Land Cruisers Manufactured? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello you guys,,,,,Anybody know where I can find out the breakdown of how many cruisers were manufactured from 1961 to 1984? Trying to find out specifically how many of the BJ46 diesels were made. Been looking on Mud but can't locate anything. Any info? Thanks, Dave

One of the major vendors used to have a cool, chronological snapshot of numerical milestones. I can't seem to remember who? CCOT maybe?

fj Dave,

The documentation available to me indicates that there were three production lines for the BJ46; two were specifically for the Euro market.

The general market vehicles started April 1980 and ran through August 1984, with a total of 1,177 built till that date.

The Euro-spec version saw the first vehicle made in March 1980 and the last of its line a year later in March 1981, a limited total of 94 vehicles. The second EEC line started a month prior in February 1981 with its last built in October of 1984 with a total of 1,618.

The combined total would be approximately 2,889 BJ46 versions built plus a few more during the last month of production.

This is a worldwide production figure for Japanese-built frames, assuming the Japanese domestic market vehicles were included in these totals--only Mr. Toyoda knows the truth here, and he isn't talking. Complete knockdown (CKD) versions of the FJ40 and FJ45 have been assembled in various other countries(eg. South Africa, Brazil, etc.) and the assumption is that Japanese-built and numbered frames were used for these; and perhaps some assembly was also done for the BJ46 other than in Japan, but not likely.

Also, while at the end of the run there may have been extra parts surviving as replacement parts specific to the BJ46 model, along with overages, without a certified stamped frame, no more complete vehicles would exist beyond the numbers above, except pre-production prototypes.

Others here may have additional information and/or direct correspondence with Toyota Corp officials they may share.

HTH

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thanks Bear!! Great Info!! The one I was just able to purchase from northern Japan is a 1983 BJ46 / RHD / 24 Volt / Brown and White Zebra Seats / 5 Speed / Factory AC / Factory Power Steering / Factory PTO Winch / 3B. I won it in an auction over there. I have been looking for an affordable one for years. It arrived and was in much better condition than I expected. Needless to say I was completely stoked. Do you happen to know if all of the JDM BJ46 Cruisers came stock with the Brown and White Zebra Seats? Or was that model considered the LX? I know Toyota did a BJ42 LX. In any case the thing is amazing. I got quite lucky on this one.

Congrats ! Have seen solid-color vinyl rear foldable bench, white vinyl trimmed front seats with reddish-plaid inserts. Not sure if any were labelled "LX," but yours has the interior plastic cladding like the FJ40LX. Interesting that the rear seat doesn't appear to have shoulder seat-belts although the upper panel seems to have the stamping for the reinforced anchor.

How about sharing a few more interior photos? Would be interested to see how the rear seat is anchored to be tiltable forward from the floor.

Also curious how these JDM were different from the Euro-spec versions.

Wow is all I can say. Very jealous. Only thing different I can think a LX model would have is three wiper arms. Do find it interesting is the glovebox door does not have a twist handle. Is the steering column the collapsible two piece or the single piece? Beginning to think RHD never had the twist handle glovebox door. If only has a one piece column would the collapsible was possibly a US DOT requirement. Glovebox door is a mystery. Curious if it had 16" split rims or spoke wheels originally? Full floater rear axle hiding under the hub caps?

This one looks amazing. Can't say I have seen all, but all the BJ44 / BJ46 I came across so far in NZ and OZ had only 2 wipers. I think 3 wipers only came on FJ40 LX / BJ42 LX. @Bear is correct on upholstery pattern. I have even seen dual tone all vinyl seats on few of them. One of them even had bench passanger seat at front and 2 extra short jump seats at the back making it 8 seater.

There you go -

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

This one looks amazing. Can't say I have seen all, but all the BJ44 / BJ46 I came across so far in NZ and OZ had only 2 wipers. I think 3 wipers only came on FJ40 LX / BJ42 LX. @Bear is correct on upholstery pattern. I have even seen dual tone all vinyl seats on few of them. One of them even had bench passanger seat at front and 2 extra short jump seats at the back making it 8 seater.

There you go -

View attachment 1495679

View attachment 1495684

Really wondering other than three wiper arms what other options would a LX FJ40/BJ42 have that this BJ46 doesn't have? This interior color and trim package was only available on the SWB LX models as far as I know. Believe only the RHD had three wiper arms, LHD only had two.

Really wondering other than three wiper arms what other options would a LX FJ40/BJ42 have that this BJ46 doesn't have? This interior color and trim package was only available on the SWB LX models as far as I know. Believe only the RHD had three wiper arms, LHD only had two.

To be honest not much (if there is any other than wiper configuration). All I know that FJ40 / BJ42 (LX) were targeted for young urban family buyers rather then rural farmers / offroad users.

LX models were packaged from the factory with 6 seats, 3 wipers and softer suspension for more on road comfort. 5 speed tranny was standard on FJ40 LX and optional on BJ42/41/40 LX. Other creature comforts such as power steering, A/C were optional on both of them.

BJ 44/46 had all the LX features available as an option so buyers could pick and choose as per the needs. I believe they were never badged as LX.

Last edited:
To be honest not much (if there is any other than wiper configuration). All I know that FJ40 / BJ42 (LX) were targeted for young urban family buyers rather then rural farmers / offroad users.

LX models were packaged from the factory with 6 seats, 3 wipers and softer suspension for more on road comfort. 5 speed tranny was standard on FJ40 LX and optional on BJ42/41/40 LX. Other creature comforts such as power steering, A/C were optional on both of them.

BJ 44/46 had all the LX features available as an option so buyers could pick and choose as per the needs. I believe they were never badged as LX.

Was the five speed available prior the 83 model(10/82)? Was the brown interior with all the panels standard or a option on the BJ44/BJ46? Didn't know about the softer suspension on the LX. But the brown interior with the forward facing rear seat were LX only on the SWB? Within the last couple months a non LX model FJ40 with a stock five speed in Australia showed up on Mud. Those are rare. Haven't researched the mid wheel base 4X series that much. Guessing depending on the market would be more or less likely to find them with a five speed. The few I seen coming in from Columbia and Costa Rica had four speeds. I afraid to ask what a nice one from Japan went for.

From this Aussie brochure (Found in another thread here) looks like 5 speed tranny was optional on FJ40 LX too. Although I have never seen 4 speed FJ40 LX (Doesn't mean they don't exist), but have seen plenty of 4 speed BJ42 in this part of the world. Check only 2 wipers and no LX badge in the pictures, also split rims not typical LX chrome wheels.

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

Last edited:
@fjfjfj since it has bucket seats up front does it have the rear heater under the center console? Is the console grey or brown?

I also have a favor to ask regarding your PTO drivelines. Is the spline at the PTO fine or coarse. If fine and the spline section is longer than normal I have a request for a measurement. If coarse or fine section is about a inch and a half then in my Rosanne Rosanne Danna voice, Nevermind.

Very nice information here.

Hope the following helps.

:)

fullsizeoutput_3473.jpeg
IMG_4297.JPG
IMG_4298.JPG
fullsizeoutput_3477.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_347d.jpeg

A reminder: Honsya Plant only manufactured frames/rolling chassis.

When they departed Honsya, they were trucked cross town to Arakawa and to Gifu depending on what the vehicle was to become.

Most of the stuff after 1979 pretty much went all to Arakawa as the Yoshiwara Plant had developed enough capacity to subsume most all export Land Cruiser production, including CKD kits.

Sorry to delay. Am jammed up busy but will get back and answer the above questions, send interior pics. Thanks for all the info. My Vin number is BJ46-000339. So, looks like production date was Feb - March 1983. It is blowing black smoke on acceleration. Anybody know how to fix that? Injectors maybe need to be cleaned? Timing? Have no idea how to do adjust the timing on a 3BII rotary injection pump. I heard that can cause black smoke. Did the compression: 450-420-420-420. :) Glad to see that. Suggestions? Thanks. D

View attachment 1495332 View attachment 1495333 View attachment 1495334 View attachment 1495335 Thanks Bear!! Great Info!! The one I was just able to purchase from northern Japan is a 1983 BJ46 / RHD / 24 Volt / Brown and White Zebra Seats / 5 Speed / Factory AC / Factory Power Steering / Factory PTO Winch / 3B. I won it in an auction over there. I have been looking for an affordable one for years. It arrived and was in much better condition than I expected. Needless to say I was completely stoked. Do you happen to know if all of the JDM BJ46 Cruisers came stock with the Brown and White Zebra Seats? Or was that model considered the LX? I know Toyota did a BJ42 LX. In any case the thing is amazing. I got quite lucky on this one.
You got that from Japan? If I'm not mistaken only cruisers restored in Columbia have the rear quarter panel molded flares on the rear. Also the front fenders look like Columbia reproduction fenders, I can usually tell because the outer edging is bent differently than factory fenders. Also the apron badge is in the incorrect location. That looks like a Columbia cruiser to me, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom