Lexus/Toyota Factory Navigation to 10" screen upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I submitted a request on their site for more info for my 04 LX. Here's the response I got:

Thanks for your inquiry.
I am sorry to tell this unit can not work with some protocols of LX47O. So we stopped selling it for LX470. Sorry for inconvenience.
If anything we can do, just feel free to contact us. We are ready here.
Best Regards
Andy

huh, maybe thats why I had some issues. I am guessing it likely has something to do with that awful ML stereo system.

here is a homebrew Canavie Operation & Installation manual for a 2003 UZJ100 (which was originally equipped w/Gen-03 factory NAV)

I have several .MOV videos that capture some demonstrations but haven't yet figured out how to upload them... tomorrow

Enjoy! :beer:

constructive feedback & corrections are welcome

Attachments

• Canavie CarPC Operation and Integration.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,085
Wow, you really took the time for this. I meant a video of you using it just to demo. I've made sample one while testing the Grom Vline. The grom is not bad, however I think it's android 5.1.1 is under powered. I've had it reboot on me multiple times when I load 3 apps (google maps, waze and google play). If you're having success with the Canavie I'm thinking about switching. It will free my glove box and it will make the screen look better.
pm me I'll email the vids. i don't want to upload them to youtube

WaterCruiser...you really did a great job. And took the risk in the first place. Congrats dude! And thanks from all of us...even the LX470 owners who currently can't use this specific unit.

For all other LX470 lurkers, I've been having email conversations with Andy at Canavie for a while now. I can confirm that they have currently withdrawn units saying that they support the LX. Here's what Andy had to say:

"As you have said there is no issue with Land Cruiser. anyone installed it with LX470 without issues in the forum? some of our customers had issues with LX470. so We just stopped it for LX470 currently but not stopped it for LC100!

We sold several ones to USA for LX470 and tried to contact these friends but without any response from them. So we are not sure if it can work well with LX470 from USA. However, this unit works perfectly with LC100 and LX470 from Mid-East countries.

In Nov there was a friend Charles from USA also inquired this unit for LX470. He said LX470 popular in USA and this unit would be in high demand. he also said he would try a sample but no further response from him...

A friend from Australia installed it with his LX470 and found some issues. He was very nice and he didn't return it. Since then we stopped selling it for LX470

On 6th Jan 2017, a friend Caleb from USA inquired it for LX470, he recevied my reponse as you saw in the forum.

This is the full story. I hope it will be helpful for you and other friends in the forum. Will you or any other friends in the forum still want to test it with LX470?"

That last question is something I told him that there's a few of us, at least. seanz0rz, jLB, deanfun, myself. I don't know if 4 customers is enough to justify it but...

If there are any other LX470 owners lurking and would like to throw your hat into the ring...speak up. I can let Andy know.

Again, WaterCruiser...my hat is off to you. if you want to crowdfund yourself some beer for your work, I'm in. I'll gladly send you a gift certificate for your nearest craft beer brewery!

What are the actual issues with the US-spec LX470? Minor stuff or deal-breaker?

I'd really like some option to replace the OEM ML head unit in mine at some point.

WaterCruiser...you really did a great job. And took the risk in the first place. Congrats dude! And thanks from all of us...even the LX470 owners who currently can't use this specific unit.

For all other LX470 lurkers, I've been having email conversations with Andy at Canavie for a while now. I can confirm that they have currently withdrawn units saying that they support the LX. Here's what Andy had to say:

"As you have said there is no issue with Land Cruiser. anyone installed it with LX470 without issues in the forum? some of our customers had issues with LX470. so We just stopped it for LX470 currently but not stopped it for LC100!

We sold several ones to USA for LX470 and tried to contact these friends but without any response from them. So we are not sure if it can work well with LX470 from USA. However, this unit works perfectly with LC100 and LX470 from Mid-East countries.

In Nov there was a friend Charles from USA also inquired this unit for LX470. He said LX470 popular in USA and this unit would be in high demand. he also said he would try a sample but no further response from him...

A friend from Australia installed it with his LX470 and found some issues. He was very nice and he didn't return it. Since then we stopped selling it for LX470

On 6th Jan 2017, a friend Caleb from USA inquired it for LX470, he recevied my reponse as you saw in the forum.

This is the full story. I hope it will be helpful for you and other friends in the forum. Will you or any other friends in the forum still want to test it with LX470?"

That last question is something I told him that there's a few of us, at least. seanz0rz, jLB, deanfun, myself. I don't know if 4 customers is enough to justify it but...

If there are any other LX470 owners lurking and would like to throw your hat into the ring...speak up. I can let Andy know.

Again, WaterCruiser...my hat is off to you. if you want to crowdfund yourself some beer for your work, I'm in. I'll gladly send you a gift certificate for your nearest craft beer brewery!

Sorry if this has been covered, but is this good to go with an 06 with factory nav?

kind words, thanks! and appreciate your offer. I make my own beer & so I get plenty of goodness. my contribution to the Forum given all the info I capture. This is a very well-informed and adventurous Community to be part of

regarding the non-100 applicability
What are the actual issues with the US-spec LX470? Minor stuff or deal-breaker?

I'd really like some option to replace the OEM ML head unit in mine at some point.
i don't know... some of the issues that @macmann wrote up (the circuit card not fitting the kit enclosure) and perhaps the temp display problems might not be issues. I had to modify the CCA enclosure and the temp does change in my -100. Don't want to talk you into something that won't work... see below
Sorry if this has been covered, but is this good to go with an 06 with factory nav?
email Andy (the sales rep) at Canavies' website; i think "yes"

Last edited:
Question here. I've skimmed this thread of and on for a long while. Exciting stuff. Big props to @WaterCruiser for the extremely detailed docs, those are nice.

If i were to eventually go this direction for an '06 LC, would i be at all limited using an iPhone? My wifes car has Apple CarPlay, and it's great. I just don't see anything about that on their site...so i'm curious.

Question here. I've skimmed this thread of and on for a long while. Exciting stuff. Big props to @WaterCruiser for the extremely detailed docs, those are nice.

If i were to eventually go this direction for an '06 LC, would i be at all limited using an iPhone? My wifes car has Apple CarPlay, and it's great. I just don't see anything about that on their site...so i'm curious.
I haven't looked into CarPlay - yet. maybe this weekend... what does it do? my i-Phone 6 connected right up via BT & wifi, supports hands-free calling/answering via touchscreen (haven't tried any voice-command stuff yet but it's on my to-do list). can also stream from i-phone library via BT however the on-screen visuals don't show anything other than basic pause/advance/rewind (no album cover art etc). maybe there are settings I've not yet discovered or perhaps another android app that

I'm certainly interested. I've been following this thread at a distance.. I have to go back and reread all 10 pages though.

I haven't looked into CarPlay - yet. maybe this weekend... what does it do?

Allows access to certain apps on your iPhone, through the nav screen (or voice).

iOS - CarPlay

An example on the vline:
upload_2016-12-28_23-20-3-png.1373178

Last edited:

CHFORD - I have an 06 LX470 and would definatly be interested in testing one of these units out!! I've been lurking in this thread a while now to see how the unit stacks up. I have a crack in my OEM nav screen, which makes the touch screen nearly unusable. It displays fine, but it dosen't register touch inputs on at least 50% of the screen, and even if it does, its not in the correct location. I was hoping this would be a way to replace my factory nav without having to spend $5k on a new oem nav unit. If you want to let Andy at Canavie know I am very interested, please do so. Or if I need to contact them directly, please let me know the contact information. Thanks!

Hey all LX470 owners interested in a unit that works with our vehicles...I have a question.

Does anyone know the differences in the multimedia stacks by model year?

For instance, I'm pretty sure that my '02 audio/nav unit behind the front face is pretty much the same as the ML/Nav unit for the 2003. But I think it differs from there forward.

I need correction to my thoughts as well as any knowledge you want to share on how your unit is different than 200x or 200y.

Share the knowledge and let's get Canavie working on units for our vehicles! They sound like they're willing.

Here's a list of "Possibly/Definately Interested" LX owners for this so far:
frogers935 '06 LX470
Higgin '06 LX470
3D FJ '03 LX470
mogili222 '03 LX470
JETIX2 '04 LX470
seanz0rz '05 LX470
jLB '03 LX470
Ramathorn15 '06 LX470
deanfun '07 LX470
cwiniger '04 LX470
CHFord '02 LX470

Anyone else want to be added? Anyone need their name/year corrected?

Jettix2 is the correct name, thank you for making a list!:)

Hey all LX470 owners interested in a unit that works with our vehicles...I have a question.

Does anyone know the differences in the multimedia stacks by model year?

For instance, I'm pretty sure that my '02 audio/nav unit behind the front face is pretty much the same as the ML/Nav unit for the 2003. But I think it differs from there forward.

I need correction to my thoughts as well as any knowledge you want to share on how your unit is different than 200x or 200y.

Share the knowledge and let's get Canavie working on units for our vehicles! They sound like they're willing.

Here's a list of "Possibly/Definately Interested" LX owners for this so far:
frogers935 '06 LX470
Higgin '06 LX470
3D FJ '03 LX470
mogili222 '03 LX470
JETIX2 '04 LX470
seanz0rz '05 LX470
jLB '03 LX470
Ramathorn15 '06 LX470
deanfun '07 LX470
cwiniger '04 LX470
CHFord '02 LX470

Anyone else want to be added? Anyone need their name/year corrected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom