Local Shop? BFT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I was looking for any recommendations for trusted shops (or Mudders) in the Beaufort area. I am just a beginner wrencher and still need a few things addressed down the road. I have tried a few shops and have had very limited success over the years. My impression here is that most Mudders on the site do all their own work...not quite there yet. 77wagon has helped a ton already answering my never ending questions, sweat and some tools but my 80 is a DD and don't always have time (or expertise) to put it all back together by Monday morning.

I did just order a Knuckle Kit from CruiserOutfitters....my next weekend project! should be a hot mess, anyone else want to join in?

Thanks in advance.

Man, I really wish I could help you with a recommendation... As far as Mudders, Moon (@77wagon ) is the only other fanatic that I know down there. Is the 80 drivable? Can you make it up to Charleston?

Man, I really wish I could help you with a recommendation... As far as Mudders, Moon (@77wagon ) is the only other fanatic that I know down there. Is the 80 drivable? Can you make it up to Charleston?

Yes, Moon is a champ but he is as busy as I am.

My 80 is very drivable. It's my DD but not a lot of shops like working weekends. In case I'm up there what did you have to recommend?

LexTech Automotive is pretty awesome with 80 Series Land Cruisers. I think they've worked on everyone's rig, up here, at some point. For you, I was thinking more of a HAMOM type of deal, though, in case you have something that isn't urgent. For something urgent, Charleston is rather inconvenient...

LexTech Automotive is pretty awesome with 80 Series Land Cruisers. I think they've worked on everyone's rig, up here, at some point. For you, I was thinking more of a HAMOM type of deal, though, in case you have something that isn't urgent. For something urgent, Charleston is rather inconvenient...

I've heard of LexTech, it would be a tough commute for regular services. Sign me up for a HAMOM though! I got plenty of odds and ends to do as I just started the process of getting greasy. Can't afford to keep going to the shops 2x for the same issue on my teachers salary. I'm sure they are certified techs here but it seems like they don't actually like vehicles. Maybe it's just job security.

Thanks for the info! Mud is an insane forum in which I am a bit intimidated with my limited experience.

I did just order a Knuckle Kit from CruiserOutfitters....my next weekend project! should be a hot mess, anyone else want to join in?
Welcome. Dbenke helped me with my first knuckle kit last year. If you were local, I'd be there. Follow the video, make sure you have plenty of rags, and a part washer is valuable.

Welcome. Dbenke helped me with my first knuckle kit last year. If you were local, I'd be there. Follow the video, make sure you have plenty of rags, and a part washer is valuable.

Thanks for the thought. I'm hoping @77wagon will be my "part washer"! JK Moon.

Which video were you referring to? I only read 17 threads on the knuckle rebuild but didn't see a video. There was one super thread that seemed like a good reference....It's in my link bucket somewhere. Digging through again this week to prep for supplies.

YouTube is your friend

Thanks guys. I do my best at rummaging the forum and youube. Got a good list going....Just need to avoid the "Alternative Facts."

After @77wagon came by today it looks like I may need to add U-joints to my list!

Which video were you referring to? I only read 17 threads on the knuckle rebuild but didn't see a video. There was one super thread that seemed like a good reference....It's in my link bucket somewhere. Digging through again this week to prep for supplies.
Follow this, step by step: Jonesy part 1, Jonesy part 2

Also, if you don't have a FSM, don't touch the rig until you get one. Download it to your laptop and print the section you need when you do a job. I never throw away those pages, rather hole punch them and put 'em in a 3 ring binder with dividers. That way you can always reference it, or maybe that says something about my skills if I need to "revisit" previous repairs. :hmm:

Last edited:
Follow this, step by step: Jonesy part 1, Jonesy part 2

Also, if you don't have a FSM, don't touch the rig until you get one. Download it to your laptop and print the section you need when you do a job. I never throw away those pages, rather hole punch them and put 'em in a 3 ring binder with dividers. That way you can always reference it, or maybe that says something about my skills if I need to "revisit" previous repairs. :hmm:

Thanks for the links guys. I do have the FSM aka the Bible. The local shop printed their "service guide" out for replacing the front bearings and it scared me. 3 steps and done. I asked where the rest of it was and they said "that's it"....Hmmm, no thanks, I'll do it myself. As I've read here - if you want something done right pay the piper or do it yourself.

Fwiw our (Cruiser Outfitters) knuckle kits come with full step by step instructions including all torque specs. We have tool and grease recommendations here too:
Cruiser Outfitters

Thanks again for your order!

Fwiw our (Cruiser Outfitters) knuckle kits come with full step by step instructions including all torque specs. We have tool and grease recommendations here too:
Cruiser Outfitters

Thanks again for your order!

Just got my knuckle kit today! Looks perfect and intimidating but exited to get greasy. Thanks for the parts and look out for my tie rod end order coming soon! Are you stocking OEMs yet or are the 555s just fine?

Just got my knuckle kit today! Looks perfect and intimidating but exited to get greasy. Thanks for the parts and look out for my tie rod end order coming soon! Are you stocking OEMs yet or are the 555s just fine?

We absolutely stock both but the 555 Japanese ends are great!

Update: I did the knuckle job. Whoa. Messy. Turned out great and had all the parts. Thanks @cruiseroutfit . Also had the 555 TREs put in with new control arm bushings. I wasnt able to do that myself. They we all really in there. The tech had to torch everything to budge.

Question. Am I a jerk for showing the owner of the new shop ... Yes, I'm on shop #4 now ... How his tech dented my steering damper getting the tie rod off?

I made a decent stink about it without asking for anything, just wanted him to know. He got defensive and said that how you get it off and has seen hundreds of 80s with way worse dampers and we're fine. That wasn't the point. No one told me about it and I just happened to look. It's the principle involved. I was pissed and left.

Not at all, I've seen it all the time. Some mechanics don't care, cosmetics don't matter to them.The shop owner should have taken responsibility, though. I'm really picky about who works on my cars. I perfer to do everything myself when possible.

Not at all, I would bring it to his/her attention and ask if they will resolve. Is the dust shield dented or the actual body?

Kurt is the man...got all my stuff for my 60 series' from him.....headlight upgrades, knuckle kits, gaskets, etc. If I ever get a 61, 77 or later diesel it will be through him and his partner too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom