Koyorad vs. TYC Radiator Comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two options from Toyota for 1FZ-FE engined 80 series trucks in NA:

3 core brass: 16400-66040 (8/1992-1/1995)

2 core aluminum: 16400-66081 (1/1995-1/1998).

Both are available from Toyota.

Both are T.Rad (Toyo Rad).

What are the options for a '92 3F-E?

I wish I'd seen this thread before I ordered a Koyorad A1918 from CarID. They sent the TYC. Straight up bait and switch. Waiting on their "response" now. Wasting my damn time. Playing around with the idea of going OEM now that I've been swindled.
Two options from Toyota for 1FZ-FE engined 80 series trucks in NA:

3 core brass: 16400-66040 (8/1992-1/1995)

2 core aluminum: 16400-66081 (1/1995-1/1998).

Both are available from Toyota.

Both are T.Rad (Toyo Rad).

Any benefit of one over the other beno? Efficiency? Capacity? Corrosion resistance/longevity? If it makes a difference, for the vast majority, my rig will see South-West and Pacific North-West, US climates.

I wish I'd seen this thread before I ordered a Koyorad A1918 from CarID. They sent the TYC. Straight up bait and switch. Waiting on their "response" now. Wasting my damn time. Playing around with the idea of going OEM now that I've been swindled.

Any benefit of one over the other beno? Efficiency? Capacity? Corrosion resistance/longevity? If it makes a difference, for the vast majority, my rig will see South-West and Pacific North-West, US climates.

I was curious myself.....google helps

Aluminum VS. Copper-Brass Radiator: Final Thoughts

For the record, back in February I ordered a Koyo radiator. It came as promised and appears to be an original Koyo. Installed the Koyo without any hiccups (Direct bolt-in) and saw an immediate drop in temps. I went from about 194* with the likely original OEM Radiator to 184-186* with the Koyo Rad.

I noticed some coolant loss but couldn't pinpoint where it was until it started drying on the tank. Turns out at the top of my tank, the seam opened and I'm losing a decent bit of coolant.

Still in works with the company that sold me the radiator but as you can imagine, it's a bit of a hassle to have a vehicle down. I'll post up the resolution.

tyc's upper tank looks like its fiber reinforced plastic. I've had both and can say that the Koyo cools better.

Same coolant mix before and after I saw a 5 degree drop with using the koyo.

Last edited:
Rockauto has a Denso radiator for 200, they probably made the OEM in the first place.

Looks like the top tank is not fully clamped on the Koyo, but oddly enough the bottom tank is...

I don't know why anyone would run a brass radiator? Coolants that are now commonly available are formulated for aluminum, at the expense of brass. Aluminum radiators cool better, like all of them, significantly, have never seen a brass that comes close, including Toyota.

There is a TYC in my rig, it cools better than any that have been in it. Don't care about having it repaired, who still does that anyways? Our last, trusted shop went out of business, the last quote I got was $350. for a re-core. I see them as consumables, disposable, they are what ~$110, less than a proper tune-up or a couple of oil changes. Don't care about limping one along for 20yrs, or whatever, if it goes 5yrs, I will be happy, stick a new on in, new core, great cooling, good to go! :meh:

Last edited:
Update on my install... it's been seven months since I posted this comparison and I am extremely happy with the Koyorad. No leaks or issues. Runs mid 180 degrees on the highway. 2,000 mile road trip from San Diego through New Mexico with the family and all our crap. Even off road in the So Cal desert it seldom gets above 195 unless I'm pulling a long grade pushing hard with the truck loaded up. Full thumbs up so far. Knock on wood.

They did not. Toyo Radiator Company (T.Rad) manufactured the 80 series radiators for factory install and service parts support.

Either way, never been disappointed with their parts!

Toyo A1918 has been the choice for the AZ heat for a while now. I purchased one for the shelf a month ago at Autoplicity LLC

How long dI'd you have to wait? I've ordered a few things from them because they are super cheap on certain things but I've waited a month or two for the parts.

Got a NIB Koyorad A1918 sitting in my garage taking up space.. I installed a TRAD this last weekend (along with my supercharger)
anyone interested?

20170420_054753.jpg

20170420_054759.jpg

20170420_054936.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom