Builds Lynchburg Lemonade, matzell's STW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked around on the Google search. (after making the second set) These look like the ones Mark sells @65swb45 I think they are stronger than the ones others are selling due to the fact the angles of the mounting points, both at about a 45 deg angle so they keep from bending back. Others are at a 90 deg down and allows the bottom skid to flex upwards without support. With the time I had wrapped up in them I would have been better off buying them. I will know better next time! I did add the shock mount in the proper position to optimize flex and less stress on the shock bushing.

Edit: you said shackle skids, I am not sure I answered your question????
So I did :doh:, you answered my question.
I especially like the low shock hanger, nice work!

Pass side frame rail finished. I welded a couple of nuts to the bottom side to mount the tow hook.

IMG_3687.JPG

IMG_3688.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3692.JPG

Sometimes you just have to see how all the picss to the puzzle fit..

Steering box is mounted along with the front bumper. I like the way the box is tucked up and back . It just barely clears the shackle but fits. Next up is pump and steering shaft. Then I will slip the pitman arm on and measure for the drag link.
Wheeling in two weeks?!?!?! I hope so!!!!!

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

So I got the green light to work on this all weekend. I sprayed a little paint last night. Color is not a perfect match but looks pretty good!

Rustoleum Maui Blue.

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

Last edited:
Steering column modified. I used a slick little bearing I picked up from my friends at Iron Pig Off Road. With some light sanding it slips right on and you tap it in the place in the tube. The outer piece insures it will not come out.

Now to mount the pump, cooler and hoses. Oh and the pitman arm, drag link too. All the little details!

I did have to grind a small spot on the motor mount to clear. I think because I set the box so far back.

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

I ran into a delay when I broke my 21 mm tap today. I still need to finish the draglink.

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

I did get the pump and cooler mounted up. All the little things like hose clamps! I will get some in the am and get the steering bleed. The cooler should help keep the fluid cool and add about 1/2 quart of extra fluid. This is a 12" dual pass Derale unit.

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG

I am using a 99-04 WJ pitman arm. It is much beefier than the TJ arm and a bit longer. I reamed the hole out for the mini truck tie rod. It is indexed different than the TJ so I had to cut out the key ways with a hack saw and use a triangle file to cut tapper the spline.

The WJ arm also has about the right drop for a stock or 2.5" lift.

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

Last edited:
Not much time in shop today. Brake lines are done. I somehow mis-placed the new master cylinder and the new engine belt!🙄
If you do a lot of brake line work this is a great tool to have. Perfect flares everytime.

Btw I eluded to the color early on!

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

New 21mm tap came in today so I was able to get the drag link done. Now to center the box and get some paint on it.

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

What winch do you put on a FJ40? Warn 8274, of corse!

IMG_3747.JPG

Last edited:
It said on the can you can spray over rust. I must have missed a step!

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

I had a blast wheeling this weekend! Had had to get a little tug on "V" trail but made all the other spots.

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

Last edited:
I was the smallest tire and had to lead some of these big boys around.

IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3764.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

Thanks to CLCC for taking over Fall Cawl this year. They did a great job!

IMG_3770.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom