LX470 Cabin Air Filter Replacement DIY (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found my 2000 has the cabin air filter door! Yey... then went ahead to inspect the filter to my surprize someone took off the filters but didn't replace it with new. The AC evaporator is covered with dirt etc.,

I took off the cover plate so I can clean the evaporator.
Made a set of tools to clean the evaporator.
I used kids plastic golf stick and cut it to make a nice 90 degree to use as an attachment for the vacuum cleaner to suck up dirt stuck in the evaporator.

DSCN3374.JPG

DSCN3375.JPG

DSCN3377.JPG

DSCN3372.JPG

DSCN3376.JPG

@nissanh nice job with the custom tools! That's one of the dirtier filter boxes we've seen in this thread. I would bet it never had the filters, and that's not uncommon unfortunately.

correct parts for a 2006.
I got them from cruiserparts.net
1 x A/C Cooler Cover No. 2 UZJ100 98-03 (88891-60060) = $16.97
1 x A/C Cooler Cover No. 1 UZJ100 98-03 (88891-60040) = $25.03
denso filters from amazon DENSO 453-1001 $22.

Tons of dirt and leaves in mine, and what looked like a bunch of hair. Mine was dripping onto the floor mat if I parked even slightly nose up, I had to take it apart anyway. I'm glad I did. It was gross.
View attachment 1335479

What was dripping?

^^ Water, which is accumulated at the evaporator coil.

1998 LC here. AC stunk. I found tis thread and I have the filter compartment but no filter in there. Pines needles, dog hair and it was wet at the bottom. Drying it out with a hairdryer and hope to do as previous poster and try and vacuum the eval a bit as Im sure its mucked up with stinky crud.

As of this date (10/16), where is the best place to order correct filters from and how many etc.? I have the 88568-60010 PN but am unsure if I need two of those or one or is there an aftermarket option that comes with two? I have seen conflicting posts/

Thank you

The home made golf stick tool was amazing! It did it's job better than I expected. Notice the thin form layer at the end of the golf-stick handle. this makes a good seat with the vacuum hose.
1) Using the brush, brushed the surface/fins and sucked all the loose stuff into the vacuum.
2) Using a spray bottle, I wet the area with warm water (IMPORTANT: cover the ECU and wires with a plastic bag)
then brushed the surface and vacuumed: Also noticed the drain line started dropping dirty water
3) Sprayed again and vacuumed once more.

BOB F: Yes, the AC was blowing a terrible smell. Yet to check the outcome. I bought two filters off of ebay for $13 shipped. Those are made in China and it is just a cabin air filter so I didn't bother to go with OEM.

Result...

DSCN3379.JPG

DSCN3380.JPG

DSCN3381.JPG

Last edited:
Is there a carbon activated filter option?

The home made golf stick tool was amazing! It did it's job better than I expected. Notice the thin form layer at the end of the golf-stick handle. this makes a good seat with the vacuum hose.
1) Using the brush, brushed the surface/fins and sucked all the loose stuff into the vacuum.
2) Using a spray bottle, I wet the area with warm water (IMPORTANT: cover the ECU and wires with a plastic bag)
then brushed the surface and vacuumed: Also noticed the drain line started dropping dirty water
3) Sprayed again and vacuumed once more.

BOB F: Yes, the AC was blowing a terrible smell. Yet to check the outcome. I bought two filters off of ebay for $13 shipped. Those are made in China and it is just a cabin air filter so I didn't bother to go with OEM.

Result...

View attachment 1340091

View attachment 1340092

View attachment 1340093
Great work.

I watched a couple YouTube vids on cleaning condenser in cars. One guy used scrubbing bubbles and rinsed it with a controlled water spray. It should drain out the drain tube so this is a good time to check that.

Another sprayed Lysol spray in the intake grid in front of the windshield while the ac was on. That makes sense to me. I bet a lot of the odor comes from accumulation on the duct work.

We have Labrador s and there was dog hair on the condenser. I'm getting filters but when on recirculate , where is the intake in the car and where is the recirculate flap? I'd like to clean that area as well

Is there a carbon activated filter option?

I remember someone found some that fit but they said it reduced air flow too much. It's been a few years FWIW.

I try not to use any detergents as that may weaken the Aluminum evaporator. The recirculate intake is right behind the ECU (you can see the ECU in one of the pictures I listed).

I received the filters yesterday (off of eBay $13 shipped for both). Got those installed and all is good. The filters are in very good quality. I can see a big difference in the fresh air coming out of the vents.

If anyone wants the filters and don't have the door, you can get the plastic panel (shown in one of my previous post) and install it by simply removing the 8 Phillips bolts.

I was just giving the air con a refresh, a new air mix servo as it started getting noisey, my next step was to clean the condensor and motor, but to my surprise I have a already fitted cabin filter door which I thought was great, but toyota uk wouldn't sell me the filters. Do any of the landcruiser years have them fitted or is it just the lexus. They never sold the lexus in the uk so that might be the issue.
IMG_0896.JPG

Why wouldn't they fit one, is there a reason for it?

I was just giving the air con a refresh, a new air mix servo as it started getting noisey, my next step was to clean the condensor and motor, but to my surprise I have a already fitted cabin filter door which I thought was great, but toyota uk wouldn't sell me the filters. Do any of the landcruiser years have them fitted or is it just the lexus. They never sold the lexus in the uk so that might be the issue.
View attachment 1364931
Why wouldn't they fit one, is there a reason for it?
My 98 LC has the door but no filters. I installed filters for the first time last month and cleaned the condenser. Made a huge difference. No more smelly AC

I'm curious why 1998 and 2000 LC's have filter slots and not the 2005, which I have.
I've never personally checked but did ask my mechanic to look and he said there's no filter slot.

This is quite a long thread and I'm curious if the subject of how to modify Cruisers without air filter slot has come up somewhere? If so, any step by step photo documentation of the installation would be greatly appreciated.

This is quite a long thread and I'm curious if the subject of how to modify Cruisers without air filter slot has come up somewhere? If so, any step by step photo documentation of the installation would be greatly appreciated.

There's a sticky on it in the FAQ. I started it. It includes part numbers, details. pics, etc. Also quite a long thread, but it's all there.

HERE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom