Lets see your rigs packed for a trip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump - there's some awesome gear tetris in this thread.

We sleep in the back of our rig so finding the EASIEST way to get everything in and out has been fun.

Got wood?

Pfft :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Ok here is my real addition to this thread: Both Cruisers packed for a road trip to the Sand Dunes in Colorado. Seating for 13 to do the 4x4 road up to our picnic site from our camp site. 4 of us, plus a family of 5, plus another couple (once we got all unpacked of course).

Here is the wood I brought: 5 HD/Lowes small boxes. But a fire ban started over the weekend so I had to bring back 3. It was too much anyway.

Between the 2 vehicles we have:
-5 small HD/Lowes boxes of firewood (40)
-Cabelas Alaskan Guide Tent & tarp (40)
-Coleman Tent & tarp (40)
-MSR Tent (40)
-2 Coleman stoves (40)
-2 Coleman lanterns (40)
-4 Home Depot Heavy Duty Storage Totes for dry food and odds and ends (2 80, 2 40)
-2 HD/Lowes small boxes for snacks and chip bags (1 80, 1 40)
-2 folding tables (40 roof rack)
-3 Thermarests (40)
-1 Plastic bin filled with toys (80)
-1 cot (80)
-4 sleeping bags (2 kids, 1 mummy, 1 "Big Johnson") (Big Johnson 80, others 40)
-4 clothing bags (1 North Face Base Camp Duffel XL, 1 NF Base Camp Duffel med and 2 other) (2 NF + 1 in 80, 1 in 40)
-1 7 gal water jug (80)
-2 coolers, 1 large, 1 small (80)
-1 10" dutch oven and accessories (40)
-1 recovery bag (40)
-1 HiLift (40)
-axe, short handled shovel, hatchet, broom, hammer, etc. (40)
-1 Puma air compressor (40)
-2 adult camp chairs and 4 kids camp chairs (40)
-2 canopies, 1 large, 1 small (small in 40 roof rack, large on roof of 80)
-a couple backpacks (40)
-12 workout floor grids for the tent. A Pinterest idea (I know...), but actually made the tent comfortable. (6 in 80, 6 in 40)
-Lil' Buddy heater (80)
-Pack 'n Play (80)
-backpacks with books and electronics for the kids (80)
-Sand shelter (40)
-Sand umbrella (roof of 80)
-2 folding picnic mats

We took so much stuff for a couple reasons: one we were camping with a couple families that have never camped before and wanted to make sure they would be ok, and two we haven't family camped much and my wife was nervous about entertaining the kids and keeping them fed all weekend, so I let her way overpack toys and snacks so she wouldn't worry about it. Ended up not having room for the guitar I wanted to bring, but I could've gone without some stuff too. Things we didn't need:
-1 Thermarest. Only needed 2. (space in 40)
-1 lantern. Probably didn't really need to bring any lanterns but I really like them. (space in 40)
-1 stove. I had my Jetboil with me too, and didn't need to bring the extra Coleman I thought another family might need. (space in 40)
-2-3 boxes of firewood. 1 box/night is pushing it, for 3 nights we could have had 2 boxes and been fine. Or we could have just bought it at the campground. But my parents have a bunch I'm trying to help them use up. The fire ban prevented us from burning much. (space in 40)
-Dutch oven. A luxury and not a necessity; didn't get used on this trip. Fun to use though, but didn't have a meal planned for it this year. (space in 40)
-2 kids camp chairs. 2 were enough for our family. (space in 40)
-The Coleman tent was for another family. (space in 40)
-The MSR tent was not a necessity. If it had rained it would have been nice to have a covered place for the kids to play; but it's not very big and there were 7 kids. And rain wasn't in the forecast. (space in 40)
-1 heavy duty tote. Should have packed less food. (space in 40)
-1 box for chips/snacks. Should have packed less food. (space in 40)
-2 canopies. Definitely luxury items; there was shade at the campground so these weren't really needed. (space in 40 and 80)
-The toy bin took up a lot of space. Would have been nice to disperse the toys into miscellaneous corners to fill in space. (space in 80)
-Gotta find an alternative to the "Big Johnson" sleeping bag. That took up so much space, but my wife doesn't like the restriction of mummy bags. (space in 80)
-Lil' buddy was not needed. Wife wanted to make sure we didn't get cold. (space in 80)
-Didn't need the axe or hatchet really. All the wood was split and lit readily with lighter fluid. Yes I cheat.

Wish we would have brought:
-Would have been glad to have a long-handled shovel instead of the short-handled shovel just in case, if we had had the space.
-Guitar

Last year we fit everything we needed into just the 80, but we also had the 3rd row seats out last year. Not sure if we could fit everything into the 80 and still have the 3rd row seats in.

IMG_0238.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
For me, less is more when traveling. I keep my cot up/ ready for sleeping at any time. All my “goods” are kept in duffle bags or small cardboard boxes under it. The cardboard recycled along the way, as its contents are consumed.

I also have window screens and a hatch tent. These don’t get utilized when I’m in stealth camper mode or sleeping in an area with bears/ lack or security.

Best of all, I can be fully in camper mode from my regular daily driver set up in under 10mins.
View attachment 1595892View attachment 1595894View attachment 1595895View attachment 1595896View attachment 1595900
who makes the hatch tent

Wish I would have opted for the full roof rack. Live and learn, I guess. Still the perfect vehicle for the family and related trips.

2016_IMG_9171.JPG
2016_IMG_9172.JPG
2016_IMG_9173.JPG

The one time I had to take the FJ40 to Baja instead of the 4Runner.

yes it fits.jpg

This was the Blazer "packed" for the trip home after a 3 day/2 night camping trip. It was me, my buddy, and two of our sons (one of his and one of mine; we don't have any children together).

bA12kkh.jpg

This isn't a full loadout, but I recently removed my 2nd row passenger seat, extended the sleeping platform (another cut-to-fit card table), and exchanged a few storage containers for two 3-drawer units.

6dQnWuJ.jpg

UcvWNGD.jpg

mnihkDb.jpg

Vmk0Hoc.jpg

G'Day Fella's,

Last week I got away Deer Hunting for a few days, to the Alpine regions of the Australian bush.
Here are a few images of that time away...........

You can see that the Battle Cruiser is loaded up and heavy, as it's sitting low (at the locality of Tom Groggin).
DSCN2764.JPG

In camp
DSCN2771.JPG

DSCN2776.JPG

Heading home
DSCN2798.JPG

DSCN2794.JPG

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

Last week I got away Deer Hunting for a few days, to the Alpine regions of the Australian bush.
Here are a few images of that time away...........

You can see that the Battle Cruiser is loaded up and heavy, as it's sitting low.
View attachment 1750239

In camp
View attachment 1750240
View attachment 1750242

Heading home
View attachment 1750244
View attachment 1750245

D'oh!
Homer
god i wish it was snowing here LOL!:D nice rig and did you get a deer?

G'Day Troy Scott,

Thanks for your kind comments mate.

No unfortunately, I didn't get a chance at shooting a deer (Sambar Deer).
I caught a glimpse of one at 10 meters but no chance of a shot, before it was gone.................
Thats Huntin I suppose.

Regards
Homer

Personal suggestions here - consolidate coolers, 65qt for drinks is a lot. Lose the roof box, it wastes a lot of space inside, get a rack. You'll be amazed at how much more effective they are at holding stuff than inside with its sloping walls, seats, curved roof... Finally, swap from those hard containers to drawers. Don't have to be bought, even simple DIY plywood work. HUGE benefit in organizing everything more efficiently, and you keep a nice flat surface to stack everything else on.
I am still tweaking my packing setup. I have the 16 cubic ft Thule Roof Box and I have been strapping my canopy to the factory roof rack. How much extra space can I hope to get with an aftermarket rack? I am trying to figure out how I would put 4 sleeping bags, table, cot, 2 tents and pads onto the roof rack and still end up with more storage. I have considered an aftermarket rack with soft big bags or even super large duffels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom