LX J201 Concept (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for taking the time to share the additional insight!

If you don't mind me picking your brains some more. What else does the fueling system compose of? Injectors? Anything else?

Even with Toyota USA support, it's interesting that the technical solution would be a Unichip piggyback. IIRC, the Tundra's have the benefit of factory calibrations that can be flashed. Even with essentially the same motor, bringing the calibration to the 200-series ECU is non-trivial so I can understand.

Last edited:
@cruiseroutfit we talked before about me buying an Airmax snorkel and trying to make it work on my LX. Nobody had done it at the time and you were (rightfully) hesitant to recommend (to an end user/consumer) attempting to make it work.
What are your thoughts now? I have a great shop and I’d love to hear you say, “go for it, buy the ‘x’ snorkel and you can make it work,” and I’ll grab one from you :)

We used the Airtec (TJM) on this particular build. Mostly because it has a noticably stealthier upper body that attracted our Lexus team members. It also took a great deal of mods to the snorkel body, SAIS system, intake tube, etc to fit BUT not something I wouldn't do again. @bryson and I installed this one and were both quite tickled with the results overall. It fits as good as many Safari, Airtec, OEM snorkel applications. A close eye when at the vehicle will reveal the tweeking we had to do on the snorkel body but again, it turned out great imo.

20200908_151310.jpg

Last edited:
@cruiseroutfit any modifications to the 8 speed? Mr. T confident it can handle the power in race conditions?

I enjoy and have watched all the XOverland videos! I do like when it was more vehicle focused in the earlier days but the show offers a lot. The S America trip is something I would like to mimic in the future!

@cruiseroutfit any modifications to the 8 speed? Mr. T confident it can handle the power in race conditions?

No mods to the trans. The Rebel is a Rally Race, so it's far more driver/co-driver skill based (and Rachelle and Taylor are returning champs, the won in the GX last year) so it's not nearly the same mechanical demand as say the Baja 1000 that we are quite familiar with on the Canguro 201. They stopped by this week on their way to the Rally. I had a chance to look over a few last minute things on the J201 and we sent them with some of our race spares just in case.

87307.jpeg.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to share the additional insight!

If you don't mind me picking your brains some more. What else does the fueling system compose of? Injectors? Anything else?

Even with Toyota USA support, it's interesting that the technical solution would be a Unichip piggyback. IIRC, the Tundra's have the benefit of factory calibrations that can be flashed. Even with essentially the same motor, bringing the calibration to the 200-series ECU is non-trivial so I can understand.

It’s possible if toyota got involved with factory tuning they could be breaking some of their own rules. Plus potential legality questions with regard to emissions and such. I won’t pretend to know all of their concerns but with how conservative they are I can easily seem them saying that is someone else’s responsibility.

What we need is something akin to the Kazakh gentleman that found an ex-Soviet aerospace engineer to help him remove the unneeded parts of a Mercedes common rail ECU so he could put an OM648 into his 80-series.

I’m also very interested in other details on the tuning adjustments.

Any insight into whether the ladder will be 08-20 compatible? And is Icon going to start selling their UCA with Lx tabs?

awesome job- looks like a ton of fun to build!

I can shed all sorts of light :D

Disclaimer. I am part of the team @ XOverland and we worked with Lexus USA directly on this build from early brainstorming to final touches. As such you'll see a lot of the "regular XO faces" in the build components, same quality stuff we've used on the XO vehicle builds over the years.

Disclaimer 2. We did most of the build at my shop (Cruiser Outfitters). CBI handled the bumpers, slides, skids and rack. Our plate included the ARB Air Lockers, Nitro Gears, Suspension, Wheels/Tires, Lights, Winch, Compressor w/Slee Bracket, installed the Goose Gear Drawers, Airtec Snorkel, a light electrical package using the ARB Linx for all the controls (and an OEM Toyota Front/Rear Locker Switch for redundancy), Magnuson Supercharger, Stoptech Brakes, etc. Lots of fun projects to get it race prepped and furthermore ready to go on tour with Lexus. We've been fortunate to work with Toyota & Lexus on many media and vehicle projects over the years via XO, Cruiser Outfitters and a 4x4 Logistics business I'm involved with, providing media event logistics such as the Land Cruiser Heritage launch, etc. Many irons in the fire but I enjoy the work :D

I'll post some photos and details of the project and some of the workarounds we found for different aspects when I get a minute to catch my breath!

View attachment 2459697

Ah! So I didn’t brain cramp when I said Cruiser Outfitters after all. :)

Any insight into whether the ladder will be 08-20 compatible? And is Icon going to start selling their UCA with Lx tabs?

awesome job- looks like a ton of fun to build!

I'm not sure on the ladder, that was a first prototype. I can take a look after the Rally.

We added the AHC tabs (with additional adjustment) at my shop. I have been chatting with including them for LX/LC AHC owners.

Who is your buddy?

Make no mistake XOverland is a business, a business that employees a half dozen full-time staff and many part-timers (myself for example). The early seasons were not financially viable, Clay and Rachelle actually borrowed money to make them happen believing bigger/better things were going to happen in the future... and they have. Sponsors have little/no budget in showcasing old product, zero budget for old vehicle models, etc. While the earlier days (even my early trips with them) were simpler, they were not viable long-term and the goal was always to grow. I wouldn't say we have ever been universally liked and successful, some love it, some don't and I get that. The show is seeing more views than ever and that is the end goal (entertainment) so by that metric I consider it successful. Again, it's not for everyone. For those that watch and enjoy, thank you! For those that have watched and don't love it or have moved on due to show changes, thank you too, I appreciate you checking it out in any form. Personally it's been an amazing experience and I hope to continue being part of the production in one form or another.

As for sponsors. I work with many of the productions sponsors both with XO and outside of XO. Many are dear friends that we spend a great deal of time with outside of the show fwiw. Paul from Equipt, the Maxtrax crew, Patriot family, Dave @ AEV, etc... all personal friends fwiw. It's definitely not all lollipops, sponsorship relationships are two-way and they certainly have the right and do demand returns on their investment in terms of marketing, exposure, feedback, etc.

Too big for our britches? Do tell what you mean there?

Everyone has a different take on how to grow an idea/pursuit/business, who's to say who is right or wrong? There's always two sides to every story and multiple versions and half truths of both scattered in between. I am not here to get into a "he said, she said" pissing match or smear anyone. I think they've done some good for the industry/movement/hobby as a whole and in a way are largely responsible for the growth that "overlanding" has seen in the past 5-7 years due to their platform and it's reach. I am not trashing them, I simply have a different perspective and that's ok. Like many who have voiced their opinions well before myself, I appreciated their earlier work before the larger sponsorships played a roll in the production, that's a fair assessment.

I have no skin in the game here therefor my views have little to no bias, whereas it's virtually impossible for those involved not to have one, no matter how big or small they might be. The stressors and responsibilities on that side certainly play a role in how the production is molded and the viewer/consumer will never be able to fully understand, appreciate or relate to that, that's a given. As a whole I find the current production to be far less appetizing, it's as simple as that. That said, I still go back and watch some of the earlier stuff from time to time. The continued benefit here is the growth of the industry via products, awareness, conservation and the inspiration they provide to new comers (and old) to pursue adventure travel themselves. That alone makes what they do worthwhile, regardless of how appealing or entertaining the product might be. It's like you said, you can't please everyone. Remember, opinions are like a$$holes....... so take mine with a grain of salt.

We used the Airtec (TJM) on this particular build. Mostly because it has a noticably stealthier upper body that attracted our Lexus team members. It also took a great deal of mods to the snorkel body, SAIS system, intake tube, etc to fit BUT not something I wouldn't do again. @bryson and I installed this one and were both quite tickled with the results overall. It fits as good as many Safari, Airtec, OEM snorkel applications. A close eye when at the vehicle will reveal the tweeking we had to do on the snorkel body but again, it turned out great imo.

View attachment 2459741
@cruiseroutfit Curt, thanks for the reply. I’ll call the shop and get an Airtec ordered!
On the re-gear, do you think there is real benefit - say for a rig like mine (8sp trans) that is on 34s and pushing 8k gvw? Towing another 3k and drinking fuel as fast as the LRA pump can transfer it from the AUX to the main 😂 ? I might order those too if y’all have or can get stock?

What’s the real benefit of the UCAs and LCAs with the AHC? Thanks!!

Good find!

Some things that stand out to me. That front bumper is heavy - listed at 160lbs. Could be that's the shipping weight. Hopefully it's under 100lbs?

The side step design
- Aluminum! That's pretty cool. Wonder how robust it will be and if they can actually act as sliders.
- The design seems a bit overwrought which is great for the J201 design study. Interesting that they're bringing it to market as is. I've found the lines a bit weird in that they don't align to the factory siding cuts. Sure seems like they can align the end grills better to the stock step end flares?
1602706924591.png

Looks like CBI released some of the stuff:

Front bumper:

Sliders: LX570 Rock Sliders | 2019-2020 - CBI Offroad Fab

The sliders are cheaper than slee and metaltech but not sure if they cover the ahc components and I’m gonna say it they’re ugly.
Good to have more choices. Not even 12 mths ago there were zero available sliders - and now there are three!

Also the custom skids look to be non weight bearing on the transfer case, which is good to have more options for that available.

Got a better pic of the slider attachments on the skids page. They look to be just reusing the stock attachment points. It's hard to confirm without the shields removed, but it is less than ideal from what I can see.

The design looks nice to my eye, but agree that the side skirt existing start/stop and shape could be integrated better.

Also, on sliders, kickers work. The lack of one has me wondering how functional these are really meant to be.

Looks like CBI released some of the stuff:

Front bumper:

Sliders: LX570 Rock Sliders | 2019-2020 - CBI Offroad Fab

The sliders are cheaper than slee and metaltech but not sure if they cover the ahc components and I’m gonna say it they’re ugly.
God damn I want that front bar..

Unfortunately it'll cost double that to get it landed here in Aus I'm guessing.. Eric quoted me up the Heritage wheels and once shipping was factored in it was just outrageoussadly :(

Day #5 of the J201 participation in the Rebelle Rally. They're running strong, currently #2 in the standings and still in the running.

Interesting day for them today. Had a flat. Low fuel. Not surprising that the vehicle is thirsty given the overall weight of the build, 4.3s (on an 8-speed!? w/ 33s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom