Just changed Timing chain and now won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, thanks for looking and responding. I have an 87 pickup, 22-R engine, 2 wheel drive. I just changed all the timing components since the chain guide was broken and after getting it back together it won't start... or even try to. I am pretty sure that I did everything right on the timing. I would think that if that was the issue then the truck would at least try to crank over (please correct me if I am wrong). I am thinking to look at the starter and relay but was hoping someone could tell me if this could be a symptom of me F**cking something up while the engine was torn apart, or any other something that might cause this. I get a click when I turn the key and a louder click when I let it go. The battery is old so I will replace that as well but I don't think this is the problem. Lights and everything work and the headlights don't seem dimmer than usual. I appreciate the help, me and my 9yr old daughter are taking my truck to from OR to MN and camping along the way in a week and a half so I need to figure it out or have a very disappointed little girl (of course all the other problems that go along with not having a working vehicle but that is a secondary worry)!

Did you have a cranking, battery issue before the work? Can you turn the engine over by hand( 19mm crank bolt) should always spin manually 360 and recheck your timing marks. Hopefully you are not out of time and causing piston valve interference.

It's either, in my order of suspicion:

Battery
Cable from battery to starter.
No/poor ground.
Starter, but I doubt it.

Starting systems are not rocket science on these old trucks. Don't over analyze this. Grab a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery. Or, take the battery to a auto-box store and have them test it under load. Check/clean the connections at the battery. I once had a new cable fail at the terminal. Took forever to figure that one out.

Thanks for the replies, I was worried that I messed up the timing. Hooked up another battery directly to the starter and turned the key, it started up great! So it is either the relay or the 4 feet of wire going to the starter from there.

No relay.

Actually there's a relay on the passenger side engine compart for starting if it's a manual transmission.

Actually there's a relay on the passenger side engine compart for starting if it's a manual transmission.
No relay. Battery positive to starter. Wire straight from ignition to starter. Nothing in between ... except for maybe a neutral start switch.
Starting.jpg

@pappy, post 10 or 11 of the link I posted. It appeared on later models after 86 I believe

Starter_Relay-1.jpg

Mine has a relay. I wonder when Toyota started putting them in.

I bought a spare like ten years ago, my original is still fine.

Typically the relay doesn't go bad. The wire that toyota uses to start the system has problems over time. With the auto tranny they use a single wire from the ignition to starter to start it. After 20+ years it goes to s*** and that's why I had to wire in my own relay.

Mine has a relay. I wonder when Toyota started putting them in.

I bought a spare like ten years ago, my original is still fine.
I'm not only wondering when they went to the relay, but why? It just adds complexity that isn't really needed.

To me it just puts a lot of amps through the ignition switch to back feed the starter. I've never understood that one. However Toyota's electronic systems are pretty stout.

Except the ignition wire doesn't turn the starter. The 4G wire does off the battery. All the ignition does is excite the starter solenoid. I guess Mr. T. had a reason for the relay.

That wire that's supposed to excite the starter eventually starts to suck though sadly.

I'm not only wondering when they went to the relay, but why? It just adds complexity that isn't really needed.

Lower current through the ignition switch & wiring maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom