Low but smooth idle when warm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don't hate me I looked through tons of low idle threads!

So my 154k mile 97 fzj80 starts up cold idles a little high and eventually drops down to the normal 600ish mark

But after driving for a while like on the freeway, i come to a stop and the idle is more like 450-500. However, it doesn't stumble or anything. Still pretty smooth.

I recently replaced the big intake tube, dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pcv and hose and the other big vacuum hose. Also cleaned the MAF. The throttle body looked really clean as well.

Is this normal? Anything else I should check?

For reference, what is your timing set at?

For reference, what is your timing set at?

As far as i know, bone stock. Bought it from a guy recently who didn't seem the type to change his timing haha

This is my first car with a distributor so not totally sure how to tell

Sounds kind of like mine. But i am not saying that it is right or wrong. If mine is nice and warm after a long drive it will idle about 500 at a stop light or something. If i put it into park the rpm does pick up to around 600-650. I dont know if that is normal or correct. just what mine does.

Did you disconnect the battery?

EDIT:

Never mind, It's a 97.

It's not bad do you have the factory service manual for your year? If not its in one of the stickies in this forum section. The FSM will give you step by step instructions on how to get to, check and service the IAC.

How are you checking rpm?
My needle on the stock gauge will sometimes drop low (400-500) at idle but remains at the proper rpm while being checked with Torque Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom