Katit's LX470 2000 - take #2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now I got real problem. Once seats in place, I decided to go for a ride to get fluids moving. Next was all fluids change.

Drove for a few miles, came home. Car running on driveway - my son points out that there is a leak under a car. I KNOW there was no leaks. And this one is right in a middle of a car. Freaking gas literally pouring.

I am shutting down, open tank to relieve pressure - hear hiss. Not dripping.

What to do? My garage now empty ready to continue working on LX470. Decided to drive it in regardless of gas leak so I can get it on a lift.
Start was slower, so it looks like high pressure line is a problem. Quickly got to garage, removed gas cap. Got plenty of fuel on a floor, but it's on a lift now.

QUESTION to all. What could that be?? Everything was OK before I parked car. My initial thought was that it's a squirrel. I don't see any damage from below, maybe above tank?
Also, front lip of tank bent upward. I don't see any damage anywhere around, so maybe it should be like that, but anyways..

IMG_9719.jpg
IMG_9721.jpg
IMG_9722.jpg

I was hoping someone more knowledgable would chime in by now...
The only suggestion I have is pressure build-up pushing it out the filler neck
and then down around the bottom as a result of surface tension/dirt absorption.
So whatever the 100 equivalent is to charcoal canister, etc. (EVAP)

Searched and researched on this topic (fuel leak). I have a hope it's going to be something simple(r).
Yes, there is residual pressure in tank when opening, so there is that.

But, leak comes in after starting truck, and it leaks pretty hard, not fuel smell, not dripping. Huge puddle. And it haven't been.

My guess - high pressure line burst. Plan for tonight - get rear seats out, open access panel and see what is there. Ideally - I will see fuel with ignition/start.

could be a number of things. Evap related, gasket related, hose related... You need to get a mirror or gain acces by dropping the tank to see whats going on. I wouldn't be drving it with a known leak. A static charge can light that off easy.

could be a number of things. Evap related, gasket related, hose related... You need to get a mirror or gain acces by dropping the tank to see whats going on. I wouldn't be drving it with a known leak. A static charge can light that off easy.
Trust me. I had fire extinguisher in my hand when I was driving into garage. It is not dripping. It is pouring. When fuel pump active.

Anyways, I think getting seat off and opening cover to see fuel pump should give me better view vs underneath with mirrors/etc

You mentioned it being parked for a month. Smells like a rat to me. Possibly a rodent ate up on one of the lines coming out of the tank/pump cover plate.

We get a lot of rodent damage in the shop all the time. Just had a 911/991.2 last week with damage to the pddc system wiring after being chewed up. At least 2-3 times a month we have rodent damage roll thru. I've had entire interiors removed to repair damage.

You mentioned it being parked for a month. Smells like a rat to me. Possibly a rodent ate up on one of the lines coming out of the tank/pump cover plate.
Yes. That is my #1 guess. But I didn't see anything from below. Thats why going to check from above.
This is the only explanation which makes sense. But will see. Not rat, but a squirell.

Yes. That is my #1 guess. But I didn't see anything from below. Thats why going to check from above.
This is the only explanation which makes sense. But will see. Not rat, but a squirell.

I had a decomposed squirrel carcass fall out on me from a 911 under tray. Must have gotten stuck in the trans tunnel.
The stuff I have found from rodents dragging in to play with or eat.

I had a decomposed squirrel carcass fall out on me from a 911 under tray. Must have gotten stuck in the trans tunnel.
The stuff I have found from rodents dragging in to play with or eat.
About 10 years ago I had squirrel move whole nest to my E34 540. She did it between 9am and 2pm. When I started car - whole dashboard got lighted up with messages about lights/bulbs/etc. Sh cleaned path by chewing through left headlight wiring. And When I opened hood I found nest made out of leafs with 6 babies.

Well, thats not from fuel pump, at least not where I see it. After starting truck I got some gas there but it's not coming from visible parts.

And of course, I found puddles of water under rear mat.

IMG_9729 (1).jpg

Replaced driver side mudguard. Can someone tell me if I miss anything there? Old one was all mangled up. I am not sure what is the piece with 2 rivets in it? Passenger side doesn't have anything like that, I assembled like on passenger side but feel like I might be missing some pieces there?

IMG_9751.jpg
IMG_9755.jpg
IMG_9756.jpg

Some progress with central console/audio and it looks like I lost one channel in Nakamichi AMP. I think I will leave it as is :( Just need to get it finished for now.

Question: How slow/fast is IMPEX? I placed order for fuel line on 3/3 and it's still "Processing"

A week to 10 days for them to receive the items, 3 days to pack and 2 days for FedEx to deliver.

I've got quite the cart with them, was your guesstimated shipping accurate? They are less than PartSouq, but I don't want to get the shipping bill and get destroyed lol.

I've got quite the cart with them, was your guesstimated shipping accurate? They are less than PartSouq, but I don't want to get the shipping bill and get destroyed lol.
Apart from the packaging, which normally bumps up the shipping by 20% or so

Fuel line finally shipped. Quite a quest ordering from IMPEX. 3 payments total. Paid for part, paid for shipment, then it was $2 short so paid that. Is it really cost effective to run business like this??

On a side note - something nice. I fixed my AMP :) Almost completed stereo install, will post pics soon.

Decided to tackle exhaust manifolds today. Left side was ticking bad and smelling too. I bought both "just because".
Started with easy one. Easy one is easy. I had no issues getting to every bolt and cover, and then manifold itself was removed by tilting down and out from below. See pics. So, I don't see any issue getting this one back. And of course there was no cracks or anything. This side good and easy so far. I am not putting anything back, good access to clean engine a little and drain coolant from a block.

IMG_9845.jpg
IMG_9846.jpg
IMG_9835.jpg
IMG_9834.jpg
IMG_9833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom