LCXC 2018: Baja! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Always open to opinions and suggestions. We still have plenty of time to make adjustments. What's your ideal route/stops/must-sees for a 7-ish day trip?

Side note: Decided to try and get an on-board shower install pieced together. Looks like I can be into it for around $200. A camp shower is well worth that... to me anyways.

Curious what shower setup you went with.

Curious what shower setup you went with.

10 Plate heat exchanger
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039WXZH6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?smid=AMLUJCOAVH826&psc=1

ShurFlo 3.0 gpm pump
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W5GCQC2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?smid=A21JB2LOTROWHL&psc=1

Thermostatic Mixing Valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SYC1IV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=AFYZNN7ULQWBK&psc=1

Cheapo shower head with on/off switch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4VP3FE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Suction cup holder for shower head (figure I can attach to the side of the 200)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CFACMI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Plus whatever fittings/hoses I'll need to pick up from the Homeless Despot.

Figure I'll be into it for under $225 all in.

Oh I hear you, cold and wet is my worst nightmare. That said though, for this trip it should be mid-80s by day. Water high 60s. If you let your water sit in the sun it will get hotter than ambient. Go from ocean to hotter than ambient and the 20 or so degree increase will fee like a hot shower. Down here in SD everyone rinses after going in the ocean, it's never a bad experience, and never a hot shower either. Sometimes it's so hot out a cold shower is niiiiiice.

Edit: and I suppose all I would have to do is boil some water to add to the bucket of ambient water if I wanted something hawt.

And plus if you've got a hot shower, and I've got water, can't we just be sharing neighbors!?!?!

Looking forward to this trip, just picked up a Tembo Tusk skottel (the full size) for $80 off CL, curious if it can keep any sort of decent heat in Baja winds.

Yeah if I can get everything installed, I'm fine with it. Just BYOW. I'll probably carry 2x jerries with 5 gallons each. One for shower, one for emergency water and carry single gallons for drinking.

On another note, if you have Gieco, go through them for insurance. Bajabound was more expensive for me, for some reason.

From the 24th to the 4th, full coverage ("extended"), $50k Land Cruiser valuation, $360.

Mexico Insurance

Last edited:
I have a Kariba standalone heat exchanger and shower setup. It runs on the MSR/Snow Peak compressed gas canisters. Folks are free to use it assuming you have water.

I've had several shower solutions and the Helio was the first and probably one of my favorites due to its simplicity.

Hey all...

Just a little PASSPORT reminder to those who may still need to obtain or renew theirs.
They didn't used to require them at the reentry point, but definitely do now.

You should have plenty of time still, but don't wait!! o_O:steer:

2 Cents:
Highly recommend the secondary driver's-license-size version, as it's good for Mexico and Canada, and it a great option for not much more $$. You can add it to the normal passport book for an additional fee. I keep it with me in case I ever

How many trasharoos between us?

How many trasharoos between us?

Never had one, but curious.
Is it really just for trash??

I guess it makes sense to store garbage outside the vehicle on a long trip to the boonies...but it seems like it would get super-heated and super nasty really quickly there too. Curious how often you feel the need, since gas stations, etc. have trash bin.

What's the consensus?

Is it an, "I can't imagine not having one" item now that you've used yours?

Talk me into one! ;)

It's certainly better than having trash bags in the vehicle. I still put a trash bag in the Trasheroo like a trash can.

It's also good for dirty/wet clothes but I have another mesh tire bag for those so they can air out better.

Is it 'must have' like a tire repair kit? No.
It's really nice to have though. Plus, it's only $45.

It's certainly better than having trash bags in the vehicle. I still put a trash bag in the Trasheroo like a trash can.

It's also good for dirty/wet clothes but I have another mesh tire bag for those so they can air out better.

Is it 'must have' like a tire repair kit? No.
It's really nice to have though. Plus, it's only $45.

Ya, I just spent some time reading some reviews... and it's cheap!

Thinking about things like traveling with my dog, and having to store dog crap in a bag inside the vehicle.

SOLD!

Just trying to decide which color will hang in there the best since it's gonna be CAKED with dirt a lot of the time.

When you are on the trail, you can also carry recovery gear in it for quick access.

When you are on the trail, you can also carry recovery gear in it for quick access.

Ya, would be great spot for a super muddy recovery strap, etc.

Just added one to my Amazon cart. :clap:

Ya, I just spent some time reading some reviews... and it's cheap!

Thinking about things like traveling with my dog, and having to store dog crap in a bag inside the vehicle.

SOLD!

Just trying to decide which color will hang in there the best since it's gonna be CAKED with dirt a lot of the time.

I had gray on my 4Runner but went with Olive Drab green for the 200 (haven't used it with the 200 yet).

I had gray on my 4Runner but went with Olive Drab green for the 200 (haven't used it with the 200 yet).

Think it would flop around if I put a second one on my Rotopax side?

Might be nice to have a non-garbage unit and a nasty-garbage unit.

Edit: Never mind... :) I'll order the first one and see for myself (duh)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom