LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Square tube aluminum welder

This is not for the truck but for a small sailboat trailer I will be pulling. We've come across a good design and we're looking for someone who can put it together. Thanks for any recommendations.

Good Evening
My first car was a FJ40 1978, that brings a lot of memory since my father bought it new and I was 10 when I was with him to pick it up.
Recently I found what a was dreaming about it, a 81 FJ40 totally restored, I am in Fairfax VA area, I wonder if I can get some recommendations about future service and a good mechanic/shop to install a hard top that came with my cruiser, currently I have a soft top on it but eventually I will put hard top on.
Thank you

Anyone have recommendations for windshield replacement? Apparently the 80 windshield is notoriously difficult to replace and requires the technician to follow the FSM precisely.

How many guys did they send to replace it? Did you supply them with the OEM gasket and instructions?
Safelite replaced my LX450 windshield with no issues.

Nope, I specified OEM glass and seal. 1 guy did it in my driveway. Maybe he was just that good. I'm pretty sure safelite has specific installation instructions for each vehicle. The only issue was that the LX450 has a special gold coated windshield that they had to special order.

Hello all. I live in Harford County, Maryland and just recently bought a 1984 BJ42. I was looking for a mechanic that knows diesel engines that could do a once over on my truck to let me know how she looks mechanically. Looking for any recommendations.

Welcome to the madness. I don't have any shop recommendations, but would love to drool over your BJ42 in person sometime. So, it's got the cool dash, H55F and power steering right? What color is it? I've only seen '84's in tan.
My buddy @crustyBJ60 had an '84 BJ42 when I lived in Canada. He can better describe the things to be mindful of. The couple things I know are that the EDIC can fail and lead one to believe the truck is FUBAR and knowing how to bypass it is important. Don't "lug" the engine, i.e. it likes to be in the higher rev range otherwise you can overheat and crack the head. Carry spare glow plugs and glow plug relay in the glove box. Oh, and the alternator/vacuum pump is wicked expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm very new to vintage LCs. I have a 2001 LC and just love it and was drawn to the BJ42. I used to work on cars when I was younger with my father, but with work and young kids I got away from it. With the kids now going into college, I decided to take the leap and buy one. It needs some work. It's a little hard to start and I know very little about diesel but I know I will have to learn. Things I want to do is getting the engine in good running order, improving the suspension and steering, lifting maybe a 2-3 inches and getting larger wheels/tires (any idea on preferred lift and Wheel/tire), and do what I can to reduce noise intrusion. Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom