Is the original stereo worth anything to anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I threw my fully functioning one in the trash when I replaced it. It had all the knobs, too (If I remember correctly). Didn't even think to think someone might want it.
Same here only twice. I didn't see the value in keeping a radio from the last century.
If the knobs are so valuable why not have someone 3D print a few? a 21st century solution to a 20th century problem.... @Outsane

I definitely see the appeal of newer options and though I'm probably in the minority on this I see a lot of appeal to the original headsets as well. Not totally on topic but thought I'd share some "alternative" reasons to keep the factory headset in hopes that it helps a few more stay out of the trash!

Cosmetically the original style headsets are one of the features I remember most clearly from driving Toyota's in the 90s and I definitely enjoy that connection. I spent a lot of time learning to quickly tune the bass/treble/balance/fade without looking all those years ago and it would be a shame to not put those skills to use ;) I also really like that the 80 can be a screen-free zone if I put the phone(s) out of site. Not running nav on the headset also means one less device to manage connections, updates, etc. for. I probably value a lot of this more because I'm a programmer by trade and like stepping away from management of IT when I can.

Another way of seeing the appeal of keeping the original headset aligns with that of Vinyl collectors who enjoy the experience that the format offers. For instance I've really enjoyed rotating my old CDs and cassettes through my 80. These older formats encourage repeat listens to the recordings in the order they were recorded and it's fun for me to revisit music the same way that I experienced it a few decades ago. Without the 80 they'd never get played and would likely have been binned (many were over the years). Interestingly younger folks seem to be leading the interest in vinyl, cassettes, film cameras, etc. but I think anyone can enjoy them in the right situation.

I also have a bluetooth adapter and listen to spotify, podcasts, take hands-free calls etc. in the 80 so I'm not giving up a ton there with the old headset and as my phone improves so do most of those functions.

Throw in some new speakers, replace the stock sub with an under-the-set style enclosed sub and enjoy decent sound quality and for a few of us at least, a better experience while driving our 80s.

I'll continue to read and appreciate the builds with the new headsets, backup cameras, built-in trail maps, etc. but hope to see a few enjoying the old headsets out there too.

I am interested, if the tape player worked when remvoed. I don't give a crap about the CD, but the tape player has gotta work!

I think I sold mine for $20 in "untested but complete" condition. The real question is does anyone need a rear heater assembly?

I am interested, if the tape player worked when remvoed. I don't give a crap about the CD, but the tape player has gotta work!
I responded to your PM

Send me a photo of the dash and I can see, but it is supposed to.
Unfortunaltely its in storage. Unit looks the same size but without CD I think and EQ controls are on lower left. Check if plugs A and B are the same from the attached EWD... TIA!

Attachments

• 140-143_radio.pdf
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
The stereo is sold, but I am enjoying the thread.

I definitely see the appeal of newer options and though I'm probably in the minority on this I see a lot of appeal to the original headsets as well. Not totally on topic but thought I'd share some "alternative" reasons to keep the factory headset in hopes that it helps a few more stay out of the trash!

Cosmetically the original style headsets are one of the features I remember most clearly from driving Toyota's in the 90s and I definitely enjoy that connection. I spent a lot of time learning to quickly tune the bass/treble/balance/fade without looking all those years ago and it would be a shame to not put those skills to use ;) I also really like that the 80 can be a screen-free zone if I put the phone(s) out of site. Not running nav on the headset also means one less device to manage connections, updates, etc. for. I probably value a lot of this more because I'm a programmer by trade and like stepping away from management of IT when I can.

Another way of seeing the appeal of keeping the original headset aligns with that of Vinyl collectors who enjoy the experience that the format offers. For instance I've really enjoyed rotating my old CDs and cassettes through my 80. These older formats encourage repeat listens to the recordings in the order they were recorded and it's fun for me to revisit music the same way that I experienced it a few decades ago. Without the 80 they'd never get played and would likely have been binned (many were over the years). Interestingly younger folks seem to be leading the interest in vinyl, cassettes, film cameras, etc. but I think anyone can enjoy them in the right situation.

I also have a bluetooth adapter and listen to spotify, podcasts, take hands-free calls etc. in the 80 so I'm not giving up a ton there with the old headset and as my phone improves so do most of those functions.

Throw in some new speakers, replace the stock sub with an under-the-set style enclosed sub and enjoy decent sound quality and for a few of us at least, a better experience while driving our 80s.

I'll continue to read and appreciate the builds with the new headsets, backup cameras, built-in trail maps, etc. but hope to see a few enjoying the old headsets out there too.

I agree with all of this. Especially repeat listens of albums all the way thru. You can obviously do this with a modern H.U., but internet induced ADD is real and disconnecting from the hive occasionally isn't a bad idea. Not to mention, an amazon commercial between a black flag and d.r.i. song feels...odd.

I replaced my stereo with a nice Android Auto Kenwood head unit and really disliked it. So much so that I ripped it out this winter and reinstalled the factory stereo. I am definitely way happier with this setup. The only downside is that it has sent me down a rabbit hole of seeking out all my favorite cassettes.

It's worth mentioning that the OEM stereo was made in Japan by Matsushita and is arguably higher quality than most head units produced now. Any HiFi nerd will attest to the quality of MIJ electronics (probably preaching to the choir on a toyota forum). Either way, I've come to the conclusion that the OEM stereo with aftermarket speakers is the perfect setup for me.

Which Bluetooth adapter are you using? And, yeah, OE headunits are better on a tactile and visual front.

The factory HU in my 97 is a keeper for the FM section alone. It doesnt sacrifice fidelity in the presence of noise.

Which Bluetooth adapter are you using?

Sorry @richmondbob I missed your question. I'm running an iSimple ISFM2351 Tranzit bluetooth adapter from Ebay:

I'm not sure if it's the best on the market but it has worked fine for the years that I've had it installed. I use it most of the times that I'm driving for podcasts, music and calls. Volume could be a little higher sometimes but typically that's not a problem. I don't know how the phone quality is but folks don't complain and I've used it for a lot of calls while driving.

I installed mine to get power off of a separate switch that is downstream of the ignition on/off switch. That way, if I'm using it I just leave the "bluetooth" switch on and my phone connects automatically when the 80 is powered up. If I don't want to use the 80s Bluetooth I can switch it off and don't have to worry about my phone connecting to my 80 accidentally and disconnecting my headphones/similar. The switch is also handy if you have any trouble changing devices that are connected as you can force it to power off and then it will reconnect to whatever device is available when it comes back on, etc.. We use it for the kids tablet audio on trips sometimes so may switch from the phone which plays the audio to the tablet while underway and it's nice to have a simple way to power cycle the bluetooth unit.

I remain very happy with the stock headset, replacement speakers, powered sub and bluetooth adapter setup and think it's a great option for an 80.

Sorry @richmondbob I missed your question. I'm running an iSimple ISFM2351 Tranzit bluetooth adapter from Ebay:

I'm not sure if it's the best on the market but it has worked fine for the years that I've had it installed. I use it most of the times that I'm driving for podcasts, music and calls. Volume could be a little higher sometimes but typically that's not a problem. I don't know how the phone quality is but folks don't complain and I've used it for a lot of calls while driving.

I installed mine to get power off of a separate switch that is downstream of the ignition on/off switch. That way, if I'm using it I just leave the "bluetooth" switch on and my phone connects automatically when the 80 is powered up. If I don't want to use the 80s Bluetooth I can switch it off and don't have to worry about my phone connecting to my 80 accidentally and disconnecting my headphones/similar. The switch is also handy if you have any trouble changing devices that are connected as you can force it to power off and then it will reconnect to whatever device is available when it comes back on, etc.. We use it for the kids tablet audio on trips sometimes so may switch from the phone which plays the audio to the tablet while underway and it's nice to have a simple way to power cycle the bluetooth unit.

I remain very happy with the stock headset, replacement speakers, powered sub and bluetooth adapter setup and think it's a great option for an 80.

No worries, appreciate the reply. That Bluetooth unit looks like it'll do the trick for me along with some new speakers and a powered sub.

FY!: I couldn’t find the original Mud post but here is the Bluetooth module a Mud member is selling…….

1695564065447.png

FY!: I couldn’t find the original Mud post but here is the Bluetooth module a Mud member is selling…….

View attachment 3438863

I was looking for this post earlier. Yeah, this'd be a good option to run Bluetooth connectivity while keeping the factory deck. The iSimple unit has the mike and phone features, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom