Lx450 lift kit problems .. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m trying to lift my lx450 about a 4-6 inch lift and everyone’s telling me i cant do it because no one has the driveshaft which is needed for the lift .... i called Slee, arb, old man emu, iron man, and other company’s i wanna lift it about 4 inches does anyone know where i can get a COMPLETE Kit from ... idc how much at this point ..... i want a lift with caster correctors, shocks, coils, sway bars etc please post a link or discuss where i can find a drive shafts if i was to purchase the 4 inch without the driveshaft ...

Can't you just get the driveshaft(s) custom made at a driveshaft shop? You should just need double cardan joints at both ends, no?

What he said.... I have had many driveshafts built in my days. really good ones cost me about $300, but well worth it.

There are lots of "complete" kits out there for 80 series rigs these days, and everyone has "their" brand. IIRC Slee Offroad kits are dialed in, and I believe they have a 4" kit. I have had Old Man Emu "J" springs lift and it is about 4" IIRC, but the kit doesn't come with DC shafts or appropriate caster correction.

Good luck!

I run a DC front shaft from Landtank, and my rear is done by Tom Woods. Running a OME 850J and 863 springs and 30mm slee spacers. Land Tank caster correction.

ok I just today picked up a new( not used) double cardon driveshaft I bought a new tacoma rear from @beno then paid 100 bucks to have it retubed and good to go, and it isnt an ld junkyard DC thats been repainted its new.

Why do you need a complete kit? Cant you just piece all the necessary parts together for your sick lift kit? They will come in separate boxes and you may have to enter your credit card on a couple different websites but the end result will be the same, bro.

Because he doesn't want to figure it out for himself.

I would bet he's ordering a kit and having it shipped to someone to instal for him, and is going to find out really quick how expensive it is to pay someone to work on your land cruiser thats old enough to vote...

Get a DC front shaft from Wits End. Get Landtanks Caster Plates or Metal Tech's (they worked for my J lift).

Id suggest you research Slinky and Dobinson kits in addition to OME. The kits will have springs, shocks, i forget what else. You'll need swaybar drop brackets front and rear and don't bother extending your brake lines, it sounds like this is a mall crawler.

Ill do all the labor and install your lift for $1,500 an hour.

Just curious ... is the DS required? If so, why doesn't ICON or the other big kits sell the DS in their kits? Seems like the logical thing to do.

I don't have one with J springs. It gets unhappy decelerating from 70-50MPH but besides that doesn't make a difference to me.

I don't have one with J springs. It gets unhappy decelerating from 70-50MPH but besides that doesn't make a difference to me.
Yea it’s because the angels
On your pinion aren’t right .... you need the drive shaft

Because he doesn't want to figure it out for himself.

I would bet he's ordering a kit and having it shipped to someone to instal for him, and is going to find out really quick how expensive it is to pay someone to work on your land cruiser thats old enough to vote...
Dude idk why your being a dick I’m asking because i don’t know anything about lifting them and i wanna make sure it’s proper .... before you talk about paying someone else to work on my landcruisers just know i built my motor from head to toe

Just curious ... is the DS required? If so, why doesn't ICON or the other big kits sell the DS in their kits? Seems like the logical thing to do.

Because it’s not a manufactured item that holds up well with available DC joints.

Yea it’s because the angels
On your pinion aren’t right .... you need the drive shaft

yes, i know my pinion angles are off. Its not severe enough though; armor, roofrack + hard tent, drawers and tons of hunting crap inside keep the lift manageable.

Dude idk why your being a dick I’m asking because i don’t know anything about lifting them and i wanna make sure it’s proper .... before you talk about paying someone else to work on my landcruisers just know i built my motor from head to toe

I think hes just having a little fun. Dont take it so seriously, my advice. However, if you built your motor entirely (would love to hear all the details, really), then installing a lift and setting caster and driveline angles should be a piece of cake for you, right?

DS would not typically come with the kit because there are MANY other suspension changes that can/may occur with a 4"-6" lift.

Adjustable control arms, adjustable lateral control rod, caster correction, 3-link / 4-link, and a few other things.

Usually, when folks go above 2-1/2" lift, they get into MANY more issues and the use of the vehicle is changing and going more severe, so the vendors are less likely to build a full "kit" because the options become wide-open. They are also less-likely to warranty parts for something like that due to change in use.

Anything above the 2-1/2" becomes very custom and user-specific, so it's harder to build a one-fits-most application.

You will need to piece together your kit and document your DS lengths and angles in order to put it together the best way. A lot of these folks end up changing parts many times to get the "right" combination. @RFB has changed many pieces of his setup based on his use and how long the part(s) last. Same with @jcardona1 . They end up custom-building many parts to get it to where they want it to be.

Last edited:
Thanks @BILT4ME for the information and why that would not be offered in the "kits" already offered. People going 4" or more should have a reason for doing so, and that reason will dictate the rest of the mods, and change the suspension interaction with the DS. Now that makes sense. It's not that they can't ... it's because "one size won't fit all."

I have gone the normal 2.5, but thinking about what might be possible. I haven't done any big wheeling with it. It's a pretty good drive from here to do that. My rig is fine for my purposes now. I guess the OP should decide what he wants to do with it. Even if mall cruisin for looks, get a DS made and roll on. If crawling, might want to look at other options to go with it when talking to an installer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom