JIS Bolt kit suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.birdothebird.com
Hi, I'm painting my FJ40 and I thought that I should replace rusted and stripped bolts and screws. I've been looking to get a full bolt kit but I can't make up my mind and have a couple of questions.

I've been looking a Metric Overland which I like, but their 1000pc Full Kit Yellow Zinc plated kit has been unavailable for a few months. The gold kit is a bit too expensive for me.
I've also been looking at this one on Ebay LINK . That kit has the flange which I like, but I don't think it has all the hardware necessary at 760 Pieces.

Anyone has any suggestions or links to other kits that they like?

Also, I read on another thread that these kits don't include ALL the bolts, like the Phillips style head ones. Would anyone know if there's a kit with the rest of the screws, or which bolts/screws are usually not included in the "Full" bolt kits?

Thank you!

If overland metric is out you could try boltdepot-dot-com. You can buy small quatinties from them. They shipped my little assortment out fast.

McMaster-Carr also has a large selection of bolts.

You won't be disappointed if you get the gold CAD and you can PM him for special needs that are not part of the kit.
He is more that willing to help. Great source and good stuff.

Sorry about th stock issue on the Yellow Zinc kits.

Thankfully they are on a plane as I type this and we expect them to be delivered this week. I am accepting orders starting tomorrow on the kits.

As far as the Phillips head, I offer those in stainless. If you are doing a full resto, I would suggest just buying an assortment and if you get through those, just order a few more. Cheap or Free 2-3 day shipping makes this relatively painless.

If you want to stay with carbon steel on the phillips, try Bel Metric or the prev. mentioned Bolt Depot., or find a good Ace Hardware or other old school hardware store.

Last edited:

Thankfully they are on a plane as I type this and we expect them to be delivered this week. I am accepting orders starting tomorrow on the kits.

As far as the Phillips head, I offer those in stainless. If you are doing a full resto, I would suggest just buying an assortment and if you get through those, just order a few more. Cheap or Free 2-3 day shipping makes this relatively painless.

If you want to stay with carbon steel on the phillips, try Bel Metric or the prev. mentioned Bolt Depot., or find a good Ace Hardware or other old school hardware store.
So tell me. Does the kit have literally every single bolt need for a restoration? Are they just tub bolts, or frame, or engine accessories, or all the above. I’m almost ready for reassembly on my frame-off and I’d definitely buy the kit if it’s covers everything, or almost everything as what I took off of the 40 is more or less shot.

The kit has only hex head hardware, so it does not cover the various phillips hardware. It also does not include any speciality hex bolts or anything above M10. For example the tub to frame bolts are special shoulder bolts. Some of the brake hardware is also speciality. But other than these, it should cover almost an entire frame off as far as hex hardware goes, including the tub, frame, and engine.

If you haven't seen it, check out the spreadsheet created by Coolerman, it is what I based the kit make up.

@davework, if you were to compare the Yellow Zinc to the the Gold Cad kits, how much better is the Gold Cad purely from corrosion standpoint? Trying to talk myself into the Gold Cad kit, but not sure if the bang for the buck is there from a purely corrosion protection standpoint. I don't really care about the color.

Thank you very much @davework! I might get an assortment. I appreciate the input!

Everyone should know a JIS phillips type head should use a JIS specific screwdriver. Using a non JIS phillips will usually damage the + in the bolt or screw when loosening a very tight or corroded in place fastener and the same possibly when tightening. Anyone that's ever owned a Japanese motorcycle and stripped the side cover screws probably used a non JIS screwdriver.
ed

@davework, if you were to compare the Yellow Zinc to the the Gold Cad kits, how much better is the Gold Cad purely from corrosion standpoint? Trying to talk myself into the Gold Cad kit, but not sure if the bang for the buck is there from a purely corrosion protection standpoint. I don't really care about the color.

The Gold CAD has characteristics that do make it better in corrosive environments. I usually tell people that if they live in rust prone area and plan to drive the truck in those conditions, then get the Gold CAD. If you live in AZ and plan to drive the truck on the weekends, not necessary. You might be somewhere in between, so may have to decide.

The kit has only hex head hardware, so it does not cover the various phillips hardware. It also does not include any speciality hex bolts or anything above M10. For example the tub to frame bolts are special shoulder bolts. Some of the brake hardware is also speciality. But other than these, it should cover almost an entire frame off as far as hex hardware goes, including the tub, frame, and engine.

If you haven't seen it, check out the spreadsheet created by Coolerman, it is what I based the kit make up.
Perfect! Will I be able to place an order even though the site says sold out?

Everyone should know a JIS phillips type head should use a JIS specific screwdriver. Using a non JIS phillips will usually damage the + in the bolt or screw when loosening a very tight or corroded in place fastener and the same possibly when tightening. Anyone that's ever owned a Japanese motorcycle and stripped the side cover screws probably used a non JIS screwdriver.
ed

Great Kit!

Vessel Tools A-16510 - 8 pc. Megadora

I just bought everything I needed off of McMaster Carr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom