Lucille (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought it was time I started a thread over here.

1st ill admit it, I have a problem!

My landcruiser force has grown strong over the years. I started over a decade ago with an FJ60 with an H55 and 3B diesel, followed by a 1994 80 series that I had converted to a 1HDFT diesel, to a brief stint in a Tacoma, followed by my current daily a 2005 100 series.

A good friend friend of mine Joel here in Nashville owned a FJ45 short bed many years ago and it was love at first sight!

Ive been on the lookout for one ever since, but watching the prices climb over the years I ruled out the chances of ever owning one.

So back in February of this year a 1982 dune beige long bed for sale by our notorious member Brian @whitey45 came up for sale and I couldnt resist.

Spoke with the Brian on the phone, fantastic guy to work with ... and before long we were west bound!

This one was originally imported from the middle east to Tennessee of all places, so it seems fitting she returns home.

My good friend Joel @Tennessee80 came with me. It was great having Joel there as another set of eyes. We both liked what we saw and did the deal.
Joel and I got to hang out at Fishermans Wharf that night eating seafood, drinking beer and talking shop, it was brilliant! What a day!

We airlined back the following day and a transport truck showed up at my house just 5 days later.

She needs some love here and there, but overall for a 35 year old truck its solid with very little rust in running and driving condition. The 2F seems strong and purrs like a kitten

Aside from the factory power steering its completely bare bones - no heat, no A/C, no radio, no seat belts and I love it!

Here are a few pictures ...

IMG_0785.JPG

fj2.jpg

My 8 year old jumped in it as soon as it rolled off the transporter!
IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

1st tank of ethanol free gas! Drove it about 70 miles the first day I had it, such fun!

IMG_0791.JPG

Oh yes you may be wondering where the name Lucille comes from .... well for those of you that don't watch a series on AMC called "The Walking Dead", Lucille is the iconic barbed wire baseball bat that the villain in the show "Negan" wields to not only intimidate others, but eliminate them as well. Seeing as this truck has caused me pain (both in the wallet and physically from working on it) my wife aptly named the truck!

So I introduce to you .... Lucille

After fixing a leaking trans seal I decided to look into the brakes as she was pulling to the right when braking. Pulled off the front wheels only to discover it has 4 wheel drum brakes :confused:

I decided to pull off the front drums to see what was going on, and thats when I really opened pandoras box!

Got the idea in my head to do a front disc swap so set about looking for a conversion kit. Ordered one from JT outfitters but after messing around with it and talking to Bobby at TPI as well as other cruiser heads we agreed this wasn't the route to go.

I found an FJ45 front disc axle and then spent the next month doing a complete tear down and rebuild. Hit a few obstacles along the way (like discovering my truck has 4.11s and the donor axle 3.73 amongst other things) but Im happy to say this was a worth while upgrade. I swear it stops better now than my hundy!

Here are some pics ...

You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I brought this home! :rofl:

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

Few more ...

Before ...
IMG_1022.JPG

After ...
IMG_1090.JPG

DONE!
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

Very nice work! We definitely need to arrange a play date for Sampson and Lucille.

She is a very nice looking rig! Any plans for a heater and or AC?

Very nice work! We definitely need to arrange a play date for Sampson and Lucille.

She is a very nice looking rig! Any plans for a heater and or AC?

Thanks Mike! Sounds like a plan to me!

I have a list as long as my arm of the things I'd like to do ... Heat and AC is up there especially with this brutal heat you and I experience in this part of the country! Problem is I don't know exactly what direction to take with Lucille.
After seeing your rig and missing the sweet sound of that diesel, I'm really thinking about following in your footsteps with the 12HT!
Been talking to Roma some about initially going with an H55 as my trans is popping out of 1st gear and leaking. Instead of rebuilding it, swapping it out for the H55 makes sense then make a decision from there.

Either way I need to make a trip down to you with a shopping cart and some benjamins!

So after owning this truck for 6 months and tinkering with it, I've come to the conclusion that the Saudi's havent ever heard of an electrical connector! The wiring is this truck is, well, atrocious!
Wires are twisted together and if your lucky ... they have put electrical tape over it. Im one rain shower away from shorting out the entire truck!!

So I've been slowly working my way through the electrics, piece by piece

Had an issue with the taillights intermittently working. After pulling them out this sent my OCD into instant twitch mode ...

oldwiring2.JPG

oldwiring1.JPG

Fixed.
newwiring1.jpg

newwiring2.jpg

Last edited:
Over the last couple of months Ive been working with Jason over at Trail Tailor to design a one off custom bumper for Lucille.

I wanted something with clean lines that would be functional as well as offer up some rear protection. I think Jason nailed it.
Few things to do to the frame before I mock it up. Need to make a spot for the license plate and plate light, clean up the frame and put a few coats of POR15 on it, ensure the fit is where I want it then it will be off to powdercoat.

bumper1.jpg

Broke out the welder and decided to fab up a spare tire carrier.

Pretty happy with the way it came out. Definitely better than it rolling around in the back of the bed waiting to get stolen!

Let me just say, the only reason I even considered drilling into the bed is because a previous owner welded diamond plate in there :frown:

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Got some wrenching done on the 45.

When I dropped the axle on the front, the shackles were so stiff I was amazed she flexed at all! The front steering stabilizer was shot, one of the bolts on the front shock was on so tight I bent the shock trying to get it off.

I also wanted to improve the handling and give the 33’s a little more clearance so decided it was time to overhaul the suspension

OME Steering stabilizer added, front springs and shocks on.

OME.jpg

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

View attachment 1525799

IMG_2102.JPG

Last edited:
Removed a leaf from the rear packs to obtain more of a medium duty spring rate

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

New vs old
IMG_2220.JPG

Do you think these needed replacing?! Oh if this truck could talk ....

IMG_2221.JPG

Getting close to wrapping up this lift. Came across a few obstacles ...

On the passenger rear fixed shackle, the bolt that locates the hangar pin was sheared off some time in the trucks history.

IMG_2225.JPG

Spent about 45 minutes trying to drill out the old bolt and re-tap a new hole with my trusty harbor freight tap and die set before I broke down and picked up one of these combo drill and tap bits from Dewalt for $9.
Got to say these drill bits are brilliant. 10 seconds after loading it into my impact I had the hole tapped for a fresh grade 8 bolt.

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

Next issue: Somehow i managed to loose a shock cup washer for one of the rear shocks so set about making my own using a 1" socket and a bit of pipe I had laying around. Havent finished it yet but looks like it will do the trick until i can get a new one

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

Last issue is now i need a longer flexible brake line that goes from the rear axle to the frame.

Headed over to Nashville Rubber and Gasket tomorrow. Spoke with a guy on the phone apparently they can make you a custom length while you wait. Going with a 23" line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom