Let's talk about Hydroboost Brakes (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scrapdaddy

Standing on the corner
SILVER Star
Threads
I need a new project and hydroboost brakes sounds like a good idea. I know J Mack and Megadoomer are running them, so maybe they will tell me again what make hydro they're using. Wish I would of written it down the first time. I'd like to upgrade the brake power to all 4 disc and would like to buy a new booster and master cylinder, so what should I look at? GM, Dodge truck, etc. For the master cylinder i'd like to buy Wilwood, any thoughts.

Thanks!

2002 GM 3500 Hydroboost and MC was $100 at the junk yard. Grab the tubes because they should bolt right in to your current power steering pump. You may need to change a fitting for where it goes in to your box. I think you have a 60 PS box? This setup turned my stopping from that of a freight train to a Honda Civic.

Of all my Cruisers I agree the 55 stops the slowest. I just did a complete brake job and dialed in the rear drums and it’s still pretty weak. Curious (other than weight) why that is. My 60 is heavier and it stops way quicker.

We came down Monarch Pass coming home from the Pig Party and smoked the brakes pretty bad. Admittingly pulling the military trailer without the trailer brakes working, but I want the best stopping power I can build.

I know J Mack

Any GM style 1 1/8” master cylinder should do. I used this one, Baer Brakes Remaster Master Cylinders 6801266LP

I believe most of the truck hydro boost units are similar with mounting plates and pushrods being the main difference.

Use field attachable hydraulic fittings to make all your high pressure hoses. Parker Hose End Fittings | PartsGopher

Get the fittings here. 16MM x #6 JIC Adapter-SF02 : Steering Hose and Fittings, Fittings Only | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components, power steering and, 18MM x #6 JIC Adapter-SF01 : Steering Hose and Fittings, Fittings Only | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components, power steering

Or call these guys and tell them what you want and have them put the kit together for you,

Field Serviceable # 6 Hydro boost Hose Kit-HK2040 : Steering Hose and Fittings, Hose Kits | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components, power steering

That's the hose I'm using now and have the PSC pump, so everything should play well together.

So, you like the Baer master, any opinions on the Wilwood master.

have the PSC pump

As long as you have the Remote Reservoir with three fittings on the bottom its easy peasy.

sr146-6-10-web3_2.jpg

It’s bling, chicks dig the bling…

Although it hasn’t helped me win any show and shine competitions lately.

I'm all about the bling. You got to have straight door panels for the Show and Shine. :flipoff2:

Lil' John,

From what I've been reading the hydroboost is a far better system than vacuum which damn near doubles the pressure, if not more. I also have a hodge podge mix of Toyota parts, but the disc on each corner are all 4 runner stuff. My brakes work, but not where I'd like them to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom