Builds Jacks 40 to fake 45 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, that’s impressive! Not an easy thing to do and get even that nice of fit 👏.

Pending sale on the 68 FST. This should help get this project rolling.
Added a set of bed mounts in the rear. Got the floor skin cut out. Needs a bit of fine trimming but it fits pretty good as is.

View attachment 3259033View attachment 3259035View attachment 3259039View attachment 3259045
Of course the ship has already sailed for your box floor… but I’ve seen floors made out of salvaged pickup box floors to get the corrugated metal. Just throwing it out there for others following your thread.

Jack, I have a piece of U shaped metal that was made to go over rear sill and floor if you want it. I know exactly where that part is. Probably sitting in same spot for fifteen years.

Of course the ship has already sailed for your box floor… but I’ve seen floors made out of salvaged pickup box floors to get the corrugated metal. Just throwing it out there for others following your thread.

Unless you get a bed for free, it's not worth it. It would be a ton of work to strip a bed just for the floor. I looked at replacement bed floors too, but too expensive for my build. If you had a decent usable bed and only needed a few mods, that would be pretty convenient.
Maybe an early mini truck bed could be cool......

Jack, I have a piece of U shaped metal that was made to go over rear sill and floor if you want it. I know exactly where that part is. Probably sitting in same spot for fifteen years.

Thanks for the offer, but I am good. My rear sill piece is not stock, so that piece might not work.

I am going to reinstall the under seat tool box. I may rework the driver side seat mount as well......
Trying to keep most things as factory as possible.

20230226_171324.jpg

Nice work! 👍🏻

Got the bed corners roughed out. The drivers side seem to have extra metal. I had to do some slices to relieve the curve. It's not perfect, but much better. Not sure if this was because the PO body work.....reskinned quarter panels or my mess up. Either way.......we move forward now.

20230305_130858.jpg
20230305_130907.jpg
20230305_130941.jpg

I have the same rear tire carrier on the ‘76, but it needs bushings. I may have found a solution if yours are shot too. Let me know. Build looks great bud👍

Made some reinforcement plates for the tire carrier mounts. Tacked the rear sill cover piece In place as well.
I ordered a rivet nut tool and associated goodies. I will use nut inserts to hold the tire carrier catch and the tailgate hinges in place.

20230307_183609.jpg

20230307_183618.jpg

I snagged a Nissan hardbody truck bed at a scrap yard for $200. I used only the interior sheeting. It was too easy and cheap not to.... it would have been almost $100 in raw sheet metal to do the same thing. I hate to see you go to all that work and have a flat floor on the bed. Every little dent will show, it's weaker, doesn't look OEM, and stuff will slide around easier. Just my opinion..... but carry on.

20211231_132303.jpg

20220102_182821.jpg

I snagged a Nissan hardbody truck bed at a scrap yard for $200. I used only the interior sheeting. It was too easy and cheap not to.... it would have been almost $100 in raw sheet metal to do the same thing. I hate to see you go to all that work and have a flat floor on the bed. Every little dent will show, it's weaker, doesn't look OEM, and stuff will slide around easier. Just my opinion..... but carry on.

View attachment 3267744

View attachment 3267745
You make good points, but I'm pretty sure Jack's produced enough quality to earn the benefit of the doubt without snark.

You make good points, but I'm pretty sure Jack's produced enough quality to earn the benefit of the doubt without snark.
He mentioned earlier it wouldn't be worth it unless the bed was free. $200 is hard to pass up with the price of raw sheet metal these days. Perhaps he hasn't been to a salvage yard lately and priced out a complete bed. Obviously he knows what he's doing.... I was merely pointing out a different path that could be taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom