Builds Louie - 1973 FJ40 - A OEM work in Progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carburetor Tune completed. Truck is now idling at ~650 rpm. I will run it this way for a while and see if the rich smell during running is better. All the vacuum lines seem loose on the small connections. I will order and replace all of the vacuum lines over the next couple of weeks. Vacuum gauge connected directly to the exhaust manifold (i.e. bypassing all of the emissions equipment) Needle was steady at 15 in Hg. Calgary elevation is 3400 ft above sea level.

I need to review the smog FSM manual to figure out where to connect the gauge. Truck is stock will all smog equipment in place.

IMG_4145.jpg

Upgraded the apple air tag mount in Louie. Lots of 3d print options on the intertubes. I picked this one which allows me to remove the airtag for battery replacement without cutting zip ties.

Air Tag Mount.jpg

Added more signs to the workshop wall. I found a local guy that creates the Toyota signs and I asked if he could also create the Authorized Parts and Service sign. Here are the results.

1698602403839.png

Installed the City Racer Vader light with the OEM switch and I purchased last fall. I still need to complete the wiring.

IMG_4987.jpg

Finally got around to printing the wiper cover in black. Designed the early version this summer. There is a small lip on the cover that connects to the contact plate. I need to design and print the one with the mounting holes. The prototype stayed in place all summer however, I would say that it was really not heat tested. It wasn't a really warm summer here. I would considering selling them, if there is enough interest.

1699933689259.png

1699933722690.png

Started the process of changing the color of these door latches. The dark grey doesn't match the silver for the other panels on the door. Working inside because it -35 Deg C (-31 F).
1705508891529.png

FYI

Just purchased this fire extinguisher for Louie. I think it is a way better option than a conventional powder one. Small and significantly longer run time and bonus, it does not expire.

1705509227519.png

Last edited:
In the US, it would have to be approved by Underwriters Laboratory which it isn't as of what I can find. It also means that it is not approved by the FAA or for sale or use in many states, even though it is approved apparently in Canada and many Euopean countries.

In the US, it would have to be approved by Underwriters Laboratory which it isn't as of what I can find. It also means that it is not approved by the FAA or for sale or use in many states, even though it is approved apparently in Canada and many Euopean countries.
You are right certification is an issue. It is not CSA approved for Canada. I looked at these to use as replacements in company vehicles but without the proper approvals it was not possible to use. There is a US website that sells these in the states. Here is the current information on approvals from their website. Regardless of the certifications, I think it is a good option for personal vehicles where it is not regulated requirement.

1705520442152.png

You are right certification is an issue. It is not CSA approved for Canada. I looked at these to use as replacements in company vehicles but without the proper approvals it was not possible to use. There is a US website that sells these in the states. Here is the current information on approvals from their website. Regardless of the certifications, I think it is a good option for personal vehicles where it is not regulated requirement.

View attachment 3535404

Don't get me wrong, I like them too. I've just been waiting for them to be approved. Until then I still have a few Halon extinguishers that are no longer approved but don't need to be cleaned up after using them.

Well another 6 inches of snow today so will have wait until spring comes again. In the meantime continued to install winter parts purchases.

Replaced the interior door handles with a set of SOR handles. A bit of process to do the replacement. Wanted to replace them because the inside handles were really loose and the plastic handle was either missing or cracked. During the replacement, realized the outside door handle was also loose and didn't fit will in the door opening. I designed and 3d printed a grommet to deal with the fit issue. Two less rattles in the Louie now., many more to go!

Before

1712329988247.png

After

1712330034375.png

SOR handles are the wrong color so had to take them apart, sand and paint them to match my model year.
1712329944510.png

3D Print Door Handle Grommet

1712330105750.png

1712330132899.png

Here is a video of the before and after the handle replacement.

Last edited:
Well another 6 inches of snow today so will have wait until spring comes again. In the mean time continued to install winter parts purchases.

Replaced the interior door handles with a set of SOR handles. A bit of process to do the replacement. Wanted to replace them because the inside handles were really loose and the plastic handle was either missing or cracked. During the replacement, realized the outside door handle was also loose and didn't fit will in the door opening. I designed and 3d printed a grommet to deal with the fit issue. Two less rattles in the Louie now., many more to go!

Before

View attachment 3599344

After

View attachment 3599346

SOR handles are the wrong color so had to take them apart, sand and paint them to match my model year.
View attachment 3599343

3D Print Door Handle Grommet

View attachment 3599349

View attachment 3599350

Here is a video of the before and after the handle replacement.

Beautiful work. I need to do both of these projects. My inside handle is as loose as yours was and boy are they loud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom