Lucille (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G'day Ukaviator, Nice truck man. Are the rims Mickey Thompson? They look really good. Cheers, Ben

Thanks for the kind words sir, she's getting there.

The rims are 15" American Racing Mojaves sitting on BFG MT 33x10.50x15 tires

The OME suspension is all in and Im really happy with how everything turned out.

Would love to tell you what I think the ride is like compared to the old shocks and springs but after rolling it out my garage I'm now having what I think is a distributor issue

Anyway here are some before and after pics

BEFORE:
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

AFTER:

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Couple more

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

lift2.jpg

^^LOL^^
it aint no 1/2 ton Ford but he sure loves to drive!

Wow so I can't believe its been well over a year since Ive updated this thread.

So much has happened.
As many of you know a few of us local cruiser heads here in Nashville, along with Mike @76 FJ40 in Alabama set off for the Relic Run last year.
That was an absolute blast. If you havent checked out that adventure, here are some great pics:

Not wanting to trailer our junk, we spent weeks getting the trucks ready for the longest road trip they had done (1000 miles round trip in total), and I think we carried enough spare parts to build a complete truck!
Of course being Toyota, they ticked along just fine and we made it there and back, and wheeled with no problems.

I blew a fuse to the rear tail lights about 40 miles from our destination, and did a tire in on the trail. Yes 35's are in my future -- stay tuned!
Joel had a little trailer electrical gremlin but all in all the rigs did pretty good.

So before I left, I got with my good buddy Kevin and we did a compression test on the 45. I know 2F's aren't race car engines, but she felt sluggish. Well, all was ok except cylinder #1 which was showing 90psi.
Ran a little Marvel Mystery oil in it on the trip, along with some Engine Restore and nothing changed.
After doing a leak down test I determined I had a bad exhaust valve.

Now as many of you know I have diesel fever! After owning a 1HDFT in my old 80, i'd really like to either put a 1HDT or 12HT in. However, prices are up there, they rarely show up in the classifieds and getting one from a reputable seller is difficult. I suppose anything is possible with a big enough check book.
So with this in mind I've debated about what to do for months.

So I get a call from Kevin telling me he sold his old 2F and has a set of headers off it he would trade for my manifold. I guess that was the nudge I needed to do a top end rebuild and refresh with the thinking i'll do the "minimum" to get me back on the road until my beloved diesel shows up somewhere. Famous last words

Don't go anywhere this is about to get deep ...

A little Kroil here, a little there ..

I sent the head off to a place called Knights Machine Shop in Madison. Great guys, very helpful if anyone is looking for engine work.

A few days later I'm swinging by with some parts and the news is not good.
2 cracks at cylinder #4. One in the seat, the other in the block 😕

Debating where to go from here, I put out a wanted thread here on mud looking for the same casting numbered head and low and behold a guy from Alabama contacts me saying he has one. Cant attest to its condition, but says in came out of a running and driving vehicle when a guy opted to to a Chevy v8 swap.
He's looking for $100. Figured it was worth the gamble.

Take 2 ... send it off to Knights, and .... more bad news. 2 cracks this time, head is in worse shape than the 1st one :bang:

So now what?

Debating at this point if I want to continue down this road.
We discover the block has also been over bored at some point, and given the vehicles past, I'm questioning whether or not the block isn't a basket case also.

The saga continues ...

So we are 2 heads into this "build" so far and gaining zero traction ... not the best start to say the least!

Along comes Kevin to the rescue! He has a low mileage engine formally owned by GA Architect
Check out his thread when you get a chance. I like to think i have good attention to detail, but this guy puts us all to shame! (Well except for Mike maybe ;))

The engine is all there less the accessories. I figure I can take 2 engines and make 1 good one -- at least this is the plan!

We whip the head off and its back to Knights Machine shop for round 3!

3rd times a charm, she's a go! (said in my best Australian 4WD Action accent! ) :hillbilly:

Magnafluxed, exhaust valves reground, new seals, and while it was there I had them mill the head 0.40" so as to increase the compression for hopefully a little more power.

Time to get the rest of it in my garage ...

Now while all this has been going on, Kevin is undertaking an engine swap of the coal burning variety! A 3B diesel swap into his 40.

Here is his thread, check it out

I have a tendency to get carried away sometimes, and have to reign myself in, but with 2 simultaneous engine swaps happening it only makes sense to pick up a few new tools for these projects :grinpimp:

Now I'm not much of a Facebooker but I've recently discovered "The Marketplace" (yes I'm old and behind the times)
I picked up a brand new powder coat gun and a box of accessories to go with it from a guy 1hr 1/2 away for cheap.
Ive also been looking for a sandblasting cabinet for a while with no joy. Ive read some great reviews on the Barrel Blaster in other enthusiast forums. Called the number down in Texas, and the owner picked up. Super helpful, family run company, made in the USA and a good price. What more can you ask for.

Really well made product, instructions all in legible English, had it together in about 30 mins.

MURICA!

Put my son to work building a stand for it to sit on with wheels so I can easily move it around my 2 car garage.

Then we set about tearing down parts off Lucille ...

I don't have a parts washer (yet), and wanting to get stuck into it I have 2 plastic containers setup. 1 full of purple power, the other full of evaporust.

Starting scrubbing, soaking, sandblasting, prepping and then powder coating.

Its a really rewarding process giving old parts that have served us well for the past 4 decades a new lease on life.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves ...

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Some 3B parts for Kev after sandblasting waiting to go in for powder coat ...

After ..

More ... just cause we all love pics!

Misc parts

It looks like Oliver is having some fun! I'm glad you have a crew chief to watch over you!!! :slap:

A little history on the engine from what we know. Its a 1977 that was pulled out of an FJ40 with 89k on the clock. At the time it was pulled its previous owner said the compression numbers were 120 across all 6 cylinders.
My plan is to tear down the engine and install a new set of piston rings, all new seals and gaskets, clean it, paint it, and slap the H55 I have sitting on the garage floor behind it.

Once the engine is out of Lucille, I'm going to clean up the frame and POR15 it, address the vague steering, and tidy up the wiring.

I can't decide if I want to paint the engine bay the factory color, or do a Lizard Skin coating.
They both have their advantages. I do like the idea of the heat and noise shield properties the lizard skin provides.

What do you guys think?

Anyway, cleaned all the carbon deposits off the top of the pistons, pulled the timing cover off, removed the crankshaft, took the side over off, removed the lifters. Flipped it over and removed the oil pan and thats where we stopped until more parts arrive

View attachment 1905687

Today was engine tear down day.

Was hoping to open her up, pull the pistons, hone the cylinders, install new rings and put it all back together ..... but .... as we all know when you open pandoras box things can get ugly

Burn marks on Piston #5. Cylinder walls seem ok though

Then I discovered that one of the main bearings the crankshaft rides on to be bad. But again the crank itself "seems" to be ok

Decided that seeing as this was the case and they needed to be replaced anyway, Ive dropped it off with the machine shop to be checked for spec, new bearings and then hot tanked.

I really hope this engine isn't toast :rolleyes:

Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Hopefully a nice polish is all she needs.

I just did the Lizard Skin in the engine bay on my FJ55 during a motor swap then I repainted it the body color.

I’m not running quite yet but the hand thump on the fenders and hood test is like night and
Day

Warthog v 4.4 thread in the 40/55 section

55597A4F-4EA2-4487-B4A6-57518578A7D5.jpeg

Looking good @wngrog

I like the way that turned out 👌

Its been a while since i updated this thread. Been making some steady progress but slacking on the updates

Good news, the engine came back all within spec and the pistons were cleaned and blasted, so re assembly has begun

Started off with a little VHT engine paint, then new cam bearings, Toyota OEM piston rings, cam and crankshaft

I also drilled, tapped and inserted a plug into the oil galley plug. Added a little red Loctite for peace of mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom