Is this what a rear heater failure looks like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG

Dripping coolant along passenger side step and under carpet. Does everyone just bypass it because its cheaper and also to not worry about the failure ever again?

Ya, it's your under seat heater core leaking, The nice thing is, if you decide to replace it, at least it's an easy job to do. If you don't replace it, I'd at least remove that seat so you can dry out that wet carpet.

Hopefully thats the rear heater core and not the front. I may have a rear heater core if you end up needing one. Drop a PM

Any wetness further up on pass floorboard toward firewall.

Looks like you were parked on an incline and fluid ran back before dripping? Typ have seen the under car rear heat lines rust through instead and the drip is up behind front tire where cats are.

just remove that over sized paper weight. I removed mine and installed my dual arb compressor in the same spot.

Turns out rear heater is fine, its the front heater core that is leaking. $$$ On the bright side im glad it failed before leaving for my snow trip to mammoth.

Turns out rear heater is fine, its the front heater core that is leaking. $$$ On the bright side im glad it failed before leaving for my snow trip to mammoth.

This is one of those times where I like when people put their location so we can play percentages when it comes to issues.

It took a bit more scrolling to see the PS floorpan, and at that point I was wondering front core as OP found out (was thinking 50/50 front or rear mentally myself) - but glad you found it as just the 1st pic if you were a Midwesterner would mean rotted hardlines.

Glad you found it, and at least you didn't do this in an Audi (pull the dashboard).

NLXTACY, so now I can expect to see a field shower kit on your website?

You laugh but it's been on my radar for the past 18 months. I keep getting to a certain point then when I hit a roadblock I focus on another project. Perhaps I should give this some love again. :hmm:

You laugh but it's been on my radar for the past 18 months. I keep getting to a certain point then when I hit a roadblock I focus on another project. Perhaps I should give this some love again. :hmm:

Roadblocks or ADD?

have fun! be sure to take your time, take a ton of before during anf after pics. Be sure to replace any bulbs in the dash and cluster that are no longer working. add a new deck if your in need of one. Its a bitch. Took me a couple weekends but Its doable. take both seats out and you'll have so much more room to work. also a good time to remove the consoles, clean them and vacuum the carpets.

If you want to use a factory (87107-60130) heater core,you might want to look for one right away. I think i read on Beno's "parts discontinued by Toyota thread" that it's been discontinued by Toyota.

Last edited:
This is what I found out since I just went through this. There may be other options as well. 96.5+ uses single row heater core. Parts are available, will have aluminum heater pipes. I have a heater core for this model that I bought off rock auto, never used if anyone is interested....

Before that, they use a double row heater core. Pricey $300+ for the core. Unfortunately, my heater pipe cracked and is discontinued by toyota. Jesse @ ATLR said it was the first time he ever saw something like that. I took most of my dash apart and then it was cold and I threw up the white flag. Jesse took it from there and it took him another 5 hours. What I did I didn't think was too bad (85% of the dash) But trying to cut off the heater hoses under the hood was a pain and it was cold and dark....

I can send pages from the FSM which I thought were helpful if you're interested.

I had to replace my front heater core....... the entire dash has to come out and you need to disconnect the A/C line.......the OEM core was north of $300 and I believe it's been discontinued (+ re-establishing the A/C system) . Worst job I've ever had to do in my 23+ years with the truck. I'm not sure about a "bright side".

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to. My bet is someone put tap water into the system?

87107-60130: Heater Core assembly

1991-8/1996 FJ80 and FZJ80.

I have the last two available.
Yep, i went back and looked up Beno's thread, he said on Dec. 27 2016 that they have been discontinued.

Whoa, I ordered mine on 12/14/16!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom