LX J201 Concept (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A supercharger. Gotta see it to believe it.

Super chargers have been out and available for quite some time for LCs. That’s why someone asked which one they used.

Perhaps I missed it but it’s rarely talked about. From what I understand, the ecu on the LC/LX are locked. Blower for 5.7 is intended for the tundra from what I understand. I have yet seen any post on successfully blown 200. I question this “concept vehicle” because non of the photograph nor the videos had a shot of the engine bay. All the post I have seen that had popped on this forum regarding supercharger seemed to die off when it comes to tune and the locked ecu.

XO is using a vehicle for a race that emphasizes navigational/off-road skills and a reliable vehicle. A piggy backed ecu with a blower seems to be the exact opposite of what they need or would want. That’s why I question the blower or supercharger claims. Perhaps Kurt from XO who frequents this forum could shed some light.

Super chargers have been out and available for quite some time for LCs. That’s why someone asked which one they used.

Perhaps I missed it but it’s rarely talked about. From what I understand, the ecu on the LC/LX are locked. Blower for 5.7 is intended for the tundra from what I understand. I have yet seen any post on successfully blown 200. I question this “concept vehicle” because non of the photograph nor the videos had a shot of the engine bay. All the post I have seen that had popped on this forum regarding supercharger seemed to die off when it comes to tune and the locked ecu.

XO is using a vehicle for a race that emphasizes navigational/off-road skills and a reliable vehicle. A piggy backed ecu with a blower seems to be the exact opposite of what they need or would want. That’s why I question the blower or supercharger claims. Perhaps Kurt from XO who frequents this forum could shed some light.
Harrop have done it just fine

I tried to install a Harrop. Multiple fitment issues (cooler didn't fit, then sent us the wrong replacement, then suggested a replacement with 50% capacity..) and very slow response, and overall poor service. I decided that I did not want their product in my rig, or trust their warranty... I have yet to see an LX with a completed install, tuned or otherwise (though I haven't really been keeping track).

I tried to install a Harrop. Multiple fitment issues (cooler didn't fit, then sent us the wrong replacement, then suggested a replacement with 50% capacity..) and very slow response, and overall poor service. I decided that I did not want their product in my rig, or trust their warranty... I have yet to see an LX with a completed install, tuned or otherwise (though I haven't really been keeping track).
Interesting, their gear has a pretty solid reputation here in Australia

I didn’t mean to imply that many folks are doing it. I personally think it’s not particularly wise anyway, as I value longevity... But they are out there in the wild for better or for worse.

Harrop have done it just fine

I posted the same time you posted this
Interesting, their gear has a pretty solid reputation here in Australia
I posted the same time you were posting... I looked the date of that youtube video - its the same time I was dealing with my install. The issue is that they had not done a US spec install, and sold this saying it would be a bolt on fit. As far as I know, they still haven't done a US spec install, based on their product offering on their website. And, the price has doubled, or gone up 50%, deepening upon which kit you compare it to. As of 06/19/2019 Heath Moore (General Manager) acknowledged that they had not done a US install. (Nor had they checked the parts catalog and seen the different radiator supports etc).

I posted the same time you posted this

I posted the same time you were posting... I looked the date of that youtube video - its the same time I was dealing with my install. The issue is that they had not done a US spec install, and sold this saying it would be a bolt on fit. As far as I know, they still haven't done a US spec install, based on their product offering on their website. And, the price has doubled, or gone up 50%, deepening upon which kit you compare it to. As of 06/19/2019 Heath Moore (General Manager) acknowledged that they had not done a US install. (Nor had they checked the parts catalog and seen the different radiator supports etc).

That's a shame, given the size of your market it would make sense for them to pull their finger out and rectify it properly.

Interesting suspension setup they have on the J201. Glad to see they've largely kept AHC intact. Looks like they've paired Icon Front UCA and Rear Lower Trailing arms. Those parts don't really do much other than add some caster back to the front alignment. Added OEM suspension spacers to augment payload capacity. And given it a healthy +2" front and +1" rear sensor adjustment. Not unlike what I've done with mine.

The lift is prodigious on account of the sensor adjustment. Pairing that with 33s, makes for some serious lift. Imagine if they added 35s...they certainly have the gearing for it with 4.3s on the 8-speed. With 33s, that's almost 6" total lift. Add 35s, 7".

1602138270790.png

I’m not sure about the US spec, but you can tune the stock ECU in the GCC spec LCs and LXs.

This shop specializes in tuning them.

I like some attributes of this build. Tastefully built. Like others have said, why now at the end of the platforms lifecycle. Out with a bang! Crazy how far XO has come. That being said I kinda miss the XO of old. I get and respect what they’re doing and all. Don’t get me wrong. But it’s just unattainable for most. And it’s kinda become too much. The accumulation of so much between the rigs, campers, trailers etc . But that’s what they do. I just miss the simplicity of what it used to be. Hope this doesn’t come across the wrong way. Anyway this truck looks the part. Cheers.

I like some attributes of this build. Tastefully built. Like others have said, why now at the end of the platforms lifecycle. Out with a bang! Crazy how far XO has come. That being said I kinda miss the XO of old. I get and respect what they’re doing and all. Don’t get me wrong. But it’s just unattainable for most. And it’s kinda become too much. The accumulation of so much between the rigs, campers, trailers etc . But that’s what they do. I just miss the simplicity of what it used to be. Hope this doesn’t come across the wrong way. Anyway this truck looks the part. Cheers.

I think most agree with your sentiments. The recipe and people that made them universally liked and successful are so far in the rear view mirror that it's not even funny. I have a buddy who knows them personally and professionally and he has some interesting insights about their business dealings and how a lot of these sponsorships work and are prospered. It's not all lollipops and unicorn farts like they make it appear. I appreciate what they do but I had a lot more interest in it all before they got too big for their britches.

I ask the same question what tuning method is used. Seem like using TVS1900 supercharged the LC/LX 3UR-FE still a myth. I'm not aware the OEM ECU being cracked. I know you can use piggy back tuning method, but it has it's flaw.

It does seem as of late, there's viable tuning options, including flash options to support the Magnuson S/C. Which was the same core to the factory TRD S/C kit when it was available to the Tundra and Sequoia.

No one on this forum at least has been able to successfully navigate and share the integration. Looks like the XO team was able to find the right vendors to do it. I would invite XOverland or Clay to share here as those that really want such a thing could benefit. Endless tire threads are only so interesting.

I posted this elsewhere

The hardware exists and is proven.

It's the software, tuning, that is the unknown at the moment. This can make or break ones experience with any forced induction, and will be the deciding variable for long term durability.

It does seem like products are trickling out. I would focus less on the specific hardware, and more on the quality of the tune.

I can shed all sorts of light :D

Disclaimer. I am part of the team @ XOverland and we worked with Lexus USA directly on this build from early brainstorming to final touches. As such you'll see a lot of the "regular XO faces" in the build components, same quality stuff we've used on the XO vehicle builds over the years.

Disclaimer 2. We did most of the build at my shop (Cruiser Outfitters). CBI handled the bumpers, slides, skids and rack. Our plate included the ARB Air Lockers, Nitro Gears, Suspension, Wheels/Tires, Lights, Winch, Compressor w/Slee Bracket, installed the Goose Gear Drawers, Airtec Snorkel, a light electrical package using the ARB Linx for all the controls (and an OEM Toyota Front/Rear Locker Switch for redundancy), Magnuson Supercharger, Stoptech Brakes, etc. Lots of fun projects to get it race prepped and furthermore ready to go on tour with Lexus. We've been fortunate to work with Toyota & Lexus on many media and vehicle projects over the years via XO, Cruiser Outfitters and a 4x4 Logistics business I'm involved with, providing media event logistics such as the Land Cruiser Heritage launch, etc. Many irons in the fire but I enjoy the work :D

I'll post some photos and details of the project and some of the workarounds we found for different aspects when I get a minute to catch my breath!

20200918_180138.jpg

Last edited:
I can shed all sorts of light :D

Disclaimer. I am part of the team @ XOverland and we worked with Lexus USA directly on this build from early brainstorming to final touches. As such you'll see a lot of the "regular XO faces" in the build components, same quality stuff we've used on the XO vehicle builds over the years.

Disclaimer 2. We did most of the build at my shop (Cruiser Outfitters). CBI handled the bumpers, slides, skids and rack. Our plate included the ARB Air Lockers, Nitro Gears, Suspension, Wheels/Tires, Lights, Winch, Compressor w/Slee Bracket, installed the Goose Gear Drawers, Airtec Snorkel, a light electrical package using the ARB Linx for all the controls (and an OEM Toyota Front/Rear Locker Switch for redundancy), Magnuson Supercharger, Stoptech Brakes, etc. Lots of fun projects to get it race prepped and furthermore ready to go on tour with Lexus. We've been fortunate to work with Toyota & Lexus on many media and vehicle projects over the years via XO, Cruiser Outfitters and a 4x4 Logistics business I'm involved with, providing media event logistics such as the Land Cruiser Heritage launch, etc. Many irons in the fire but I enjoy the work :D

I'll post some photos and details of the project and some of the workarounds we found for different aspects when I get a minute to catch my breath!
Kurt,
I'm sure we'd all love to learn more about this vehicle. Looking forward to your updates.

I think most agree with your sentiments. The recipe and people that made them universally liked and successful are so far in the rear view mirror that it's not even funny. I have a buddy who knows them personally and professionally and he has some interesting insights about their business dealings and how a lot of these sponsorships work and are prospered. It's not all lollipops and unicorn farts like they make it appear. I appreciate what they do but I had a lot more interest in it all before they got too big for their britches.

Who is your buddy?

Make no mistake XOverland is a business, a business that employees a half dozen full-time staff and many part-timers (myself for example). The early seasons were not financially viable, Clay and Rachelle actually borrowed money to make them happen believing bigger/better things were going to happen in the future... and they have. Sponsors have little/no budget in showcasing old product, zero budget for old vehicle models, etc. While the earlier days (even my early trips with them) were simpler, they were not viable long-term and the goal was always to grow. I wouldn't say we have ever been universally liked and successful, some love it, some don't and I get that. The show is seeing more views than ever and that is the end goal (entertainment) so by that metric I consider it successful. Again, it's not for everyone. For those that watch and enjoy, thank you! For those that have watched and don't love it or have moved on due to show changes, thank you too, I appreciate you checking it out in any form. Personally it's been an amazing experience and I hope to continue being part of the production in one form or another.

As for sponsors. I work with many of the productions sponsors both with XO and outside of XO. Many are dear friends that we spend a great deal of time with outside of the show fwiw. Paul from Equipt, the Maxtrax crew, Patriot family, Dave @ AEV, etc... all personal friends fwiw. It's definitely not all lollipops, sponsorship relationships are two-way and they certainly have the right and do demand returns on their investment in terms of marketing, exposure, feedback, etc.

Too big for our britches? Do tell what you mean there?

Last edited:
I ask the same question what tuning method is used. Seem like using TVS1900 supercharged the LC/LX 3UR-FE still a myth. I'm not aware the OEM ECU being cracked. I know you can use piggy back tuning method, but it has it's flaw.

Unichip with tuning help from friends at Toyota USA that have installed them on the 200's including one of my Canguro teammates 200 fwiw. It does have it's flaws but is workable until someone cracks the LC/LX specific system.

@cruiseroutfit we talked before about me buying an Airmax snorkel and trying to make it work on my LX. Nobody had done it at the time and you were (rightfully) hesitant to recommend (to an end user/consumer) attempting to make it work.
What are your thoughts now? I have a great shop and I’d love to hear you say, “go for it, buy the ‘x’ snorkel and you can make it work,” and I’ll grab one from you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom