Long time lurker ... best LC or LX 570 for $30k budget? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to land upon the best sweet spot of year vs mileage for a budget of about $30k. Mostly a daily driver. Maybe a little towing of under 5000 lbs. No major offroading planned. I just love these trucks. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

One other question - what do you think about relatively recent models (say 2016-2018) with 3 or 4 owners, all else being equal. I can't decide whether that is a deal-killer or not.

Thanks in advance.

Your location is one of the best areas to look for any car.
Get the newest year your check book can handle and /or with the most up to date oil changes and maintenance recorded.

I recommend getting one that has the fewest owners and was most loved without focusing on the mileage too much. I saw LCs with 1/2 the miles of the one I purchased that were abused with scratches everywhere, ground in dirt, tow cover missing, and scuffs on the dash etc. Irrespective of which LC/LX you purchase, make sure you get it inspected if you are not mechanicals-inclined. I think it is important when purchasing a used vehicle of this age. Also try to get one in the SW US or where you are. The ones from the midwest and CO are exposed to lots of salt during the winter.

There are sometimes LCs auctioned on the website bringatrailer. Lots of good photos and it can give you an idea about the market and what features you'd like in your truck. Looking can be dangerous though....lots of amazing vehicles there.

Similar market in what I’m looking for, mileage is concerning me less than where it is from, and how well the truck has been cared for. I’ve seen some under 200,000 Km’s (140k miles?) that are ROUGH. I found one with about 70k miles but from Ontario, I could already see rust forming on intake hose clamps in the engine bay.

from what reading I’ve done on here, I would decide more on the features you need (ex. Do you need 5 speed crawl control or will 3 suffice? Would you be fine with AHC or do you want standard suspension) then make your decision from there.

I’m looking for an 08-10 LX because I don’t expect to off-road a ton, but might tow and want a great vehicle to drive mountain passes. Knowing I won’t gain anything from looking for an LC200 nor a more advanced crawl control system means I can focus on who owned the truck rather than trying to find a unicorn.

Your location is one of the best areas to look for any car.
Get the newest year your check book can handle and /or with the most up to date oil changes and maintenance recorded.
Can't speak to your location, out west the best way to go would be a LX570, most are babies and not even used in 4L (which is almost bad in itself).
Don't get me wrong, I prefer the LC, but there are more LX's = better value for your $.

Mind you…you may pay more for LC INITIALLY, but LX has higher maintenance costs throughout its life unless you are very handy and do your own maintenance. If you are (very) handy, then LX is good value for sure.

$30k is a good budget for a 150-225k mile pre-'15 LC200. I don't think you can find a 2016+ for that price unless it's really high mile or clapped out. At least around here, you can take $5k off the price by getting an LX instead of LC, all other factors being equal.

I recommend you drive both the toyota and the lexus before deciding which one is right for you.

Do you like working on your own vehicles? If not I would strongly discourage you from a 150k+ mile truck. Any vehicle at this age (including 200’s) are going to have problems, and some can be $$$$.

If you do like working on cars, I’d look for a 1 owner (LC or LX) with great maintenance records from a dry climate.

I'm trying to land upon the best sweet spot of year vs mileage for a budget of about $30k. Mostly a daily driver. Maybe a little towing of under 5000 lbs. No major offroading planned. I just love these trucks. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

One other question - what do you think about relatively recent models (say 2016-2018) with 3 or 4 owners, all else being equal. I can't decide whether that is a deal-killer or not.

Thanks in advance.
I recommend this one - For Sale - Denver - 2010 LX 570 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/denver-2010-lx-570.1330809/

I bought a 2011 LC200 about a year and a half ago. It had 180k miles, but was $20k and had no rust. From South Carolina. It's been awesome, the only issue I had was one TPMS sensor went and the rear latch went. Rear latch was an easy fix for me with help from a thread on here. And I actually found the car here on mud. Biggest thing for me being in New England was rust. I got rid of my 2014 4Runner that had 140k miles and had a ton of rust on the bottom despite my best attempts with fluid film, etc. Only thing I don't love about the LC is that the infotainment is quite dated. But I love everything else.

Never buy a car from New England if you can avoid it. There's so much salt on the road right now, it looks like snow. Driving around, there are dust plumes that are just ground up salt. Brutal.

Last edited:
Everyone always discusses MILEAGE MILEAGE MILEAGE but i see very few discussing service history.

Pay closer attention to how it was maintained, and its service history.

I've seen sub 100k rigs with several lingering issues due to lack of proper service and i've seen 200k rigs that looked showroom.

I just picked up a 2010 with 212k on the clock, and record of every single dealer trip since new. The binder they gave me looks like the bible.

Not a spec of rust anywhere on the vehicle, and more importantly, underneath is also 100% rust free, and not a single flaw in the interior, or crack in any of the leather. Previous owners were OCD to the extreme on maintenence and service. Always OEM parts, no skimping pennies.

I tidied up a few minor things (door actuator and blower motor) after purchase, and it now feels like i have a new vehicle, its that clean.

I've seen similar with 100k on them, that look like a childs day care was run inside of it and its seeping oil from various orifices.

I put service history in much more of a priority over "mileage"

I'll take a well maintained 200k truck over a non maintained 100k truck any day of the week.

My .04 (inflation)

My personal opinion is I think its important to look at both - condition and mileage - perform an independent PPI and not only rely on documented dealer trips. Many of us enhusiasts service our own vehicles better than what is provided at dealerships and there are many stories of broken components after dealer trips (ex. rec door), and this is not due to a lack of financial resources on enthusiast part. And while it of course varies based on care, for most vehicles out there mileage does generally have an impact on the overall condition as they age specifically on rubber, plastic, leather, etc components. IMO, all things have to be considered.

My personal opinion is I think its important to look at both - condition and mileage - perform an independent PPI and not only rely on documented dealer trips. Many of us enhusiasts service our own vehicles better than what is provided at dealerships and there are many stories of broken components after dealer trips (ex. rec door), and this is not due to a lack of financial resources on enthusiast part. And while it of course varies based on care, for most vehicles out there mileage does generally have an impact on the overall condition as they age specifically on rubber, plastic, leather, etc components. IMO, all things have to be considered.

Agreed

Also depends on mechanical skill level.

I got mine with the Intent of dumping $10k into it to replace every single control am, tie, CV, and wheel bearings with new OEM parts, and still be ahead $wise.

This route isn’t for everyone though

Man if you want the best honest advice I have to get to know you to see which vehicle to recommend.

Pros and cons to both. Depending on use and personality, they could be deal breakers.

One thing i bring up all the time is the semi aniline in the lx is crazy delicate. Like i wouldnt put the hunting trip gang and a dog in there unless i bought it knowing that and or not caring or having money to burn. The materials are just different and definitely not meant for that sort of thing. Its a far cry from the house down jeeps.

Another thing is mods. If i were really looking to lift etc and knew AHC would just be in the way, i wouldnt get the LX. Even if you delete you still dont have kdss which IMO is what makes the lifted 200 LC so good. The fact that you can have both.

So it’s a bit complicated to me. Happy to talk about it if you really are unable to decide like i am. Ive been deciding wether i like mine ever since i traded the 470 on it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom