Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris, Rob installed a new heavy duty Cummins starter on my 1HZ if that helps.

I'll get with Rob on which one. I have a 6BT in the RV....might go have a look at that starter. Had no idea they would interchange...

Something I looked into for the Troopy ;) But with a Lithium house battery, a single is more than enough. My BattleBorn 100aH lithium charges up VERY quickly compared to a conventional AGM

mfk1816-fitted2-web_1.jpg

Ended up spending nearly the wholel week on this bumper project. I could have built a bumper from scratch I think in that time. Maybe not.....I get about 2 hours hands on in a day....usually in 10-15 minute bursts. So a full bumper would take me 2 months. Maybe....maybe longer.

Bumper turned out great....happy with everything. We popped the winch in it(M12000) to see how things lined up. No issues. We'll move the control box under the hood once we get into under hood stuff(hopefully soon).

20190809_100235.jpg
20190809_171143.jpg

Last thing was to put in the crossbar....we made ours bolt in. Had to remove 2.5" out of it. Going to do a pretty cool skid plate on this truck too....that might happen next week.

20190809_171108.jpg

Thinking I will go with the roller fairlead for the winch....I have a brand new one. Going to install synthetic line as well.

20190809_171202.jpg

Something I looked into for the Troopy ;) But with a Lithium house battery, a single is more than enough. My BattleBorn 100aH lithium charges up VERY quickly compared to a conventional AGM

That's a cool setup.....

Took a look at those batteries.....impressive. And pricey!

Ended up spending nearly the wholel week on this bumper project. I could have built a bumper from scratch I think in that time. Maybe not.....I get about 2 hours hands on in a day....usually in 10-15 minute bursts. So a full bumper would take me 2 months. Maybe....maybe longer.

Bumper turned out great....happy with everything. We popped the winch in it(M12000) to see how things lined up. No issues. We'll move the control box under the hood once we get into under hood stuff(hopefully soon).

View attachment 2053990View attachment 2053992

Last thing was to put in the crossbar....we made ours bolt in. Had to remove 2.5" out of it. Going to do a pretty cool skid plate on this truck too....that might happen next week.

View attachment 2053991

Thinking I will go with the roller fairlead for the winch....I have a brand new one. Going to install synthetic line as well.

View attachment 2053993

Synthetic roller, will look good with arb’s organic roller provisions

Yup, running the numbers it works out to be a bit cheaper and MUCH lighter than a comparable conventional AGM setup (for an aux battery) in the long run.

If I told you how many fancy new Mercedes we get in that have to have their lithium batteries replaced, you'd have a laugh. $3000 each.

The weight savings is incredible......my house battery is a pig. 90 pounds I think.

Synthetic roller, will look good with arb’s organic roller provisions

I was thinking about powder coating the Warn rollers I have....brand new fairlead. Those Daystar ones are pretty cool though.....was on the list to research. Reviews aren't so good but it seems like mostly fitment issues.

I was thinking about powder coating the Warn rollers I have....brand new fairlead. Those Daystar ones are pretty cool though.....was on the list to research. Reviews aren't so good but it seems like mostly fitment issues.

Powder would likely be a better option, and something I haven’t considered moving toward a synthetic conversion. Thank you!

Powder would likely be a better option, and something I haven’t considered moving toward a synthetic conversion. Thank you!

Seems like there used to be some Delrin ones offered by Viking but those are long gone. I bet they were pricey.

I'll get with Rob on which one. I have a 6BT in the RV....might go have a look at that starter. Had no idea they would interchange...
I used the guts of a Cummins starter for my 3B. Just reuse the Toyota nose cone. Great way to switch from 24v to 12v on the cheap.

In my case the decision was made for me because my Toyota starter had issues. Adding a new, heavy duty Cummins starter was an easy decision. It pains me a tad that it has the word "Chrysler" on the data plate but it's a big boy starter.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The 1HZ motor in #2 didn't come with a starter....so no swapping nose cones. But I think the HZJ73 came with another starter.....will look at the box of stuff I have for it. 73 is a 24V truck.

The 1HZ motor in #2 didn't come with a starter....so no swapping nose cones. But I think the HZJ73 came with another starter.....will look at the box of stuff I have for it. 73 is a 24V truck.
Rob can probably help you with a nose cone.

I had priced out an OEM 28100-17061 at $396 from my the dealer down he street that we get our parts from.

Maybe I can cross reference a Denso unit and save a few bucks.

I knew I saw a starter in a box that came with my HZJ73...tagged as 1HZ 24V. No idea why it came with it but it's going to get put into the #2 truck. Bought a Denso 228000-2292 to swap around with. Saved a few bucks doing it this way vs. the OEM Toyota one.

20190812_130032.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up this little gem for the center bezel......I'll go thru the install and a little more detail once we get into it but it's a slick piece. OLED screen, about a million different display configs with alarms, trip computers, etc. I bought all the sensors so I will be able to monitor EGT, boost, oil temp, oil pressure, indoor/outdoor temp, etc. Couldn't resist hooking it up to see how it looked.

Almost fits the clock opening perfectly....about 1/16" off on each side which you can't see once it gets installed.

20190812_135832.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom