Leak on my Dads 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_0702.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg
Trying to figure out what this leak is for my Dad. 2017 200 (US). Says it’s water and it doesn’t happen when the AC is on just after it rains he notices it. Dealership said they would have to pull the dash to get to it….so big bucks that he doesn’t want to spend. Any help is appreciated as always.

Has windshield been replaced? Is there an accumulation of debris beneath the cowl?

Dash does not need to come out unless the leak has already harmed electronics.

Dash does not need to come out unless the leak has already harmed electronics.

I assumed as much on the dash pull, they were very adamant about putting him in a 2024 while he was there.

Does it happen when he's parked nose-down on a downhill or leaning to the right, even slightly? I had a similar issue on my 2009, although the water was showing up closer to the center of the passenger footwell. I recently replaced the windshield cowl and that seemed to do the trick, it's now staying dry during and after heavy rains. I'm a little surprised that this might be happening on a 2017 with original glass, but I suppose the cowl could have degraded if it regularly lives outside in the sun.

Probably should be said that this is worth chasing and resolving right away as it has the potential to cause serious electrical issues with a wiring harness junction at the footwell.

A new windshield cowl solved my water leak I had for years. Not a drop in over 6 months.

I'll guess Cowl too. You can cover up the HVAC inlet to test that theory.

I have a brand new 200 LC (not LX) cowl for sale, that no one seems to need...

Just did this fix approx a year ago, followed what @CharlieS - @kwelhand - @lx200inAR - discovered and recommended. (THANK YOU GUYS!)

Our 22/23 winter rains were relentless in SoCal and a couple weeks ago we had a Tropical Storm from Mexico (dropped 7 inches of rain in 24 hours)

I did add a 2 inch thick length of expanding foam to the back of the white cover to help give it an extra air gap above the factory metal

Not a single drop in the passenger footwell

The link above will give you all the info to correct this

20230415_134514_resized.jpg

20230415_160500_resized.jpg

20230415_160919_resized.jpg

Prior to the finished template, I put 2 layers of 1 inch expanding foam on the back where it would rest on the factory metal. Probably not needed, but seems to work fine

20230415_160302_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom