LCXC 2018: Baja! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So far only four of us have updated the e-doc, not sure who else is in.

As for the map, looks ok to me.
I know some people need to be back by the 1st and it looks like that itinerary is setup for 9 days?

I'm fine with added time, personally, though. I'll probably take a week prior to get my rig ready and take another week or two after the 1st if I end up wanting to go solo (unless others are in) down to Cabo and stay for a few days.

@TonyP -I updated my info on the sheet.
@Mogwai -Missed your last message regarding itinerary at first. Will spend some time with that. Thanks for your work on it!

Scratch that, I need to be back in Utah by the 4th of April in preparation for my potential trip to the sandbox.

Also, because of that, this will be my only trip this year. No LCDC for me. So lets make it a good one!

Last edited:
So far I'm feeling the 2nd option more than the first. However that's not to say the 2nd option can't still be improved.

Fishing - my group (x3) would be in to do some fishing, but probably on the smaller scale (like rent a Panga for 4- 5 hours in the AM, do some in-shore fishing and maybe even explore an island or two?). Is that along the lines of whoever mentioned it first was thinking? Fishing out of Bahia Asunction should be great, but there are other spots we can target as well.

So far I'm feeling the 2nd option more than the first. However that's not to say the 2nd option can't still be improved.

Fishing - my group (x3) would be in to do some fishing, but probably on the smaller scale (like rent a Panga for 4- 5 hours in the AM, do some in-shore fishing and maybe even explore an island or two?). Is that along the lines of whoever mentioned it first was thinking? Fishing out of Bahia Asunction should be great, but there are other spots we can target as well.

I'm probably less inspired to do the deep sea thing since I'm in San Diego where it's always available...

I do enjoy fishing, though, and would go along with the group-think if that was the consensus.

So far only four of us have updated the e-doc, not sure who else is in.

Sorry I haven't updated the doc, but our situation hasn't really changed. We really want to make this one but work for one or both of us will probably end up getting in the way:(

Doesn't matter to me, boat or shore. As long as I can kill a sea creature, cook it and eat it so I can feel manly.

If we wanna truly man up, we can just cook and eat a desert tarantula... or a rattlesnake or two... :hillbilly:

Or worse: Local tap water

Last edited:
Consumed with adaquate amounts of cerveza or Mescal, Hell yes Just think of how many chess moves you could do while on the throne

@TonyP, I bought one of these for my trip to India

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3S7O5I/

Lifestraw are ~$20 and will filter bacteria, which is probably sufficient in Mexico and a good insurance policy for everyone. The Grayl (above) will filter viruses as well, which was important to me in a country where typhoid and hep-a are common in the water.

I'm in for anything... Just let me know WHERE and WHEN we start.

Right on. Be sure to plug in your info in the planning doc (first page).

The itinerary looks good to me! Thanks for writing that up Zac.

I'll probably need to head back around the 2nd to make it back to Utah for the 4th unless something changes with my work stuff.

I will not be able to stay for the last day. I need to be back in Dallas on Tuesday April 3rd.
Once we get to San Felipe on Sunday, I'll have to leave you guys and continue on to the border crossing in Mexicali.

Sorry guys, work isn't going to permit me to attend this awesome trip. I'll definitely see you guys at the Moab Pre-Funk and 200LCDC though. Have a great trip!

Obviously goes against your entire itinerary but I'd recommend bypassing the Pacific route and head down through Mexicali to the 5 then cut over. The coastal towns will slow you down quite a bit. But, you'll make your times for the most part. Also Mulege to Santa Rosaliita is doable, but getting to the wall will add about 1-2 hours or so. Personally, I'd skip the wall at that time as it will be windy and full of human crap. Also try to skip Guerrero Negro if possible. Lastly it seems like you guys are going really far for that time period... You'll be just driving almost constantly...? Maybe skip Mulege (Not that great IMO, just a bunch of Americans and Canadians anyways...).

Just opinions... either way you'll probably have a good time.

Obviously goes against your entire itinerary but I'd recommend bypassing the Pacific route and head down through Mexicali to the 5 then cut over. The coastal towns will slow you down quite a bit. But, you'll make your times for the most part. Also Mulege to Santa Rosaliita is doable, but getting to the wall will add about 1-2 hours or so. Personally, I'd skip the wall at that time as it will be windy and full of human crap. Also try to skip Guerrero Negro if possible. Lastly it seems like you guys are going really far for that time period... You'll be just driving almost constantly...? Maybe skip Mulege (Not that great IMO, just a bunch of Americans and Canadians anyways...).

Just opinions... either way you'll probably have a good time.

Always open to opinions and suggestions. We still have plenty of time to make adjustments. What's your ideal route/stops/must-sees for a 7-ish day trip?

Side note: Decided to try and get an on-board shower install pieced together. Looks like I can be into it for around $200. A camp shower is well worth that... to me anyways.

It's hard to say... If most are first timers, then I guess it's kinda worth driving through TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada... Past Ensenada it opens up for a while but then is slow goings to San Quintin. Then to El Rosario. After that it's wide open but you're generally stuck behind giant semi trucks through very twisty and narrow roads.

Mexicali to San Felipe and south to Gonzaga, and surrounding areas are really good for snorkeling and fishing. LA Bay area to the north and south is fun and some good trails. Then down to Bahía Asunción. You can probably spend a good amount of time there and driving the bays and beaches. In my opinion, I think getting to Mulege is going to be a stretch, but it sounds like you're being pretty fluid. Just see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom