For Sale Los Angeles CA, HZJ77 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
I unfortunately have to sell my truck. We're doing an addition to our house and the funds are needed there. Long story short, the timing belt blew and the truck needs some amount of work. I don't know exactly as I haven't fully investigated with a mechanic. As I understand, after speaking with Georg, Onur and a few other places I'm looking at anywhere between $10k and $25k for the repairs. I just don't have that money at the moment. SO, here I am.

The hook! It's a Cali registered truck. I just renewed for the year through to Sept. 2024. That's right, a RHD 1HZ with CA plates. I've seen lots of people asking about registaring a diesel truck here in CA. and heres one. About once a week someone would ask me if I was selling the truck and I should have taken numbers I just never thought I'd sell it.

I'm trying to figure out ... Do I sell the truck fixed up, ready to go? OR, let the next owner do the repairs under their own watch? I can see it both ways depending on the buyer. I'll work on getting more photos inside and out, but wanted to get this out there.

I also don't know how much to sell the truck for. When I look the price varies from BAT to Instagram. I feel ike the CA plates should give the sale a bump up in price though. Its hard parting with the truck. Attached is PDF with a list of work done to the truck. I'm going to put in here a place holder price of $36k.

** Long story (happy to get into the details and provide paperwork if someone is really interested) ** I could have sworn the timing belt was replaced when the head work was done, so when the timing belt light went on as the odometer turned 300,000 kilometers I thought it was just because of the mileage. Long story short … When the new head was installed I could have sworn the timing belt was replaced. I’m not sure it was, as it blew and now I have a cracked camshaft and maybe some bent piston heads. I recently found on here a few people selling parts for the truck as well.

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_5331.jpg

Attachments

• RHD Imported HZJ77 Landcruiser.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Beautiful truck. Love the old style front grill on it.

Sorry about the unfortunate events related to your timing belt. That is a bummer.

Fix it unless you want to deal with all the bottomfeeders offering you 5k for your cruiser . A used 1HZ isn’t that expensive and since you have the cali registration it will command a premium if it’s running and driving .

Fix it unless you want to deal with all the bottomfeeders offering you 5k for your cruiser . A used 1HZ isn’t that expensive and since you have the cali registration it will command a premium if it’s running and driving .

This....X2

I wanted to say to keep it also in my first reply. Maybe I missed it somewhere but is it a manual or auto truck?

Nice looking Rig.
It's has Calif. registration now but when it changes Ownership there's no guarantee that the Ca. DMV won't catch it and deny the new owner registration !
Best reason for you to keep it !!
Cool license plate !
Forum rules you must post a price. This is not E Bay

This....X2

I wanted to say to keep it also in my first reply. Maybe I missed it somewhere but is it a manual or auto truck?
Thanks for the input! Its an automatic. I'd love to figure out a way to keep it too.

Nice looking Rig.
It's has Calif. registration now but when it changes Ownership there's no guarantee that the Ca. DMV won't catch it and deny the new owner registration !
Cool license plate !
Hello and thank you! I didn't know the price rule, I'll update my posting.

was there an asking price for this truck?
Hello ~ I didn't orginally have a price in the listing, apologies. This started out as more or a question about selling it. ** I see, it looks like you're in the middle of a build?!

I feel like there is more to selling this truck then I can type in here. Before the timing belt went I was hoping something in the $40k area it ran nice and it has Cali plates. Now that it needs repairs, I'm not sure. I'm starting to think of sending it up to Valley Hybrids to get it fixed up then selling.

Last edited:
Nice looking Rig.
Cool license plate !
Everyone always says that a price must be posted but I've never seen that rule anywhere. Here's @woody saying the exact opposite a few years ago actually.

8DD2E846-F6A1-43E8-991A-372F2AB27089.jpeg

I stand corrected :rolleyes:

Everyone always says that a price must be posted but I've never seen that rule anywhere. Here's @woody saying the exact opposite a few years ago actually.

View attachment 3414275

Well, what are some of us going to do all day besides hassle sellers about listing prices?!

I feel so empty inside.

Want to buy a really sweet project truck? :cool:
Maybe, how much? 😂

In all seriousness, a phone call with you would likely answer all questions.

Sorry for your luck on the truck and I wish you a quick sale. 70s are a bit too much for me at this time. Need a real garage and more $ to take one on.

Maybe, how much? 😂

Maybe, how much? 😂

In all seriousness, a phone call with you would likely answer all questions.

Sorry for your luck on the truck and I wish you a quick sale. 70s are a bit too much for me at this time. Need a real garage and more $ to take one on.
I'll PM you my info. I was thinking $28k asking, in its current condition.

Wow - that is super cool, sorry for your circumstances on this!

I'd also consider this but I've had the CARB board confiscate a CA plate I had on a dual sport bike a few years ago - thankfully I didn't pay a premium for the plated bike, but 8 months after I bought it and transferred the title, I got a letter canceling the plate.

Now to lose your plate on a $25k +/- vehicle that needs between $10k - $25k in repairs (quoted from your original post above) is a bit scary - not your fault, just a weird possibility in this crazy state

Georg has done a lot of work on my 40, I'd trust him to take this on!

Wow - that is super cool, sorry for your circumstances on this!

I'd also consider this but I've had the CARB board confiscate a CA plate I had on a dual sport bike a few years ago - thankfully I didn't pay a premium for the plated bike, but 8 months after I bought it and transferred the title, I got a letter canceling the plate.

Now to lose your plate on a $25k +/- vehicle that needs between $10k - $25k in repairs (quoted from your original post above) is a bit scary - not your fault, just a weird possibility in this crazy state

Georg has done a lot of work on my 40, I'd trust him to take this on!
This is what I was talking about.
Change of ownership could get the plate pulled, I heard of this before 😉

Nice looking Rig.
Cool license plate !
apart from the price thing, the CA registration transfer is a big point people seem to often forget. Never guaranteed. Cool truck though and an awesome plate number haha

So, so tempting...................................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom