins - pretty much copied your "Palladium" suspension blueprint and very happy with the results. OME Nitro shocks on 2702/2722 springs and SPC UCA's. Could not find any OME BP51's, and in retrospect, don't really see what benefit those would have provided, given that I am not planning on doing anything crazy with this particular Land Yacht. Haven't really thrashed it in the dirt yet, but the stance/rake and firm yet comfortable ride quality are exactly what I wanted. Love that there is zero trimming, drilling, shimming, spacing, rubbing, extra greasing and the alignment guys said it was a dream to dial in. KDSS re-baselined easily and no weird body lean or other issues related to having too many choices. Should settle in at a tad over 2" of lift. I may diddle with the rear springs some day if my loads increase, but those are $200/pair so not worried about it.

lando_lifted.jpg

I hope you guys realize I was just pulling your chains about the Kaon shelf - I want one and can see the value (at a premium price), but I need to get my other storage dialed in first.

And no I don't live in your neighborhood, but I do spend a few months a year in Boulder and around RMNP. If you see my 200 in your neighborhood, please don't shoot! 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom