LCXC 2018: Baja! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like this is happening. The plan as of now, is to meet up in San Diego on the 24th of March and be back in SD on the 1st of April.

If anyone is interested in going but not wanting to take their own rig, I may have an empty passenger seat.

This thread is a brainstorming session for possible routes, ideas, thoughts, concerns, places to visit, time-frames, tequila of choice, ect...

Planning document by Cole, feel free to edit and add info:

LCXC: Baja 2018

List of definites:

@TonyP
@Markuson
@indycole
@Mogwai
@TRD Burglar
@Mark Mehalic

Last edited:
OK. The pictures helped. I'm in. :hillbilly:

You have to understand that my main exposure to Mexico is Tijuana. Not a pretty site.

Wheeling on the way to some remote beach? Different story. :)

OK. The pictures helped. I'm in. :hillbilly:

You have to understand that my main exposure to Mexico is Tijuana. Not a pretty site.

Wheeling on the way to some remote beach? Different story. :)

Well that was easy :)

Yeah, I haven't been to Tijuana but I'm assuming it's dreadful.

But imagine this with a group of 200s.

129_0208_01_z%2Bearthroamer_in_baja%2Bbeach.jpg

Well, some real talk, I may be medically retired. A decade of combat has taken its toll, but it’s going to be a significant life changing event for me. I don’t really know my time I can take off, if I can go OCONUS, if more surgeries can fix me (I don’t mind fighting, so I’d actually just like to get better), but yea. I need some time to figure this out, it’s been a rough year in this process already, but the second I know, I’ll let you guys know. But you’ll all need to bear with me on things for the next year.

Last edited:
Well, some real talk, I may be medically retired. A decade of combat has taken its toll, but it’s going to be a significant life changing event for me. I don’t really know my time I can take off, if I can go OCONUS, if more surgeries can fix me (I don’t mind fighting, so I’d actually just like to get better), but yea. I need some time to figure this out, it’s been a rough year in this process already, but the second I know, I’ll let you know guys know. But you’ll all need to bear with me on things for the next year.

I hear ya,. Good luck with everything, including the VA, that can be quite the task itself. You sound in worse shape than me and I'm trying to squeak by these last 4 years without getting the boot with a host of issues. Hopefully you can make it to whichever meeting we have LCXC or LCDC or whatever so I can buy you a beverage and we can shoot the s***.

I am seriously thinking we might be able to pull this off if we do it in March. I can make it to SD in 3 days from DC with the dogs. The girls are off for spring break in March this year. I will fly them into SD scoop them up and have them fly back out of Cabo/some Mexican airport along the way .. Totally doable!

late March is the only time that I could do this one - unless we did it in the summer and the will be hot!

I would suggest as a minimum you take a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with OO buck Mag. Be safe you guys

I agree 100% but if you’re even caught with a single bullet in your vehicle, you’re heading to prison or handing over your wallet to be let go if you’re so lucky. I would love to do this trip with at least 5 other cruisers. Your best option is taking a bunch of counterfeit money to pay off cops. Lol!

I would suggest as a minimum you take a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with OO buck Mag. Be safe you guys

Mexico allows you to bring shotguns?
I don't think so... Thinking that's a ticket to jail, and some cop ending up with your Cruiser.

This is the other reason why Mexico hasn't been high on my list.
Police are not reliable at all, and often more likely to abuse than the bad guys...

Or...you break down...go to town for help...and come back to find your cruiser stripped of every last removable item...

**On the other hand... Brazil, Colombia, Papua New Guinea, Africa and other locales were at least as bad or worse. So... I'm still be interested in this trip.

Last edited:
Well, some real talk, I may be medically retired. A decade of combat has taken its toll, but it’s going to be a significant life changing event for me. I don’t really know my time I can take off, if I can go OCONUS, if more surgeries can fix me (I don’t mind fighting, so I’d actually just like to get better), but yea. I need some time to figure this out, it’s been a rough year in this process already, but the second I know, I’ll let you guys know. But you’ll all need to bear with me on things for the next year.

Just get your self fixed and don't worry about missing any trips, the real estate will still be here. Besides the way it's going here in the PRK, California may become part of Baja. :rofl:

Rob, you have survived some serious...SERIOUS...abuse.
None of us here at home really have any idea what you guys go through, but it's appreciated.
My hat is permanently off to you.

Last edited:

No, don’t do that. It is illegal in Mexico and will result in a long jail sentence in a very bad prison.

Most violent crime is gang on gang or drug related. As long as no one plans on getting involved in drug deals with the cartel, getting blind drunk at a shady club until 4am, or doing anything dumb in general, we'll be fine, especially in a group. I would be far more concerned about going to Detroit or Chicago.

If going south out of San Diego, you're pretty safe past Tijuana. Definitely don't get separated or lost near the border. Once past ensenada, most if the people there are generally just simple folks scratching a living out of the dirt. Take extra items to donate, blankets, toys, coins for the kids, candy bars. A little cash here and there spreads a lot of good will.
Staying in a group makes you a harder target.
Be polite to the federales, and military check points. Most are 18 yr olds slinging FAL rifles. Speaking Spanish helps alot, but so many gringos go down there, most people can figure out what you are wanting.

In Mexico you get a lot further along using the carrot over the stick...

Like most countries where one is a visitor a smile goes a long way in many scenarios

If all you guys take AK-47's and a couple of boxes of hand granades you could probably defeat the entire Mexican army, the drug cartels do ;). Plus you won't have to worry about your 6 :). I've been worse places but as I get older and wiser I don't do that anymore. I guess being an old Marine and an X LEO, makes one a little more paranoid. Don't let my paranoia ruin your adventure, I'd just rather be armed!!!,

Put me on the list! Fluent Spanish speaker. I'm flexible on schedule but Jan/Feb would be the best whale watching. Going out in Magdalena Bay on a small boat to see the baby gray whales is super cool! Plenty of Humpbacks down in Cabo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom