Builds LX450 where to start! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good!

Have you determined why it pulled to the left? Do you still have the P040x codes?

Really not much PM needs to be done to keep an LC happy.

I haven't found out why it is pulling to the left, I am going to swap front tires right to left today and see if it is the tires.

As for the P0402 code, I still get it occasionally, but it is very sporadic. I am going to go through the EGR system this spring. I would love to just get rid of all of it. I doesn't make any sense to me to blow exhaust back into the motor. But I don't think I will be able to rid the engine of it, sure would be nice though.

Last night I went on a little online shopping spree and ordered my 4x4labs bumper, Wagongear tailgate lid, and Metaltech sliders.

Next on the list but not sure it will happen until maybe summer is re-gear to 4.88:1, Arb, and rebuild both axles, probably Poly Performance rear chromoly shafts, and maybe Longfield chromoly inner axles, I won't use their birfs in a truck that sees frequent highway use.

Ryan

Fuel Sock PM

Nothing too exciting here just wanted to do the Fuel Sock PM since I have seen some pretty nasty ones in the past and I already had the interior out.

Cracking the Banjo bolt cost me a little fuel, but it helped clean the cover up so I won't complain. ha.
tank.JPG
tank2.JPG

Inside the tank

It looks like maybe someone already beat me to it?? The sock looked to be in great condition.

Inside of the tank was crystal clear.

I went ahead and changed the sock, rubber clip on the bottom and the gasket on the lid.
sock.JPG
inside.JPG

Roof Rack

Anyone want a roof rack?? Free.

I wouldn't recommend it. I didn't expect much of anything under there since this is a Texas truck but I found enough to make me recommend to anyone that they pull their stock rack. Couple of the inserts just spun so the screws had to be drilled out. I really only have 1 bad spot of rust. I will sand it down and hit it with extenze rust neutralizer before I have the line-x sprayed.
roof.JPG
roof2.JPG
rust.JPG

Waiting

While I was waiting for the extenze rust neutralizer to dry, I decided I would take on the quick task of doing Slee's upgraded headlight wire harness.....

Well this is a nice product the instructions leave a little to be desired. It isn't bad, just not great and certainly not step by step. I ended up just not even really using the installation instructions. That and I ended up wanting to sleeve the sleeve, I am sure that the bright yellow sleeve is tough enough but is sure stands out.

I did run it under the rad support and this also gave me a good chance to replace the dead foam seal on the top of the radiator.
slee.JPG
slee2.JPG

The other thing that I learned is that the hood latch on my particular truck is incredibly touchy. I actually locked myself out of the engine bay for a bit. After a little panic, reading on mud, crawling on the ground under the front of the truck etc, I learned that there is no real way to let yourself in from the outside. A few of the guys with the earlier trucks were able to jimmy the latch.... I am not sure if it is the later model year or a Lexus thing but they have a protective plastic shield around the latch mechanism.

So I beat on the hood a little thinking maybe it wasn't engaging far enough etc. I eventually rigged up a way to "pull" on the latch while being able to yank on the hood. This finally worked. Lots of crouching and watching the hood drop. I finally got it close enough that it will open. It doesn't have that authoritative pop that I like, but it opens.

Here is my rigged way of holding the latch inside the truck while I yank on the hood.

If you are doing the headlight harness upgrade, maybe trace around the latching mechanism with a pencil so you can get it back in the exact same spot. My truck may have been in an accident or something but there didn't seem to be much room for error.

Ryan
latch.JPG

Thanks Scotty. My Slee harness is in the mail, so your latch details will likely help out. I am thinking or removing my rack, but now I am extra motivated seeing your rust. You are making good progress. Looks good. Gracias...

Wow you don't waste time. That's quite some progress and mod list already.

I just removed my rack and had liner sprayed as well. Did all the way under the rails to prevent them from rusting. Common in Hawaii.

Western Flyer,

Definitely check under that rack! The rest of my LX is spotless, but under those rack feet you can see the mess they left. If I didn't pull it off and waited until it started to show signs it would have been too late.

The Slee harness is a nice addition when you do it, are you upgrading to the high output bulbs too?

Ryan

Thanks Scotty. My Slee harness is in the mail, so your latch details will likely help out. I am thinking or removing my rack, but now I am extra motivated seeing your rust. You are making good progress. Looks good. Gracias...

GT443,

Do you have pics of your liner being sprayed out to the rails? I was thinking about doing the rain channel, are you saying you had liner wrapped all the way around the rail?

Thanks!
Ryan

Wow you don't waste time. That's quite some progress and mod list already.

I just removed my rack and had liner sprayed as well. Did all the way under the rails to prevent them from rusting. Common in Hawaii.

Great build thus far! I look forward to the progress.

What bulbs did you go with upon upgrading to the Slee harness? I put it in the summer before last and wish I had done it long before. A fantastic upgrade for the 80.

If you ever decide to turbo it, I'll bet you'll see about .75 degrees of timing per lb of boost, AFR's are in the 11's at 16psi with mid to high 60% IDC's.

You'll love it.

Last edited:
I used the IPF X91 for lows and the IPF H4 Fatboy for hi's and I agree it is a nice change brights really light things up, but I think I have another thing in the works for lots more light.

Ryan

Great build thus far! I look forward to the progress.

What bulbs did you go with upon upgrading to the Slee harness? I put it in the summer before last and wish I had done it long before. A fantastic upgrade for the 80.

Just the front winch. Easier to run the cables that way.

Ryan

Have been discused that front optima ports aren't for huge loads .. that's what I got you must confirm it .. just hint for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom