Looking for FJ55 tailgate for my LV project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know, it would not be too difficult to make these by taking a mold of a FJ55 tailgate. It would keep the original tailgate intact and you could make as many of these as you want. Is there a market for this? Fiberglass would be simple. Stamped steel would require a little more work, but could still be done. If you're just riveting it on the surface, fiberglass seems the easiest. It would be easiest if the tailgate was off the truck so you could lay it on saw horses or similar while making the mold. Is there a market for this? I sold my FJ55 in 2004, but am looking for one to buy again. Once you have the mold, it could be made in cast aluminum too. Thoughts?

Sounds like a lot of work unless you are set up for this kind of work.

So the question is are you set up for this kind of work? If so then we have lots of parts like front fenders that would be a better use of your time.
Flat parts like this are easy. If I had the tailgate, I could create the mold and the fiberglass piece in probably 2-4 hours, working quickly. I do have blacksmithing equipment (anvil, welder, oxy acetylene, grinders, forge, etc).

Steel fenders require fabrication. I'd probably only make a fender if I needed one for my truck, but I guess if there really were enough people who wanted them, I could create templates of the fender pieces. Again, a fiberglass fender would be easier than a metal one. I'd need to have a fender to make the mold from, and the mold is reusable, so you could make 100's of fiberglass fenders. Making the mold would not damage the fender. It would need to be a complete fender.

Yes, let’s get back to reality here.
Yup, finding a FJ55 tailgate, which is already a rare commodity, to cannibalize for a cosmetic addition to another vehicle is not ‘reality’ in my opinion.
I was simply offering another solution to a suggested need.

Candidly, as a new comer to the forum, offering something to the FJ55 community including the potential to create unavailable body parts for these trucks, seemed like a plus. But if folks in the forum want to shoot down an idea to help, that’s good to know.

Plenty of other things to do instead of wasting time here.

Please don't take anything I said out of context, I do believe if a guy could make some of the more complicated body parts out of fiberglass it would fill a need for some of these wounded pigs.
Welcome to the sty and I hope you stick around!

100%

But this is a heck of a good support group, all unique and at times a bit sarcastic sure, if you take a few keyboard shots in stride this can be very rewarding place to spend time.

Hope you stick around.

Cheers

100%

But this is a heck of a good support group, all unique and at times a bit sarcastic sure, if you take a few keyboard shots in stride this can be very rewarding place to spend time.

Hope you stick around.

Cheers
Langley WA or VA? I

If it's WA, I lived in WA for 20 years, and hoping to move back there soon. Got my first FJ55 during the early days of the internet, searching message boards. There were only 2 available in the Austin TX area where I lived at the time (1998). One was completely gone due to rust (and $5K), and the other was $10K (out of budget).

I found a rust free, 1972 red & white one in Vegas for $3,000. The guy had done a ton of upgrades including the addition of a 4spd & A/C. I had it shipped to Austin, but then moved to Seattle later that year. My new employer transported it to Seattle, and it lived there, garaged, until I sold my house and had no place to store it. Craigslist was not in use outside of San Francisco, and after advertising it several weeks in the Seattle Times, I only had one hit. Had to sell it at a loss ($1,000-1,500 I forget). I always regretted selling it. Then, it came up for sale again in Tacoma 2 months ago. The ad had no pics, but said it had A/C. I knew it was mine. Asked him to send me pics and it had the same spot of peach colored house paint on the rear quarter panel. I asked the guy, "does it have a wood headliner?". Yes, it's got a wood headliner. Sounds like the sale he had lined up, fell through, and I may be buying my old cruiser back. But I ended up here at IH8MUD because of the classifieds.

So what kind of parts are the hardest to get? I'm thinking of ways to help. Someone mentioned a dash. I'd need one to make the mold. There's a rusted out parts car in Boulder Creek, CA, but the guy hasn't let me come see it yet. Sounds like it's toast, but the dash could be OK. Doesn't get hot enough here for it to crack. Besides a dash, what else is in short supply?

Anyone know of a rig for sale or potentially for sale? I'm just North of SF now, but will consider anything from CA to WA, OR, ID, NV, AZ, CO,NM,TX

Also looking for Volvo 122s Wagons, but don't hold that against me.

Langley WA or VA? I
Neither, Langley B.C. Can
Yes, it's got a wood headliner. Sounds like the sale he had lined up, fell through, and I may be buying my old cruiser back. But I ended up here at IH8MUD because of the classifieds.
Getting your old flame back sounds pretty cool, good luck!
Besides a dash, what else is in short supply?
Lots of unobtanium on pigs, others will chime in with the top ten.
Currently various window rubber seems to be discussed often...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom