Let's baseline my grandma's neglected, (20 year old to us) 1997 LX450

ok I'm following this thread from someone who's having the same issue as me: Post in thread '96 fzj80 crank no start' 96 fzj80 crank no start - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/96-fzj80-crank-no-start.1289471/post-14533610

no CEL so that means the ECU is not ready. I'm going to buy a new fusible link with the block. it looks sketchy anyway so I might as well replace it.

20220803_095353.jpg

20220803_095417.jpg

I have a few more things I need to check:
- fuses
- wiring harness close to egr pipe
- fuel pump relay? the one close to rear driver side wheel
- fuel pressure to see if there's fuel going into the injectors?
- spray starting fluid into the throttle body?

I may have found the issue. the fuel pump connector seems to have a missing wire that may have disconnected. this should cause the ECU to not be in the ready state right?

What's the best way to test this hypothesis? check if there's fuel pressure when the ignition is ON?
20220804_133447.jpg

I may have found the issue. the fuel pump connector seems to have a missing wire that may have disconnected. this should cause the ECU to not be in the ready state right?

What's the best way to test this hypothesis? check if there's fuel pressure when the ignition is ON?
View attachment 3077504
No, the fuel pump on these does not run until the engine is cranking.

You would need to bypass the fuel pump from the fuel pump relay under the hood. I have not personally done it, so I'm not going to tell you which pins to jump, but if you can read electrical wiring diagrams (EWD) then you can look at the FSM and determine which pins to jump to force the fuel pump to run.

No, the fuel pump on these does not run until the engine is cranking.

You would need to bypass the fuel pump from the fuel pump relay under the hood. I have not personally done it, so I'm not going to tell you which pins to jump, but if you can read electrical wiring diagrams (EWD) then you can look at the FSM and determine which pins to jump to force the fuel pump to run.
ok I just finished downloading the manuals and EWD.

20220805_182012.jpg

OK so I checked the fuses under the hood and in the instrument panel and found a blown fuse for ignition.

what could have caused the fuse to blow? I did notice the hose going to the heater control valve was leaking there but it couldn't have caused it right? could disturbing the firewall engine wire behind the ege pipe done it?

I'll dismantle the hoses again and clamp them this time and secure the firewall engine wire and see if there are some exposed wires

Ok @BILT4ME it looks like you're on the money. On page 56 of the EWD, It is showing that the Junction block/splice point 14 is at page 32 and that page shows a diagram of the Cowl wire that looks to be running along the firewall. BTW I noted that the following components are not working when the key is in the ON position:

clock,
A/C fan (but the indicator lights turn on),
Low fan for rear heater (the Hi version works),
head unit,
OBD2 connection

diagram.PNG

cowl wire.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom