LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any ideas on where I could get a couple torque wrenches calibrated reasonably in the Manassas area? I have an older snap on inch pound and an older USA made craftsman 1/2 inch. Thanks!
Good question... I usually just go a few pounds over since I figure everything has +/-5% tolerance.

I used them once several years ago. The work was OK but the service was poor. I've been happy with Mountain Run Machine in Culpeper.

Ok good. I just need my spare rear shaft balanced before I install it. I wonder if I should go ahead and replace the u joints while I'm at it? Is it easy to tell of they're worn?

Yowza! $100 just to balance a DS. I think I'll deal with any possible vibrations.

Don't know. My DS might be fine I just seem to remember separating the halves so it might be out of phase. It's the same one you borrowed a couple years back.

Anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic to look at my front diff? Ideally somewhere around sterling / tysons / ballston area.

I see fluid on the underside, looks like a brown oil substance, and it appears to be coming from in front of the oil pan. Guessing that's diff fluid, so I should probably get it checked out sooner than later...

I just ordered parts from Dan at Ourisman Toyota Fairfax. He's not a cruiser guy so be ready to give him part numbers but he did give me a good discount from list.

Dan no longer works at Fairfax Toyota, just FYI. We need to find another source for discounted local parts.

I just reached out to Ryan at OTRAMM but I am located in Baltimore so hooking up with him would be quite a haul.

I read through the thread and checked the CLCC site but I didnt see any service recommendations that are (relatively) close to Baltimore. Any suggestions?

I have at least one oil leak (oil pump cover probably) and possibly others that I would like to get addressed. As much as I would like to think that I could tackle this myself, living downtown I simply dont have the right combo of garage, tools, know-how or time to work on my DD.

Im sure I can find it on the site (and will look) but where do you guys meet for the CLCC? Is the group suitable for mechanical novices and green off-road drivers? My LC is my DD and my wheeling has been light (mostly camping) but I would be interested in learning more about my truck and how to wheel properly.

Welcome to our forum.

From your profile page and your reference to the oil pump seal, I'm deducting you have an 80.

We meet at Kilroy's in Springfield, VA the 1st Wednesday of the month. We welcome all comers, as long as you have a Toyota 4wd.

I just reached out to Ryan at OTRAMM but I am located in Baltimore so hooking up with him would be quite a haul.

I read through the thread and checked the CLCC site but I didnt see any service recommendations that are (relatively) close to Baltimore. Any suggestions?

I have at least one oil leak (oil pump cover probably) and possibly others that I would like to get addressed. As much as I would like to think that I could tackle this myself, living downtown I simply dont have the right combo of garage, tools, know-how or time to work on my DD.

Im sure I can find it on the site (and will look) but where do you guys meet for the CLCC? Is the group suitable for mechanical novices and green off-road drivers? My LC is my DD and my wheeling has been light (mostly camping) but I would be interested in learning more about my truck and how to wheel properly.

Guys, I just picked up some parts form Ourisman Toyota. Dan's replacement name is George and I managed, somehow, for him to give us a family and friends discount on parts. Make sure you ask for George and mention CLCC. Just give him the song and dance about the Club and it should be enough to get the discount. If anyone has some parts, they might consider ordering soon so this sinks into his memory a little better....recency and repetition baby!

I couldn't get him to commit to a flat % off. I bought small stuff and got 25% off. I would expect 20%, but just call and ask as I'm certain different items get different breaks.

I went by Driveline Specialties today and they said they wouldn't retube it with anything but the OEM tube thickness. He said since it came off a Toyota it was probably a metric tube diameter and thickness and he wouldn't be able to weld standard sized DOM on to the yolks. There are several threads in the 80 section about people retubing with .120 wall so it seems it's been done before. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Either way I need to find another shop if I'm going to retube.

Go to Mountain Run Machine in Culpeper and Jimmy will fix you up. He has done this for me before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom