KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Dave, will the tops of the drawers be strong enough to hold a fridge slide like the Tembo Tusk one?
Do you mean on top top, or the top of the sides of one drawer? If top top, then yes @Bwood is running a fridge, see first post on page 10 of this thread.

If you mean on top of the sides of the drawers, I wouldn't recommend it for a couple reasons. First you would be cutting the top panel of the drawers to make room for the fridge, and that top is a big contributor to overall rigidity. Second the slides are good for 85 pounds in the drawers, and adding a fridge and slides on top of that would be too much. I suppose you could reinforce the slide attachment method to the drawers, and I think the plastic would hold, certainly the aluminum, but I expect it would be getting tough to slide the drawers with that much weight on them.

I'm not saying you couldn't get it to work, and these drawers are intended to be tweaked and customized, but you would have to be thinking about the above as you went down that path.

If the community wants to give me a fridge I promise to figure it out though ;)

Ok, you guys got me thinking on the way home, and *IF* I were to mod a set of drawers for a fridge, which I don't have, and did not want to just set it on top, it would be via a shelf attached to the aluminum frame directly (orange sides below), and cutting down the drawers to allow them to slide freely without extra weight on them:
Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 7.43.30 PM.png

Your slides would go between the orange sides and the skeleton. Bolting it all directly into the frames would minimize my concerns about stability, and cure drawer overloading.

At least, I think that's how I would do it - hard to say without a fridge and with a backlog of projects ;)

Last edited:
@cruzerDave thank you for actively developing this design! One sort of loaded question though: If I wanted to make one of the drawers a pull out kitchen, similar to this guy's below, do you think the plastic slides would hold up to repeated removal and re-installation?

@cruzerDave thank you for actively developing this design! One sort of loaded question though: If I wanted to make one of the drawers a pull out kitchen, similar to this guy's below, do you think the plastic slides would hold up to repeated removal and re-installation?

You're welcome @whitenoise ;) I love these slides and would not worry about removal and reinstall, but am not clear how exactly you envision incorporating the above???

You might want to buy the upcoming single drawer I am working on instead of a full set if you want the above... not sure?

I need to finish those design tweaks and get a freakin website up as this thread is getting too long, and hope to do both in the next 2 weeks.

@cruzerDave Well, ignore the side-by-side fridge and imagine if one of the drawers could do this, and BTW sorry for hijacking your thread:beer::

3769931487_92f4776cce.jpg

Original source: Yet another FJ60 rear drawer build... - Page 2 - Expedition Portal

Ahhhhhhhhh - now THAT is a customization for the drawers!

Yes you should be good with lots of removals and insertions. Bottom drawer would need to start above the slides though (shouldn't reduce their length/engagement int he tracks), or be re-cut into the front (right side in photo). Depending on your design of the legs, there is even room to store them under the drawer, tho probably not permanently attached.

You're welcome @whitenoise ;) I love these slides and would not worry about removal and reinstall, but am not clear how exactly you envision incorporating the above???

You might want to buy the upcoming single drawer I am working on instead of a full set if you want the above... not sure?

I need to finish those design tweaks and get a freakin website up as this thread is getting too long, and hope to do both in the next 2 weeks.

Damn I never saw you where doing a single drawer.....so like a right and left side single so they could go in together and take one out as needed?

I got mine all installed and thought I'd post up some feedback on the ABS dividers. I think they are too flexible at this point and aren't going to work like I want them to. I'm going to perhaps use 1/4" cut down in width to fit into my slots.

I have noticed that with just poly on the insides of the drawers my stuff does slide around. I was at HF this morning and found some tool drawer liner they had that is 18" wide that seems like will work awesome to keep things in place and protect the bottom of the drawers. Its wet and rainy out so I haven't installed them yet but I think they'll be great.

@nnnnnate If you're looking for stiffer dividers take a look at aluminum sheet, cut to size. Here is a site that will do a 1/8" thick 3003, 18.75x6", for $9.60 each (qty 6 - note the price changes based on how many you buy)

Aluminum Sheet - 6061 - 3003 | Cut 2 Size Metals - ESMW

I haven't used them yet but had eyeballed them for some proto work...

Other option would be simple L bracket in the middle of the divider, maybe 1/2 x 1/2", holding the middle of the ABS in place.

Whatever you do thanks for posting and good luck!

I'm looking at turning one of my drawers into a chuck box. I'll post pictures as I start.

This thread is awesome!!

So I finished them with outdoor carpet, drawer liner, and Led lights. Also put in 30in piano hinges and magnets to allow for flip up wings.

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

Hey Dave,

I suppose the question would have come up at some point but what's the difference between the AHC/non-AHC versions of the drawers? Hopefully non AHC is bigger? (I think it was AHC, you asked about when I ordered the drawers originally).

I flipped my 100-LC (which by the way, your drawers never moved and couldn't have cared less about me crashing) and I just replaced it with a 99 LX470 which has AHC unfortunately. I'm going to try and move the drawers over in the next few days but I suspect they won't be a perfect fit.

Hey Dave,

I suppose the question would have come up at some point but what's the difference between the AHC/non-AHC versions of the drawers? Hopefully non AHC is bigger? (I think it was AHC, you asked about when I ordered the drawers originally).

I flipped my 100-LC (which by the way, your drawers never moved and couldn't have cared less about me crashing) and I just replaced it with a 99 LX470 which has AHC unfortunately. I'm going to try and move the drawers over in the next few days but I suspect they won't be a perfect fit.

The question was if your truck has rear A/C, the condenser is located in the rear passenger side quarter panel. Going off and assumption but I think there is more of a gap on that top side of the drawer system for air circulation if you have rear ac.

Hey Dave,

@incudie first off I'm glad to hear you are okay, flipping a truck is no minor thing. As @MastiffDad14 said the difference was with respect to Rear AC, no differences with respect to suspension type. That compressor back there required a different side plastic trim, and even the rear hatch opening plastic. I show you bought the Non-Rear AC but suspect your LX does have rear AC? I'll be happy to work with you to get the right pieces, or you can cut down the existing if you want, the Non-Rear-AC are bigger so it would just be a matter of trimming.

Thanks! Still shocked we all walked away from that one without even a scratch.

Well shoot, I knew it was something like that. Still learning the ins/outs of the LX but yes, it does have the rear AC. Appreciate the response and support! I think I'll try and give it a trim first and see how that goes.

Looks great. That's exactly what I want to do. How did you attach the carpet to the drawers?
Thanks. I picked up the carpet at lowes. Indoor/outdoor on the 12 foot roll. It was cheap at 46 cents per foot.
Bought a can of 3M super90 and used that to apply the carpet. Once you cut the carpet, spray both the wood and the backside of the carpet. Let it tack up for 5-7 min. Press on. Work the edges good. If u use the super 90, u won't need staples. However you can use a staple gun and punch a few in for good measure. You can use the cheaper super 77 which is the lighter duty spray adhesive and that works too. I wanted to be sure with Florida heat so I went with the big gun. It was a very satisfying project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom