Longevity of OEM LX 470 Nakamichi system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Folks,

How reliable is OEM Nakamichi system and what's your mileage who still have their original system?

I have gone thru two in 200K miles.

Thanks

I just replaced my HU at 184k miles. No problems with it just wanted a modern HU.

Sold 3x 98-01 LX's last year and many years before at my dealership job before I moved to the Mountains and they all operated flawlessly. Great Audio for near 20year old rigs.

Y'all aren't referring to that 6 disc in dash changer thing, that I had in my 98 LX470, that sounded good, but ate discs and jammed regularly from the time it was new?

Y'all aren't referring to that 6 disc in dash changer thing, that I had in my 98 LX470, that sounded good, but ate discs and jammed regularly from the time it was new?

^^^^^^^^^ Certainly sounds like mine!

Sounds great, no issue with that, but just try to get a CD back out of it. I never put more than one in it and never expect to be able to eject it, but it sounds good.

Yeah talking about the CD changer. So how many of you still have/ had the original CD changer?

My stock 1998 HU sucks.

I like to listen to local weather and traffic on AM, but all I get is static. If I could get AM to work I would be happy. I'm wondering if something disconnected behind the unit like an antenna connection or so.

Thinking of adding aux to listen to my phone apps.

Then again I may just upgrade.

My stock 1998 HU sucks.

I like to listen to local weather and traffic on AM, but all I get is static. If I could get AM to work I would be happy. I'm wondering if something disconnected behind the unit like an antenna connection or so.

Thinking of adding aux to listen to my phone apps.

Then again I may just upgrade.

The antenna connection in the back of the unit would be something to check, but also the grounding collar on the antenna mast....I would check the collar first.

Stock HU here. AM range does leave a little to be desired. Besides that no real complaints and no reason to throw money at it.

I still have the stock head unit and speakers in both my 99 LC and LX470. I added an auxiliary adapter to the back of the LC head unit, but I understand that the Nakamachi Headunit doesn't have Aux. the Nak has eaten disks and I can't get them out and the speakers are cutting in and out. I think it's time to remove it and install a pioneer head unit and new speakers in both bypassing the factory amp. Been thinking about also installing back up camera. Haven't done that kind of work in years though.

'99 at about 80k miles. I haven't had a problem with mine yet. The drivers side door speaker cuts out but I assume that's from the wiring from all the door cycles. Gonna go w/ a car-puter screen when the times comes. I'm never happy w/ aftermarket.

'99 at about 80k miles. I haven't had a problem with mine yet. The drivers side door speaker cuts out but I assume that's from the wiring from all the door cycles. Gonna go w/ a car-puter screen when the times comes. I'm never happy w/ aftermarket.
I have a 98, but I don't think nakamichi. My driver door speaker would cut out frequently. I pulled the head unit, pulled a few of the previous owners CD's and some various pieces of plastic. Now that it's back together, the passenger door speaker cuts out... No longer the driver's side, now what?

Wow! A '99 with only 80k miles. My LC has 255,000 and my wife's LX has 190,000. Seems like the LX's have problems with the door speakers cutting out. Does anyone know what the cause is? Loose connections somewhere..

I pulled the Nak head unit out of the 99 LX and can confirm there is no aux input. Only the wiring harness and two antenna inputs.

2000 LX with original Nak. Had passenger door speaker cut out occasionally a couple years ago. Didn't touch it since then and have not had the problem since. CD and cassette still working. Only miss an aux input.

When I got my 99 LX w 160K the Nak HU was working fine and sounded great only the CD changer didn't work. I bought a replacement unit on ePray which works fine including the CD changer and still sounds great. I have my original HU still which has good sound but w an issue with the cd changer. The CD changer load / unload process is very finicky and if not done as per the instructions can tend to have issues. This may be the reason alot of them have problems - their finicky and if you stick in a cd before it's ready to be loaded they don't like it. Read and follow the instructions and make sure your passenger does also.

If my Nak would just work....I'd be plenty happy with it. It sounds good enough (for me) and I really don't need a unit with a bunch of gee-gaws. BUT...the CD player will NOT eject a CD any longer and at times the unit has even started playing a CD on its own, then quits, then starts.

IF I could find a repair shop that could/would fix it, that is probably what I would do. But no one will touch them.

LX470 Radio.jpg

Last edited:
If my Nak would just work....I'd be plenty happy with it. It sounds good enough (for me) and I really don't need a unit with a bunch of gee-gaws. BUT...the CD player will NOT eject a CD any longer and at times the unit has even started playing a CD on its own, then quits, then starts.

IF I could find a repair shop that could/would fix it, that is probably what I would do. But no one will touch them.

Let me go back to the picture of the reman sticker on mine...

View attachment 1688832

Try Precision Radio in San Antonio:

18689975-0F67-4913-97DE-522F130BDA3E.jpeg
EF08FD47-8D91-4165-BA66-E5B6B3ED4793.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom