Loose Flywheel - Is there a possible way to tighten it without removing the transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After replacing all the main bearings and rod bearing because I believe there was a knock coming from the engine, I went to turn the engine by and and noticed that the flywheel was loose and was most likely the reason for the engine knock (the bearings weren't great so the change should be ok).

Is there possibly a way that I could tighten the flywheel without removing the transmission? Could I loosen the clutch from the flywheel from underneath and then tighten the flywheel bolts? Really trying to avoid having to remove the clutch and transmission to tighten 5 bolts.

Thank you for your help and experience in advance.

there is no way to gain enough clearance between the clutch and flywheel. you will need to remove the trans and transfer case, preasure plate and disc to access the flywheel bolts, all 6 of them.

there is no way to gain enough clearance between the clutch and flywheel. you will need to remove the trans and transfer case, preasure plate and disc to access the flywheel bolts, all 6 of them.
Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that would be the case. I was hoping I could Remove the clutch fork undo the clutch from the fly wheel and then get access. Will I need to do any special alignment to reassemble it all?

Nope. Can't remove the clutch fork or almost anything without seperating the tranny from bellhousing.
But, I've replaced a throw out bearing by just removing the tranny hump, supporting the tranny with ratchet straps from above (a 4x4 piece of lumber resting on dash and tailgate held the straps up, some with 40s rest the limber on the doors) and a floor jack from below. Was able to slide the tranny back the 6 inches or so to drop the pressure plate and clutch disc.
You will need to re-align your clutch disc with the pilot bearing when retorquing your pressure plate.
Always a tough job mating the tranny to the engine...

Depending on the production date of the engine there are three plates that have two holes each. Install the plates so two bolts go thru each plate. Once torqued to specs a corner of each plate is folded up to lock the bolt. My first cruiser found this out after the PO didn't bother to fold over the tabs and one bolt loosened up and locked up the clutch so transmission could be shifted with the engine running. Cotter pins weren't installed on the rod caps but that's another story.

That scene in “Christmas Story” where the dad goes into the basement to work on the furnace and the kid says his father uttered a chain of expletives that are still orbiting the planet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom